“Surly waiter”

Cuisines: Asian, Burmese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had one of the surliest waiters that I've ever had at this restaurant. He gave the impression that he would be very happy if I just went away. He took a long time to come to take my order and to bring the bill when I was finished. I complained to the woman who was most likely the owner, She apologized profusely; but that doesn't make up for the bad service.

I would rate the food between three and four. I had a northern Burma noodle dish with shrimp and chicken. The food was lukewarm when it arrived but was reasonably tasty. I had expected a somewhat more exotic dish from the reviews. Perhaps I ordered badly.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I work only a few blocks from this place, but only stopped in last week for the first time with my gentlemanfriend. We has the thousand layer bread with vantana beans, and two tofu dishes- a spicy one with green beans and a milder coconut dish. Both were very good. Service was fine; decor is subdued; tons of tofu/vegetarian dishes; spicy dishes marked; reasonable pricing. I'm looking forward to going back to try the thousand other things there that sounded interesting. If you've never had Burmese or are in the Chinatown area, definitely worth stopping in!

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Dined here and enjoyed every bite. The thousand layer bread was nicely The Burmese Lentil tofu was light as air and delicate and a wonderful change from a heavier fried tofu. The cabbage salad was crispy and delicious. The green curry was great with the perfect heat. The house noodle was my least favorite, and seemed almost like Burmese beef-a-roni, but it was still tasty, just not as great as everything else. The wine selection was mediocre. The service is attentive and quick, and the interior was pretty and understated. What a great meal!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We were in town visiting family and they took us to this restaurant. We were really excited to try something new and we were not disappointed. Excellent food and flavor and the ambience was excellent. All the family members loved it. I would go there again and again if we are in town again. Would TOTALLY recommend it

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Rangoon is just north of the Gallery on 9th street, a brief walk from Market East train station. We stopped in at an odd hour (4 pm) while awaiting a train, and were not disappointed. The soups were flavorful and the $4 price appropriate. The two mains we had were not particularly memorable, but tasted just fine. Everything we ordered had the "spicey hot" symbol, so we expected stronger flavors. If and when we go again (which we probably will) we'll make a point of requesting additional heat.