“Not BYOB anymore!!! Great little Mexican place. Friendly service. Inexpensive. Quaint”
Review of Baja Room - CLOSED

Great little Mexican place. Friendly service. Inexpensive. Quaint

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

“Go somewhere else”
Reviewed 10 February 2006

I have only been here once (on Feb 9 2006 for dinner), so my opinion may not be the most objective. I have no intention of EVER returning, if that tells you anything. Based off of my visit, I can say this:

My waitress was cranky and rude.
1. She complained about another customer's poor (but well justified) tip to another waitress right in the middle of the dining area. I quote: "This won't pay the bills"
2. She pushed me to order while I waited for the rest of my party. The place was not full, and having me eat while I wait for the others won't get me out the door any faster anyway.
3. She rolled her eyes and complained about an extra person showing up to join my party at the last minute.
4. She rudely insisted that everyone order based off of the number on the menu, not the name of the dish because "it's just easier." It's not McDonald's! Even the final check only had the numbers - that made it a bit difficult to split a bill with others.

I am by no means a quantity over quality diner, but I thought that the portions were small and overpriced. Beans and low-grade meats shouldn't cost much. This place will nickel-dime you as well. Unlike some Philadelphia BYOB's, they will charge you extra for any drinks that you bring in - even if just want to drink a beer out of a bottle and not use their glassware. If I recall, even simple things like cheese cost extra.

Lastly, the place is small. Sure, it may be quaint, but the kitchen was too close to the dining are so my clothes smelled like refried beans after dinner. The closeness of the tables and the fact that you can listen in on nearly any conversation in the place really ruins the quaintness as well. The waitresses must also think the place is too small . . . there is nowhere for them to go to complain about the guests where they cannot be overheard!

Go to El Azteca instead - Pico de Gallo is for yuppies that prefer decor to quality food and service.

1 Thank HGE