“Buffet Style / Chinese Breakfast”

Philly's Gourmet Cafe
Ranked #2,646 of 4,394 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Miami Beach, Florida
“Buffet Style / Chinese Breakfast”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is a buffet style place with Chinese and American foods for breakfast. It is not much more than a McDonald's with runny scrambled eggs, pancakes, and hard boiled eggs. The fruit in the buffet was not too bad, some grapes, pineapple, melon. But the food was not very tasty, it was just food.

There was a woman outside waving people inside, and my husband had seen it the day prior.

The next morning I just had a protein bar and some fruit in my hotel room and saved myself the money on something I didn't really enjoy.

The food is weighed, I believe it's 6.99 per pound for the breakfast. We took ours to our hotel room around the corner. They also have refrigerators with some juices, drinks, yogurt, etc. for sale at a separate price. If you are in a big hurry and just need something fast on the go, you can get by, but I think there are much better choices than this for a meal.

It wasn't incredibly busy but there were some rude people. One man, who seemed to know the ropes, cut right in front of my daughter and I in the line even though I told him that we (4 of us) were all together (having to weigh all of our food and pay at once) and he did not budge so I simply handed our containers (styrofoam) to my husband.

Some of the items I had no idea what they were on the food bar. One description was written in Chinese, others had items with noodles but I was unsure of the rest of the ingredients. One had whole eggs that had no shells, but were brown and cracking on the outside. Not being accustomed to that sort of cuisine, I did not know what it was and there were no explanations for those of us who are not accustomed to Asian foods.

Every man for himself. :)

• Visited July 2014

Greensboro, North Carolina
“There is better”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We weren't initially planning on going into this place, but it appears we were whisked in by a friend who saw their combo deal. Anywhere else in the world I would give this place 4/5, but in Philadelphia there are better places to get a Philly Cheesesteak, that said, their hoagies were delicious and their buffet looked pretty decent. The combo prices were also a great deal for what you got. If you are starving and just finished up with the Liberty Bell or Independence Hall then going here might not be so bad for the price, but if you can wait there are places not that far that have better food.

Visited March 2014
Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
“Will never eat here again”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

It's a Monday morning and I had 3 hours to make time of while I waited to finish the business I had gone to Philadelphia to do and so from 2nd street to Independence Mall, maybe a 10 minute walk and while I was walking I was looking for some place to have breakfast. The time is 8:30 in morning, the first place I came upon was Philly's Gourmet Cafe. There was an oriental lady outside waving people to come inside. I figured, why not? So inside I go, the first thing I see is wall to wall people. Their sitting area is so small that you are actually bumping into people to get to a table and you have to share tables. I also felt out of place as 99.9 percent of the patrons were oriental, but Im not one to be prejudice against anyone. The buffet was nice, a variety of breakfast items from sausage, bacon, eggs, pancakes, french toast, potatoes and a variety of fruit items. You also have a variety of drinks and they also have a deli as well. I place my food in a styrofoam container and proceed to the check out. How much could it be? When I got up to the register I learned that they price your food by the ounce! That was a shock because what I had gotten would have only cost between $8-$10 somewhere else. I have to remember though this is Philadelphia. So now I have my food and I found a table all the way in the back corner and I have a seat. next to me on bar stools are to young Oriental girls. Now as I am sitting there eating 1 girl takes out a comb and the other a brush and start to do their hair, combing and brushing. I mentioned early that seating is so close together and as soon as these girls started to comb their hair so close to someone else's food that would make anyone lose there appetite. And that is why I will never go there again.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank pretblueye
Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania
“Good Place for Lunch Menu”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

It was not too far from our ride to get to the café. It was extremely business during the lunch. The menu had many different food options and the price was very affordable. Good food.

Visited December 2013