“Nice people, not great food”
Review of New Harmony

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
New York City, New York
“Nice people, not great food”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We are big fans of Chinese vegetarian restaurants, and have eaten in them in many locations. Unfortunately, this one is a little substandard. The people working there were super sweet, but the food reminded me of the type of Chinese food we could get in the 1970s American suburbs, complete with that indefinable bright red sweet and sour sauce. Good if you have a retro appetite, not so good if you are at all health conscious.

Phoenix, Arizona
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I was excited to find this restaurant as I was meeting my mother in Philly for lunch (we both traveled 2 hours by train to get there). Since I am vegan and my mother likes Chinese food this seemed like a perfect place. We tried the dim sum sampler. By and large it was inedible. The dumplings were too doughy and the fillings were bland at best. Then there were the fried varieties which did not fare much better. The scallion pancakes were nothing more than patties of fried dough with no taste. The best part of the meal, stir fried tofu and vegetables. It is possible that we should have ordered off the menu with other dishes. However, having been to many other Chinese vegetarian restaurants, this one was sub-par.

On the positive side, the service was good.

• Visited December 2013
Fleetwood, Pennsylvania
“Lunch-time in Philadelphia”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I thought the food was good - not great, but good- I enjoyed the eggplant and tofu in garlic sauce but the sauce was only so - so. Although listed on the menu under appetizer, the coconut squares were labeled dessert but they came with the appetizers. Oh well....

Its not easy finding a vegetarian restaurant in the city so I appreciated their effort.

• Visited November 2013
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Great idea, execution lacking the night we visited”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

With 2 dedicated vegetarians in the family I was psyched to visit a restaurant where they could eat anything on the entire menu. The owner waited on us during a slow weekday dinner period and basically picked out a selection of his favorites for us to try. Unfortunately, we were underwhelmed. Most dishes seemed heavy and oily, not the bright fresh asian flavors we were expecting. We really liked Ming, maybe they were just having an off night in the kitchen. The place is not very well-kept but that is part of the experience, it's like eating in a good friend's home - one who's not terribly obsessed with housekeeping. I like those kind of people.

• Visited July 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Vegan Chinese Restaurant”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I was happy to find a vegan Chinese restaurant to try in Chinatown. My kids loved the vegetable pancakes and I enjoyed the sweet and sour chicken.

• Visited August 2013