“No longer curious....”

D'Angelo's Ristorante Italiano
Reserve with OpenTable
D'Angelo's Ristorante Italiano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #322 of 4,509 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: City Center West
Reviewed 19 September 2013

A friend and I went to 20th Street to eat at a seafood restaurant --which turned out to not be open for luinch. D'Angelo's was near by and we decided to try it for the first time. We were the only customer on the inside of the restaurant. We both had squid and I had mussels marinara. The squis was a little over done and the mussels had some un-mixed in salt in the marinara. Overall I was a little disappointed. The service was okay, but I would hesitate to fully recommend this place. .

1  Thank oldsailor47

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We sat outside which is a great option to have. Food was overall fairly good. My biggest complaint is that I ordered a tomato salad in the beginning of September and expected to get ripe tomatoes. Instead they were hard, not ripe, and tasted like cardboard - horrible. Service was good. I would say it's not a great restaurant and will never be a favorite but it is predictable. This was my third time there in two years.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Average at best. For the area it needs to be better. Food was homemade, place was not bad but does not compare to the other high end joints in the area. Service was OK. Looking for more when staying in city. This place could be an OK spot for locals on weeknight. Felt over dressed.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Considering the dining scene in Philly, this place just doesn't cut it. Bad food, uncreatively done. You can do SO much better in the neighborhood.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We went to D 'Angelo's for a late New Year's Eve dinner (9:30). We were offered a choice of tables, either a square table at one end or a booth-like table at the other end. We chose the square table (bad choice) and were seated by the loudest patrons on that level. I know it's New Year's but the people (20 and 30 something) were literally shouting as if they were at their dining room table at home! On top of that, another very loud party was seated next to us; however, they eventually seemed to understand that if everyone shouts, nobody in the whole room could hear themselves!
Despite that, the dinner was very good. D 'Angelo's offers formal service and the attendants offered just the right amount of attention to our table. They were right on it for the drinks, courses and water, but did not hover or interrupt conversation.
I started out with lentil soup which as tasty like home-made, however, it could have been hotter. It was lukewarm. (I have been accused of liking my liquids in the thermonuclear mode) The main entree was broiled flounder with escarole which was a wonderful combination. Fish done nicely - flaky and light. My husband had shrimp, crab meat and asparagus over pasta in an oil and garlic sauce. Very delicious. We shared a piece of chocolate cake which was plenty! I ordered an Irish coffee, also tasted as good as it looked. Hubby ordered a regular coffee and the cup was on the small size and barely past half full. That's was a little disappointing, because the coffee was very good.
We went down to the club and looked forward to a mixed crowd with a variety of music. We were very disappointed with the DJ. I felt like I was listening to the top ten on AM radio. Within the hour, he was back to the same songs we heard as we entered. The DJ seemed to have no flow. I asked for some retro - Michael Jackson. The dance floor filled up. As soon as he went back to the top ten, he was catering to the 10 younger people in front of the DJ stand, and many people left, including us.
Part of the reason we chose D 'Angelo s was because we thought there was a mixed crowd with varying musical genres. We'd been there a couple of years ago, and the place was packed with all ages.
Unfortunately, we will not be going back for the club part, but we will have dinner again on much quieter evening, and I'm sure we will not be disappointed with the food or service.

1  Thank sharkyteresa