“A hidden gem of a hotel! Slightly out of downtown, but well worth it. WONDERFUL STAFF!!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue
Ranked #42 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 18 April 2012

It was necessary for me to stay here during a conference, because of other hotels being booked. If I knew then what I know now, I would have booked a room here from the start.
The rooms were much nicer than many of the "Suite" hotels and were extremely clean. The free breakfast was actually worth paying for, as it included both standard continental and traditional fare. The eggs, bacon and such were fresh and a welcome surprise.
What really made my stay so wonderful, thoguh, were the staff. Robert the manager was very accomodating, and the folks behind the desk were so down the earth that I actually felt at home. I dont typically write reviews for my stays, but the folks here were so pleasant that I wanted to express my gratitude the best way I knew how. Especially for weary business travels, this is the only place to stay in Philly.
A special thanks in particular to Robert, Jaqui "Jack" D., and Vanessa. You guys were the best!!

• Stayed April 2012
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It was a pleasure having you with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Homewood Suites-Philadelphia City Avenue.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I travel alot as part of my job and it sure makes things more enjoyable when you are staying at a hotel that has a friendly staff. This was my first time staying at this Homewood and I will definately return when I'm in the area. When I came back from a long day of working I was alway's greeted with a "WELCOME HOME" from the front desk staff. The General Manager Robert McDevitt stopped what he was doing both nights I stayed at this hotel to help the kitchen staff serve food, clear plates and welcome guests. Very rarely do you see a General Manager of a hotel take off his suit jacket to help his kitchen staff. This hotel ranks among my top favorite!!!! Keep up the good work Robert!!!!

Room Tip: I definately recomment anyone staying at this hotel for business and pleasure travel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I recently stayed at the hotel for business and we were conducting interviews on site. The staff was extremely helpful in directing our candidates and keeping us informed throughout the day. I have never stayed at a hotel where the general manager (Rob) was so visible and so actively involved in the operation. I think it definitely makes a difference and you could see the respect that the staff had for him. The front desk staff, Toni and Vanessa in particular, made you feel right at home and they went out of their way to make things easier for us. My husband arrived for the weekend and Toni greeted him like a long lost friend and then she spent time explaining to us the sights we might want to see in Philadelphia.

We interviewed late one night and arrived at the manager's reception just as it was closing. The manager and the staff allowed us to make plates and even poured us wine, which was lovely after a long day of interviewing! The breakfast every morning was delicious and they had good variety. The manager's reception was described as offering light snacks and beverages, but it was really a meal, complete with beer and wine. Agnes, who worked the breakfast and dinners, was helpful and so cheerful all of the time. Housekeeping was flexible and attentive and cleaned our rooms on our schedules, as we were working from the hotel and we were in and out.

The Homewood Suites is connected to the Hilton, so there were also restaurant choices which did not require you to leave the hotel. The elevators in the hotel are quicker than any hotel I have ever stayed in. This seems like a small thing, but when you are working out of the hotel and use the elevator a lot, it makes a difference.

If my business ever takes me back to Philadelphia, I would happily stay at the Homewood Suites on City Avenue!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Thank you for your comments. I will be sure to pass them on to the staff. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Homewood Suites-Philadelphia City Avenue.
Waldwick, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel while my husband was having radiation treatment at Lankenau Medical Center. We chose this hotel because of the location. The staff was the best ever. We felt that the were like family. Everyone went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed to be comfortable.
The complimentary breakfast and dinner were the best. I am going to miss our friends at Homewood.
Did I mention how clean the hotel is!
Thank you to Robert, Toni, Vanessa, Agnes, Marcus and the other staff members that made our stay like a vacation!
JanetV

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors with a view of Philadelphia. The staff is very knowledgable...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It was a pleasure having you stay at our home. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Homewood Suites-Philadelphia City Avenue.
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We like staying at Hilton properties because of they are consistently clean, comfortable, well staffed and reasonably priced. This property was no exception. There was a snafu upon checking in which was totally my fault. I had reserved my room for the wrong weekend! The front desk manager cheerfully helped me by forgiving the no show charges and providing me with a room on my actual arrival date! Our room was spacious and had distant views of the city and an attractive reservoir. The bed and pillows helped provide a restful sleep. There was no distracting noise from either the hallway or the heater fan. The breakfast was not impressive; partly because the dining room was full and the serving area was congested. It would have helped to have a separate area for the overflow crowd as well as additional coffee urns. I must mention that the breakfast hostess was extremely upbeat and friendly!
The only other drawback was the parking. Fortunately, we were able to get a spot on the street, but the hotel parking lot is a bit of a walk.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank nanci_h_b
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Homewood Suites-Philadelphia City Avenue.
New York
Reviewed 7 March 2012

- Very friendly staff
- Newer property
- Clean
- Convenient location
- Nice room work area
- Good complimentary breakfast and dinner on some nights
- $5 per day self-parking is somewhat of a hike, diagonally across the street

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Conraveler
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Poquoson, Va
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We just spent the weekend at the Homewood Suites on City Ave. after debating whether to be downtown or not. I was glad to find out that the reviews on Tripadvisor did not steer me wrong. Everything was clean and up to date in the room (we had a 2 room suite so we could have 2 bathrooms for our teenagers). The complimentary breakfast had an excellent selection of yogurt, waffles, fruit (fresh strawberries!) and hot items like eggs & turkey sausage. All the staff at the breakfast station were cheerful and responsive when anything ran out. I cannot say enough about the girls that worked there as they were great even clearing our plates! I was really glad that we picked this hotel and did not spend the extra parking money to stay downtown. The only complaint we had was due to some noisy neighbors late at night but a call to the front desk resolved it immediately. By the way, the complaints about the parking lot being far away were not true unless you are an invalid - it is less than a block from the hotel and one night we even found on street parking. All in all this was a great property to stay at and everyone there made our stay very pleasant.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Shanigirl1
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this review, 24 February 2012