“A good hotel - but scored an average”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue
Ranked #42 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Tampa, Florida
“A good hotel - but scored an average”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

The hotel is a very nice, clean and rather new hotel and I would stay there again for short stays. There are just a couple minor issues. 1 - There is no wireless in the rooms and only in the hotel lobby, which is small. If you go to the connected Hilton lobby the wifi is a different system and you cannot access without paying. 2 - Though the managers reception was great with good food, the hotel does not have a bar or restuarant and outside of the Hilton there are very limited choices close by.
Otherwise a good stay as the staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank smackie13
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. I apologize that you had some issues while staying at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were inconvenienced by not having WiFi available in your room. I sincerely apologize if this may have caused you any inconveniences and I assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our property. Our main priority is for our guests to experience an exceptional stay with us and I regret that we were not able to deliver this to you.

Again, I thank you for your review and if there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Zanesville, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I stayed at this Homewood Suites on City Avenue. The rooms are clean and the staf is very friendly. The General Manager was extremely helpful. parking was $5/night or free if you could find a space on the street. Breakfast was good and I was there for one evening dinner which was good. The beds were very comfortabel. I will stay here again on my next trip to the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It was a pleasure having you with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Homewood Suites-Philadelphia City Avenue.
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel and had a great experience. Toni at the front desk is amazing, as you'll see in countless other reviews. She takes so much pride in her job and goes out of her way to make each guest's stay wonderful. My husband checked us in, so I was a little surprised when the next day she referred to me by name!

Room itself was great for a family (2 adults and our 6 year old son). I thought the room was spacious enough (we didn't spend a ton of time in it through) and the kitchen area was a great bonus. There is a Target just down the road so it was nice to have a place to keep little snacks and drinks. Along with the usual coffee/tea provided, they also provided a packet of microwave popcorn, which I thought was a really sweet touch. There is a DVD player in the room as well.

We didn't have the complimentary dinner, but enjoyed breakfast, which I would say is your typical hotel continental breakfast fare. The staff worked hard to keep it replenished.

The only reason I didn't rate the as a 5 is because of the pool. It was a little on the small side and there isn't a hot tub. Normally the hot tub doesn't matter to me, but after a couple of days doing the tourist thing, it would have been nice to enjoy a soak! Pool was nice enough when it was just my family in it, but with 3 other young/teenage boys it was a little crowded for everyone to do their thing.

Overall, this is a great property, close enough to the city and in my opinion, very reasonable for the price (especially when you include both complimentary meals and the fact that you have your own little kitchen area).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a city/reservoir view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank beanfruit
Miamisburg, Ohio
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I recently stayed here for 2 weeks for business. The staff was extremely friendly. I arrived extremely late at night and a staff member personally walked me from my car to the hotel. The ladies at the front desk greeted me by name every night. They also gave me great ideas for evening and weekend activities. They made me feel like I was at home. It was convenient having free breakfast, free in-room internet (ethernet only), and a light dinner with beer and wine during the week. I would definitely recommend this hotel for business travelers.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a view of the reservoir and the city. There seemed to be less A/C unit nois...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank adamico
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

(Close to Downtown without Being in Heart of City)

Smallish/ narrow studio suite with relaxing view of Belmont Reservoir out bedroom window. (At times you can see geese & other birds enjoying the water.)

Studio not as spacious as some Homewood Suites (HS) and:

• Comfortable bedroom with desk & ergonomic chair across from foot of bed.

• Moved furniture in living room to make TV viewable.

• Room floor plan -- narrow living room/ kitchenette then bedroom (at far end by window) -- doesn't allow enough natural light to reach living room.

• Kitchenette had small dishwasher (not full sized) not properly anchored, so each time you opened dishwasher door, whole unit tilted forward. (Countertop prevented it from toppling over.)

Niceties:

• Free internet/WiFi.

• Computers/ printer in comfortable seated area; print documents & boarding passes.

• Working washers & dryers in guest laundry.

• $5 self-parking in nearby lot; but (if persistent) you can find *free* on-street parking. (Versus $45 parking in heart of Center City.)

• Modern, spacious exercise room in Hilton next door attached by hallways. (From 2nd floor entrance point at Homewood, the winding walk to the adjacent Hilton exercise room becomes part of workout regime).

• Headphones are provided for built-in TVs in treadmills/ ellipticals. (View out large windows (on to street & passersby) for change of scenery & take in natural light.)

• For change of pace from treadmill routine, loop around pleasant, side-walk friendly area.

• Peppy elevators eliminated long waits; 12 floors.

Breakfast & Dinner:

• Consistently *delicious* breakfasts & dinners (with variety & healthy choices) trumped any room annoyances:

--  Standard, good-quality HS breakfasts (hot & cold items) with healthy options served in lodge across from lobby. (Always hope for Greek yogurt, additional whole grain breads, & greater assortment of fresh fruit.)

--  Hearty, full evening meals on: Mon., Tue., Wed., & Thur.. (Extremely convenient if you haven't time to prepare your own meals.)

• For evenings when food isn’t served, 2 restaurants in adjoining Hilton: Delmonico’s Steak & Polo Lounge.

• Several eateries (to suite various tastes & budgets) are within a ½ mile (0.8km) -- about 15-minute walk; call-in order & pick up on your way home from day’s activities. (Would prefer *convenience* of healthy, hearty HS meals every night -- particularly if you've had a long work or play day.)

• If you’ve time/ inclination, food shop & prepare your own meals in furnished kitchenette.

Convenient to Airport & Downtown Philadelphia:

• Depending on traffic, approx. 35-min. drive (13 miles (21 km)) to Philadelphia International Airport (PHL); no HS airport shuttle.

• Depending on traffic, approx. 20-min. drive (6 miles (9.6 km)) to Center City (City Hall) Philadelphia.

Overall, a solid Homewood for short- or long-stay whether traveling with family, as a couple, or alone on business.

• Stayed August 2011
5 Thank gnomemoss
tsmith3966
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I just got back from staying at Homewood Suites in Philly with my 7 year old son. I had such a great experience that I will definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends interested in visiting Philidelphia. The hotel room was ready well ahead of the time listed on the internet which made it very convenient for me since I arrived earlier than anticipated. Check in and check out was a breeze and the meals offered for breakfast and dinner were excellent even with my picky eater! There was something for him to eat at every meal. Everyone at the front desk was so professional and courteous to all guests. However Toni stood out for me. My son was so amazed that she knew us and addressed us by name every time we returned from our adventures and that she was able to juggle two telephone calls at one time.

The hotel was extremely clean and anything you could possibly need was right at your fingertips.

The bus route is right along City Avenue which made it convenient to go straight into the city itself without paying the ridiculous prices charged at the parking garages. This was another tip provided by the wonderful staff at the main desk. They definitely helped me save quite a bit of money.

When I come back to Philly which I definitely will, I will be staying at Homewood Suites again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank tsmith3966
Isle of Palms, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We had a wonderful trip to Philly with our granddaughter and arrived at Homewood tired out. Vanessa greeted us at the desk with a warm smile, doted on our "princess" and made sure we knew where everything was. Yes,arming was a little walk, but who doesn't need a walk once on a while? One less check mark on the shared pool with the Hilton....one it was too small, two overly chlorined, and a tacky entrance off of the hallway. The added plus was the awesome fireworks display we watched from our room window before retiring for the night.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family