“This Place Is Great”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue
Ranked #43 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 23 May 2013

The front desk staff were just the best. Very Very Helpful as were the rest of the staff. Room was very nice and very clean. Great view of downtown buildings. Bathroom was spotless. BK was super as was the dinner in the evening.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of downtown.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 May 2013

Hotel was okay but not great but the elevator was out which caused a lot of time standing and waiting or having to use the stairs up and down. No accommodation was made for our bikes to bring them inside and getting them up in the elevator was impossible the one day we attempted to do that.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carole N
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the elevator and place for your bikes during your stay. Then elevator issue has been resolved. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

From the moment I walked in your staff truly made my stay an enjoyable one. I would like to thank the staff for providing me with all the information and tools I needed to get around the city. It was so nice to have both breakfast and dinner after a long day. The guests were very pleasant and I enjoyed speaking with all the new friends I made including the staff. I will recommend the Homewood Suites to all of my friends and family members and I look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Homewood suites in a City is a feat to pull off and this staff certainly does it well!

Check in was seamless and very welcoming. It was quick, easy and very informative. Parking is a $5 extra charge and is across the street but you can come and go as many times as you might want to. The front desk staff know their job and do it very well. Nothing bothers them and they do it all with a smile. My Diamond Hilton Status was acknowledged immediately and did help when we had to adjust the room accommodations.

The room we had faced the back of the hotel-not the greatest view but we don't sit by the window much, too many things to do. The Kind sized bed in the main room was comfortable. The room design was very nice for an urban hotel with a sofa, sitting chair, desk and dining table all in the same room as the bed and kitchen, too. The bathroom was very large even for an accessible bathroom. Everything was very clean and well maintained. We also had an adjacent bedroom with a queen sized bed and another bathroom, Very large space for a city hotel. Both rooms had great ventilation which was controlled by separate thermostats.

The fitness center and pool is in the adjacent Hilton hotel. Nothing to write home about as it is dated shares the hallway with the conference/event rooms.

The manager's reception was superb! Baked crusted salmon, veggies, rolls and a wonderful salad with wine and beer offerings. All served by very helpful staff willing to meet any need you might have.

Breakfast was the usual Homewood Suite morning offerings- a decent variety and everything was the proper temperature. After the evening reception the night before we thought there might be something different. Staff in the morning was equally friendly and accommodating.

We slept well, we did not hear any noise from the outside or in the hotel. We ate well and relaxed. What more could we have asked for?

If we visit Philadelphia again we would certainly have this place on on list to stay again..

Room Tip: Front facing rooms would have a better view it you need one.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank travelingmom1374
Reviewed 14 May 2013

To our surprise this Homewood Suites surpassed our expectations overall. From the moment we checked in to the the time we checked out we enjoyed every moment and were treated extremely well. Our suite was exceptional, with a king bed and sofa with a kitchen and handicapped accessible bathroom and an adjacent bedroom with a queen bedroom and another bathroom. For a city hotel the room was exceptionally large, comfortable and quiet. We could not believe the evening dinner reception which included crusted baked salmon, fresh vegetables nicely prepared with a wonderful salad selection. There was also beer and three selections of wine. The presentation was also very nicely done with nice attention to detail. The service staff was helpful and attentive. By far the best dinner selection we ever were offered at any hotel which includes dinner with the stay. The pool/fitness area is shared with the adjacent Hilton Hotel and is lacking a bit. A hot tub would have been nice, but the pool was a nice warm temperature. Our room key did allow to get us into the pool area but it kept us out of the fitness area. You also have to deal with any conferences sharing the hallway there. Parking is across the street in a guarded lot. There is unlimited access to the lot for the $5 fee. All the staff here were exceptionally helpful and friendly. We would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I would rate this hotel a 10 out of 10! The service staff was polite and helpful. The meals at breakfast and dinner were excellent and included with the cost of the hotel so didn't have to find a restaurant close by. The convenience was appreciated. The cleanliness of the room and hotel were superb! I definitely recommend to others!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. Again, I thank you for your review and the kind word. I will surely pass them on to the entire staff. If there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Walked round to this hotel from the main road and so went into the Hilton lobby first to see if that was where check-in was. It isn't, you need to carry on around the corner. However, the lobby of the Homewood Suites still seemed fairly high class. They seem to be trying hard to make guests feel special too, although at times it felt as though they were just talking the talk... One receptionist told me that they had been expecting me (as though I were the only one arriving that day) before flicking through a large pile of arrival letters to find mine! The receptionist checking me in got distracted in the middle of her spiel, by her colleague talking with another guest, and so it did not feel as though I had her full attention. Later in the stay I found that several times there was no one on reception, notably when I wanted to check out and had to wait around for someone to appear.
Breakfast is included, available adjacent to the lobby area from 6.30am-9.30am. As well as cereal, toast, juice, bagels, there was a small number of cooked items (which varied each day) such as scrambled egg and streaky bacon. More unusually, Monday-Thursday, 5-7pm a free dinner is also available.
The bedrooms are very large, with an enormous bed and also your own sitting area, dining area and kitchen. There is free wi-fi in the lobby and wired in the bedrooms.The curtains in the room are great, they really block out the daylight. My first evening, trying to sleep, I was bothered by a noisy droning sound throughout the night, which I thought was probably the fridge but which seemed, on inspection the next morning, to actually be the air conditioning. The second night I was used to it though and it did not bother me.
If travelling by public transport, you need the number 44 bus which runs every 20 / 30 minutes. I felt as though I spent a lot of my time in Philadelphia waiting for this bus! There does seem to be a lot of traffic in the city, thoughout the day. I arrived about 2pm in the afternoon and, waiting opposite the train station for the bus to take me to the hotel, could see the bus for about ten / fifteen minutes before it actually reached the stop! Also, I went to see the Philadelphia Phillies play one weekday night (a highlight of my holiday) and, getting back into the city centre about 10.30pm found that the last bus had already gone and I had to get a taxi back to the hotel (over $20 instead of around $2). The hotel itself is lovely but the distance from Philadelphia could be an issue, depending on your mode of transport.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. Again, I thank you for your review and the kind word. If there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!