“Great Position for Independence Square”
Review of Morris House Hotel

Morris House Hotel
Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We had room 301. which was lovely and comfortable but up some steep stairs. We loved this hotel, the only thing we didn't like was how they served their breakfast. Self service in two separate rooms, I would have liked better bread and fruit.
Despite my reservations with breakfast, we could not fault this hotel for anything else. Room comfort, efficiency of reception staff with bookings etc. and the hotel's proximity to Independence Square was brilliant.
Taxi drivers struggled a bit to find it though, as you have to go beyond it to come back down a one way street.

If you don't like plastic style modern hotels, this one oozes old style charm and elegance

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bonniegirl
There are newer reviews for Morris House Hotel

Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is the 2nd time I've had the pleasure of staying at the Morris House Hotel on South 8th street in Philadelphia.
The hotel is a huge piece of history and is decorated accordingly. it is comfortable and perfectly located right around the corner from Washington Square.
The best restaurants are just a block or two away and also close to so many historic locations.
The staff certainly knows excellence in customer service as they tend to every single need you have.
I love this hotel and would stay again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Courtyard. It is just beautiful.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank pam15801
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I stayed there for a month. Best vacation ever.This warm upscale well managed hotel offers comfort solitude efficient friendly atmosphere. Staff is excellent,gives individual courteous attention to all. Colonial rooms lovely. Near Wash Square park.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Lenasgram
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Wonderful two nights at the Morris House Hotel. Located downtown near Washington Square Park, it is in a perfect location to visit the historical sights of Philadelphia. The room was comfortable and cosy. Staff were friendly and helpful. Could not ask for anything more. Breakfast was good. Parking is across the street in a parking deck. Is on my list for a place to stay in Philadelphia.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TheRodg
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I loved the Morris House Hotel. As a single (female) traveller I immediately felt at home. When you land alone in a foreign city it's a huge comfort to feel that the people you're staying with give a damn, and that's why I chose Morris House over the standard chains. I loved the period details, the sense of the past, and the feeling that you're sharing a bit of Philadelphia history (and I'm originally English!), The staff offer just the right balance of privacy and engagement, The bed was blissfully comfortable. The night staff could have been a little quieter, I felt, and the subway is as loud as everyone says if you let it get to you, but I was also excited to be in Philly and horribly jetlagged from Europe, so there's no way I was going to get a good night's sleep anyway for the first few days.

If you're solo, or suffering from the time difference like me, try a bite in the M bar next door. Not big, but perfect and delicious for a tummy that's not sure what time it is. I opted for the most local of cheeses, delivered to the door by the Amish farmer who makes it, and given a Japanese-style butterscotch paste (forgive me guys, it's late here and I forget the proper name) to go with it. It's very rare my food makes me go "ooooohhhhhh" ;-)

After a seriously good G&T - and I know my G&Ts - I got chatting with the staff, and also with the co-owner on the second night. I was impressed. I didn't have the best night's sleep ever at the Morris House, but I'm bitten by the Philadelphia bug, and having been there once I wouldn't stay anywhere else if I could avoid it!

Thank you!

Room Tip: If you want total quiet, the further away from the subway the better!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2013

A hilarious conceit, if you think about it, but this is a quaint, elegant, and romantic little place that is an outstanding value, as well as being really cool and cozy. The courtyard outside is beautiful. About the only tiny deficits are that the rooms are a little small, and since it is near a freeway and subway line, there might be some noise. I didn't notice because I was in love with this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This trip was part medical destination and part get-away. Recovering from surgery was never so decadent. The grounds surrounding house were magnificent! Our suite was lovely and well-organized, beds very comfortable. The on-site Restaurant "M" adjacent to the main house, had spectacular, healthy, and eye-catching offerings. Some of the best seasonal recipes prepared by Chef Kyle Beebe!! All in all, it was a trip to be remembered!

Room Tip: We thoroughly enjoyed the first floor suite in the Carriage House!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends