“A lovely, quiet hotel - kind, attentive staff”
Review of Morris House Hotel

Morris House Hotel
Ranked #21 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
trvlite4
“A lovely, quiet hotel - kind, attentive staff”
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Stayed here with our adult children, attending our son's Penn graduation. This was a great location for that purpose - University City was very crowded, and we were able to get cabs easily to and from the University, as well as had a great location with respect to Rittenhouse Square restaurants. Right next to Washington park, tomb of unknown soldier, liberty bell. A very peaceful place in the midst of big city noise.

The staff were very helpful, and responsive to every request. The continental breakfast was not too interesting, but the coffee was good. The room was very clean, a nice updated tiled bath/shower (good water pressure), a quiet room overlooking courtyard with greenery and flowers. Wireless highspeed internet was free. A kitchenette sans microwave - a microwave would have been a nice addition, but not necessary (had coffeemaker, two burners, refrigerator, small table, dishes/silverware/glasses).

I definitely preferred this to the two hotels I stayed at near the Penn campus - would choose it again. Only downside was the M restaurant. Ate there one evening - service was subpar (unfriendly server), wine list was lackluster, and food was mediocre. I had arranged for a special birthday dinner for my husband 2 months in advance (had the email to prove it). Not only did they fail to make the reservations, but even after reminding them the day before about the celebration, they forgot it, and came up empty. A real disappointment - it's hard to get all the kids together in one place - the perfect opportunity lost. I kind of felt like our presence was really a problem for them - not a sign of good restaurant management.

• Stayed May 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the old fashioned charm and decoration in this hotel. Staff were warm and friendly and the location is perfect for exploring Philadelphia. Breakfast is served in a couple of peaceful rooms on the ground floor and you can walk across a small courtyard to the bar and restaurant. If you want something less intimidating than a modern hotel with hundreds of rooms and seek a charming, unassuming hotel this is the perfect choice. Ideally located for walking to all the major sites like Independence Hall and I would definitely return here.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 May 2010

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel. The location is excellent, just minutes away from the beautiful historical area of Philadelphia and in easy walking distance to some great restaurants and down-town Philly. If you book well in advance, and don't mind stairs, then ask for a room overlooking the court yard and you'll never believe you are staying in a central town hotel as it is so quiet. All of the staff we came in to contact with were extremely friendly and helpful, and out room was very clean and comfortable. We did not try their restaurant or breakfast, but we would definately go back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 May 2010

I stayed at the Morris one day first week of May and attended a rehearsal dinner for my brother's wedding a few days later. My room was everything I could of asked for and the hotel itself is absolutely charming! It seems like you are on your own at night, kind of like a hostel, but even that has it's charm and the Morris is moderately priced during the weekdays. I was a little annoyed in the morning when I found everything but toothpaste in my bathroom. My fault but they didn't even have a small bottle of toothpaste for sale in the lobby. That's basic.

A few days later at the rehearsal dinner the service bordered on a nightmare. First the staff did not see fit to water almost anyone until we asked halfway through the 1st course. The waiter acted like this was extra work or something. They also only acted like wine was available instead of beer and wine which was agreed upon. It was only when I saw other patrons having a beer that I decided to order one. All the en trees for guests of over 40+ began coming out 3-5 at a time at prolonged intervals. Our guests were to polite to start eating in front of people that hadn't been fed so their food got cold. When they finally delivered the chicken pesto pasta, they tried to sneak all of them out without chicken. It was like it was personal or something. I have never hand delivered a plate of food back to a waiter, but when I did and asked what was going on she said she was really sorry which I only took to mean it had been done completely on purpose.

15 minute later I had some pretty good chicken pesto after most people had already eaten. In short the service was like school in the summertime and was simply not worth the gratuity included with the bill. Don't book em!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nomad1028
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 April 2010

We've been coming to the Morris House Hotel for more than five years now (probably six or seven times in total) and have consistently been pleased with our stay. Hotel staff are quite friendly and very accommodating, the rooms spacious and tastefully decorated, and the location just perfect for business and pleasure trips alike (we've visited for both reasons). We really like the L'Occitane bath products -- a special treat -- and the breakfasts are just right. We will be back again soon.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It was built in the late 1700 and has lovely character. Sometimes it's a bit of a worry to stay in an older building, things are usually cracking or there are drafts or the amenities are not quite up to scratch, not so for Morris house! The only draw back that sound does travel a little bit but that didn't bother us much!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Baltimore
Reviewed 31 March 2010

The location was great, being so close to historical sites, shopping districts, and lots of restaurants. The hotel was clean and the room was spacious, comfortable, and classy. I was worried about two things from some negative reviews: breakfast and noise. Even though a lot of rooms face 8th street, our bed was on the other side of the room and was quiet. The only thing to be aware of is that there is a subway system that runs beneath the building and while I felt light rumblings (and couldn't hear it), I can't imagine staying on the first floor. We stayed in room 301. The breakfast was adequate: cereal, OJ, milk, bagels, pastries, coffee. The internet was very, very spotty, so beware.

Lenka, the woman concierge and front desk person, was really great. One of their other front desk men mumbled a lot though he was very courteous-- I couldn't really understand or hear anything he said to us. My only suggestion would be to have someone at the front desk more often. Someone was there 50% of the time.

I would recommend staying here, but only if you get a deal. We got the midweek special (buy two nights and get the third free). And take the bus or train. Parking is expensive, at $15 a day and at least $20 overnight.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple