“Cheap, good but bad location”

McGillin's Olde Ale House
Ranked #1 of 104 Bars & Pubs in Philadelphia
Price range: US$15 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Asian, Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Description: McGillin's Olde Ale House, Philadelphia's oldest continuously operating tavern, is known for large selection of regional beers, comfort food & friendly service.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I enjoyed the restaurant. Food was good, cheap, cocktails were affordable. However, the restaurant is located in a backyard street in which some people might feel unconfortable to go. Service was really friendly. We were supposed to join friends however the could come because some children were sick. The personnel of the restaurant got in contact with them to check for us what went wrong. The place is a little noisy, especially when someone picks a song in the electronic juke box. The music play very loud.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was so psyched about going to this place, from reading other reviews and from the website, so I am not sure what I expected, but a dark, dank very overly dusty decorated place was not it. Also, it is down an alley, not on a main thoroughfare. It was also VERY loud for some reason although no music was playing. Food was not bad but nothing to write home about. I will say that the two waitresses that waited on our table were great - kept our beverages filled and were extremely nice.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was the best stop on our pub crawl! Drinks were super affordable - we had 2 shots and 2 stoli flavored drinks and it only came to $14 with tip! What a steal. All of the food smelled and looked good. We will be back to try a bite with our drinks next time!

1  Thank Va9nessa
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Went with friends during a recent Philly bar tour. Supposed to be the oldest bar in Philly so I was interested for that reason alone. The place is decent size and has two floors. They had an interesting beer list, including some of their own beers, so I tried a McGillan's Lager. Can't say it was great but it wasn't bad either. The atmosphere in the place was pretty cool, seemed like it could get packed but it wasn't which was nice. The bar was off to the side when you come in and otherwise there was table seating. The only downside I noticed was that it was incredibly loud, to the point that it was hard for me to hear people talking at my own table, which was fairly annoying. Aside from that I enjoyed the place and would consider returning.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Was in Philly for a conference and we found McGillins across the street from another establishment. Oldest Ale House in Philly and has alot of the old school charm. The prices were good the servers were nice and best of all I had the best cheesesteak of my visit here. Lots of beers to choose from too. My friend had the meatloaf and it was huge. He couldn't finish it all!

1  Thank Raceman333