“Brand new and beautiful”

Courtyard Philadelphia South at The Navy Yard
Ranked #14 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This is such a beautiful property and definitely surpasses the quality you expect from staying in a Marriott. Upon check in I was greeted by Maria at the front desk who had the best customer service and a upbeat attitude. Getting up to the room was another great experience that I will not forget either. All of the rooms have a different ambiance than any other Courtyard Marriott. After coming back from a long night at the club I was welcomed by the night auditor Sears who was ready to help me with anything that I needed. I can honestly say that this will my first choice when visting the Philadelphia area! Thanks for such an awesome experience Courtyard!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a pretty awesome view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jshearin89
Derek B, Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia South at The Navy Yard, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for the wonder comments! Our staff appreciates the shout outs. We look forward to your return visits.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

The much anticipated new Marriott is finally open for business as of 1/7/2014. I stayed here for one night on a business trip and arrived on a Tuesday at 6 PM. The front desk clerk was professional and friendly. She tried to look up my rewards number and apply it to my stay for reward points, but was unsuccessful. She pointed out the fact that the hotel had a bistro that was available for dining at for dinner or the next morning for breakfast. I declined to even look at it as I wasn't interested. Tip for the hotel: include a menu of the "bistro" with prices in each guest room. Don't expect me to go visit it to find out what they have to offer and the cost. I'll just go elsewhere and you just lost potential business.

I stayed in a Guest room, 1 King, Sofabed for a special reduced rate. It had a lovely view of a gigantic field of mud. Free parking though!

--Complimentary lotion bottle was previously used and left in room. Disgusting! These should be replaced between changing of guests in the room.

--There was someone else's hair left on the wall in the shower. Disgusting! Shower walls should be scrubbed down between changing of guests in the room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
ChrisWeney, Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia South at The Navy Yard, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

I would like to thank you for your feedback about your previous stay with us. I am deeply concerned about the issues with room cleanliness and I look forward researching and improving on this matter. As a newly opened hotel we realize that our guest comments will only help us get better. I hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We are booked into this hotel for an event at the Arena mid-summer. I must say that already our experience has been outstanding and we haven't even gone there yet! The staff has been extremely helpful over the phone, and we feel very well prepared for our trip. One great bit of advice for those staying here to attend sporting or concert events: We have heard stories of difficult taxi experiences and price gouging for the very short drive. Have the hotel staff help with taxi quotes if you plan round trip. Uber.com is an app for your phone, easier than the drive/pay/park method, but not inexpensive for the three minute trip. If you are there during the week we recommend the FREE LOOP SHUTTLE from the Navy Yard! This hotel is located right within the Loop and the free shuttle will have you at the corner near the stadium in minutes. It runs during the week until about 7:30pm, so you will have one way transport covered. Many folks opt to walk back to the hotel along the sidewalk on the south side of Broad Street. It can be an intimidating street crossing, but there are traffic lights in our favor.

Will undoubtedly be back to report on our experience with additional tips and recommendations!
Happy Travels :-)

Room Tip: Higher floors offer a view!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CherelleDay
Derek B, Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia South at The Navy Yard, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you for your comments and helping other travelers with great ideas on transportation to the sports complex. Lots of great tips!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is a nice new hotel that I thought was pretty nice especially for a Marriott Courtyard. The staff was very friendly and the helpful and the bar/breakfast area had lots of glass and was nice and bright and open. It had lots of seating and I noticed a area/table that had lots of plugs if you needed to charge your devices.
The room was very nice and clean. Large flat screen and a nice bathroom/shower. So what was bad? It was hard to find! It is literally in the navy yard and you need to pass through a security gate, but one guard gave us bad directions and we drove around the navy yard a bit to find it. I think a bit of signage would be a plus.
We had a nice time and would go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We came to Philadelphia for the Philly Craft Beerfest at the Navy Yard and the location could not have been better! We parked the car, checked in, and walked down to the beer festival. Our room was new and clean and the large window looked right out on Lincoln Financial field, and being an Eagles Fan the view could not have been any better! The room was large, clean, the bed was comfortable and the large tiled shower was awesome. The staff and the Bistro and the front desk were all friendly and helpful.

It was just really cool staying in the Navy Yard and take the time to go see the retired aircraft carrier, the former JFK. An awesome ship.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terry B
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I thought I would be safe choosing a Marriott since I typically stay with them. While the hotel is brand new, they have some serious housekeeping issues that need to be dealt with. The room was nice and everything was new, however, NONE of the counters had been wiped down. There were water marks and coffee stains on the desks and night stands. The coffee maker in the room was covered in spilled coffee, too. The bathroom floor was still dirty. It looked like it hadn't been mopped or vacuumed. There were also hairs in the shower. I informed management who said they would send someone up. (I also was not the only one with housekeeping issues, since I was informed she would be a few minutes since she was working on another room as well). She was very nice and cleaned the areas I requested. I also requested compensation for my troubles and was given breakfast the next morning. I know it was free, but the french toast was not done in the middle and was extremely soggy (just saying for anyone trying to order breakfast there, the french toast was not any good). Another thing I noticed was that the elevators were also very dirty. There were spills and stains on the floor and the stainless steel walls had streaks and fingerprints all over them. It may be nitpicky, but elevators need cleaning, too. For the price, this Marriott should be cleaner. Overall the staff was very nice and management was accommodating.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SoloGirlTravels

Thank you for your review on March 7th. We would like to apologize that the hotel wasn’t as clean as it should have been during your recent stay. We strive for the building to be completely cleaned all of the time and we fell short during your visit. Thank you for the comments so we can address these areas.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed at the Courtyard for one night while in Philadelphia to take clients to a Flyers Hockey game.

The hotel is new and has some lovely and whimsical decorating touches. I had a standard king room on the third floor. The lighting in the bathroom was very nice. I loved the rain shower head and large glass stall with two convenient ledges. The aqua blue coffee table was super cool. I also liked the retro floor lamp in the corner. There was also a small refrigerator and coffee maker. There were plenty of outlets near the large desk area. The bed was super comfy, probably the best bed I've slept on in months (too bad I only got 5 hours sleep). The room was very clean.

The workout room is very large for this size hotel and is open 24/7. There were three treadmills, three Life Fitness ellipticals, and two bikes. I loved the updated programming on the ellipticals. The hike through New Zealand video was so much fun, I almost didn't want to finish my workout. There were also plenty of towels, cups, and sanitizers. There were also free weights and a multi-use weight machine.

I called the hotel prior to arriving to get directions since I knew the address would not register on my Garmin. If you are coming from 95, and heading northbound, you will take the Broad Street exit. But when you take the exit, you will be heading north on Broad Street. You will need to make a U turn (there are lots of places to make U turns as you head north past the Sports Complex), Once you are on South Broad Street, you will pass under I-95, and then head into the Navy Yard (you don't need to stop at the gate during the day, but the guard was checking cars at night).

The Courtyard has plenty of free parking, which is a plus. When I asked at the front desk whether there was a shuttle to take me to the Sports Complex, I was surprised to be told there was not. While the Sports Complex is only about a 15 minute walk, I was by myself and the several Courtyard staff that I talked to urged me not to walk to or from the Sports Complex in the dark. I did not want to drive the short distance and pay for parking (and deal with traffic). So I took a cab (which the front desk arranged) to the Sports Complex (fare was $6, which was reasonable since I thought there might be a minimum charge). I ended up walking back after the game since there was not a cab to be found and the traffic was bad. It really was not a bad walk. It was hairy crossing the road underneath I-95, but there are light signals. The route was fairly well lit, too, except for one block. The long and short, though, is that this hotel needs to have a shuttle, and that is why I had to only give them a four out of five ranking.

I had a 9:40 flight in the morning, and being Philadelphia, I was concerned about how bad traffic might be on I-95 at 7:30 in the morning. There was hardly any traffic at all, and since the hotel is less than 5 miles to the airport, I was there in less than 10 minutes. I would seriously consider this hotel over one of the airport hotels the next time I need to stay in this part of town.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business