“Good cheese steak”

Ranked #630 of 4,390 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Milford, CT
“Good cheese steak”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

As you will learn on the tours, Pat's and Geno's pull a large number of tourists to their establishments (I have not been), but "those in the know" cite Campos, Sonny's and Jimmy's as the places to go. Our waiter at Mac Tavern had said: If it's late, you've hit the libations pretty well and are not into chewing too much, go to Sonny's (their steaks are more chopped). If you don't mind doing a little more (chewing) work, then go with Campos. It was early in the day, so we went with Campos. The sandwich was fine, but I was not necessarily blown away. The quantity was so so - I split the sandwich with my wife and I can definitely say one half was lacking in the goods. Anyway, I've had steak sandwiches at Shorty's in NYC (9th ave and 42nd) and I think those are better. Sonny and Jimmy's, I will catch you next time around ;-)

Visited July 2014

Sevenoaks
“When in Rome....”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Ok so we're obviously not in Rome but as the good saying goes, you should try something famously local, in this case a Philly Cheese Steak. It was a bustling place but somehow the staff managed to convey a calm and friendly demeanour. The cheese steak was delicious and very reasonably priced too. When in Philly it's a must-do!

Hillsborough, New Jersey
“The Best”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

fresh good tasting meat, and with sandwiches the ingredients are everything. very friendly, very fast, and very good.

• Visited May 2014
Bel Air, MD
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Anxious to try a Philly cheese steak sandwich. This was recommended by a hotel shuttle driver. I was disappointed. Locals and tourist alike were eating. I guess I had too many expectations. The sandwich was bland. I expected mayo, lettuce and tomato. Didn't think I should have asked for them. Small amout of cheese on the meat. I was glad that it was not salted. There is sidewalk service but we elected to sit inside. The large window was open and birds would fly inside. If I wanted to have birds flying around while I ate, I would have eaten on the sidewalk. May be better with more experience but I was disappointed in first visit. Cash only but there is an ATM machine inside.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank MikeBelAir_MD
Big Rapids, Michigan
“Philly cheesesteak at it's best!”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This small location in Old Town of Philadelphia was hopping even at 11:30. I noticed tourists and locals. Great choices of cheese steaks although there were other things on the menu. We ordered a side of potato salad and coleslaw. Homemade and unique (in a good way)! They offered bottled beer and did not accept credit card. We sat outside with a nice view of Old Town.

Visited April 2014