“Great value, great location, very safe & convenient.”

Trade Winds Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 June 2012

COMPLETELY IGNORE THE "WORST 30 MINUTES OF OUR LIFE" REVIEW . . . with the exception of the cereal and milk breakfast.

We were met at the door by the owner with a city visitor parking pass she purchased and had ready for us upon arrival. Next, she called while we were driving around looking for street parking to tell us she was standing in a recently abandoned parking place directly across the street from the front door. She arranged bus tour pickup, directed us to the nearest grocery stores and offered pretty much anything we could need for our stay in Philadelphia.

The neighborhood was extremely clean, safe and convenient to almost all the local historic attractions. We didn't get a cab at all during our stay and were less than a 15 minute walk to everything we wanted to see.

We traveled with 2 small children and the accommodations were much better than a hotel. We had 2 bedrooms connected by a bathroom and the price was the same as the cheapest acceptable single hotel room in the area and included a wonderful ambiance, comfortable beds, free wireless internet and a basic breakfast.

We will stay here again when we travel through Philadelphia.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Glenn L

Reviewed 19 January 2012

I stayed in the room with the mural on the top floor on two occasions, both being romantic occasions. The mural and the fancy decor gave the room a sort of cozy elegance. It was also nice to have a TV (with cable) and fridge available; it made our stay more convenient. The place could've used a light dusting, but the decent service overshadowed that. Marjorie was helpful and fair in her pricing; this will easily be the place I look to stay my next trip to Philly.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danielle C
Reviewed 19 March 2011

PROS: Great little neighborhood – Washington Square District. Safe and architecturally/historically interesting. Convenient walking distance to many sites, restaurants and shops – if you’re a city walker. An inexpensive place to stay – relative to other area B&Bs and certainly less than all of the area chain hotels. The owner, Marjorie, was very nice and trusting – leaving a key for me to arrive early in the day – even though she was going to be out all day and asked me to leave payment in the room when we left since she was not going to be around when we departed. Unlike most B&Bs, the room had several amenities typically found at a hotel – a television, a phone, free Wifi, a mini-frig with water, coffee maker and a microwave.

CONS: You just get a “bed” and “breakfast” – this is not one of those B&Bs that offers any communal spaces like a living room, dining room, library, sitting room, porch, etc. The room could have used a thorough cleaning – lots of dust under the beds, on the blinds and behind the night stand (found when I went to plug in my cell phone charger and computer). While my room did not smell of cigarettes, the entry certainly indicated that the owner (or a family member) was a smoker. The breakfast was waiting in the room upon our arrival and while I am truly not a germaphobe, I didn’t care for the large Rubbermaid-type container of cereal and open containers of milk and OJ left in the room frig. The beds were comfortable, but mattresses were covered in plastic waterproof covers, which made for a noisy night. In addition, the home is located on a relatively busy corner and the traffic noise was a bit bothersome late into the night.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank bmore_5705
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I thought it was a good place to stay if you just need a place to rest your head. It was a few minutes from Independence National Historic Park. It's ideally located for exploring the east side of Philadelphia if you like to walk. The room had a bistro table & chairs so you could eat breakfast in the room and bottled water, milk, OJ, yoghurt & cereal were supplied in a small fridge. There was free Wi-fi, as well as a microwave and small TV with cable in the room. There was a shared bathroom which was a bit disconcerting at first, but we found that the sound of the tap/shower was an indication not to go in. My favorite part was the Tuscan garden mural on the wall, which made you feel like you were in another world! I would not recommend it as a place to stay for people with allergies. If I was going back to eastern Philly, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cecesimms
Reviewed 3 April 2009

We stayed at Tradewinds B & B March 19th & 20th, but actually it was our second time staying with Marjorie. Our first stay was August 2008 & as you can tell, we went back...we didn't even consider staying anywhere else. Marjorie is a gracious hostess and the rooms are wonderfully decorated, clean, cozy...& just feel like home - way more than a conventional hotel room. The area is great - an easy walk to downtown, restaurants, an internet cafe, pubs & clubs, the market - and it's just a beautiful area with the basic culture of the city right at your fingertips. It's a beautiful spot. We are so taken by the area that we are looking into nearby real estate! We are just so thankful for for another grand sleep...& until we buy something closeby, we plan to keep going back to Tradewinds!! Stay there, you'll see what I mean and you'll love it...

gem
[--]

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wwwDOTgemaveryDOTcom
Reviewed 23 March 2009

First of all the area is great, and not at all bad, as has been complained about in an earlier review. It's really lovely and quiet - and above all safe! - with lots of nice shops and cafes just around the corner.

The breakfast, well, if you expect freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit, buttermilk pancakes and eggs benedict, go to a four star hotel. The breakfast at Trade Winds is pretty standard for a B&B I think, and as there are plenty of nice cafes in the neighbourhood, where you can get coffee, eggs and croissants, cereal and yoghurt is just fine, I think. Especially when the rate for the room is so low.

My mattress was unfortunately rather on the noisy side but other than that I have nothing bad to say about this place at all! Marjorie, the hostess is really nice and helpful, and there has a nice and homey atmosphere. I really enjoyed it and would return there any day!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed 12 November 2008

Stayed in Trade Winds for 3 nights on last October and loved it.

The location is very good, within a walking distance of every major attraction of Philadelphia.

We've chosen the Twin Room which was lovely. On the room there's a breakfast table and a refrigerator. On the refrigerator there's always water, milk, yoghurts and orange juice. On the table there are some cereals.

We had to share bathroom with another room, but that was ok. The bathroom is very clean.

Marjorie, (the owner of the Bed and Breakfast) is a lovely lady, that helped us in everything she can.

Thank you for everything Marjorie.

I'm sure that if I ever come back to Phillie I'll stay with you again.

• Stayed: October 2008