“Bring your own window shades and protein”

Burbridge Street B&B
Ranked #13 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This house and neighborhood has a lot of character. The home has some really nice renovations, but the front porch has no railing and is high off the ground. There were no shades in the FRONT bedroom (just lacey sheers), which faces 2 VERY bright porch lights directly across the street. There was only breads and cereals for breakfast (along with some fresh fruit and decaying frozen fruit). The hostess knows a lot about the interesting history of the neighborhood.
Breakfast is only at 8AM

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from those bright lights if you like a dark room, or one with shades if the sun...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank honestmomNy
There are newer reviews for Burbridge Street B&B

Reviewed 15 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for on evening only as we were in Philadelphia to attend a wedding then move on to Virginia. Marney, the owner was not in when we arrived but had left the keys for us. Our room was on the third floor. The room was clean and the bed comfortable and we slept very well.

It is located in an older part of town and we had no problem getting where we wanted to as we used a GPS. The area was very quiet and although the curbside could receive some maintenance attention we have no complaint about the area.

Room Tip: Anyone of the rooms on offer would be good.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This is exactly how a B&B should be: The owner is very friendly and gives your breakfast a personal touch. We sat around a nice round table and talked to her as well as to other guests. The rooms are very nice as well, as are the well-behaved cats. The only minor downside – depending on what you're looking for – may be the location, which is about 40min from downtown with public transport. However, German town is quite interesting in itself and the owner knows a lot about its history; which is to say you may get to know a part of Philly you wouldn't otherwise have known much about. To go downtown, you can take the train which will cost you 4 or 5$ one way or the bus, which may take up to an hour depending on traffic, for 2$. I will stay there again the next time I am in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
MarneyHague2013, Owner at Burbridge Street B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

The guest is very kind in his review, but I think I should point out that Germantown, my local residential neighborhood, is actually just 7 miles out from Center City by parkland drives, a pleasant 12 to 15 minute drive to the heart of the downtown area. From my local train station, Tulpehocken Station of the Chestnut Hill West line, it is only 20, 25, or 30 minutes by train to the 3 Center City stations. I always encourage my guests who come with cars to leave them here in the neighborhood (free on street parking on my block), and take the train instead... it's better for your pocketbook, your sanity, and a greener option as well. The local bus option (the #23 for Chestnut Hill) follows a much slower route, following a busy commercial corridor with traffic lights and stops at every corner for about 8 miles. I don't recommend it to my guests, as it often takes an hour or more to Center City.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

This old world B&B was filled with great antiques, lots of old world paintings and two sweet, friendly kitties! I was happy to meet Marnie and she was amazingly helpful, as I had a health issue and she was extremely accommodating as well as friendly. The home is located in a real old Philadelphia neighborhood with a real cobblestone street, great architecture and convenient to all the attractions Philly has to offer. Outside work is still in progress on the grounds, I can only imagine how lovely the back garden will look when it's done.
The fresh fruit from the farm market was delicious and the home ba

Room Tip: The room on the 2nd floor with the fireplace would be my personal favorite on my next visit!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed here for three nights and could not have been happier. Marney was so helpful and thoughtful , she gave us loads of advice,help on getting around the area and the history. The room was gorgeous, we stayed in the octagon room, very unusual and cute, best nights sleep so far in USA. Breakfast was a real treat, tones of choice and delicious. Got to meet lots of other guests as its around one big table. This was great fun and very interesting. Marney was very accommodating as we arrived early and left early in the morn, she made sure all our needs were met. We could not have enjoyed ourselves more and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank RegtravelAandG
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Located near historic sites, the B&B is a good point of departure to visite Germantown which includes a lovely street full of boutiques ranging from restaurants, art galleries to kitchenware. The owner of the B&B, Marney (host), is a good reference when it comes to get ideas about what to visit.

The house by itself has been modernized and renovated which enhances the experience. The only thing missing for me was blinds in the bedrooms windows. On vacation, waking up early, isn't always what we wish for. The other thing to be aware of is that unlike many B&B's there is no sign with the name of the B&B on the property. The only way to locate it's by the adress.

The breakfast was diversified and nourishing. Marney, whenever possible tries to accomodate her guests. The fact that she speaks three languages is a sure plus for any visitors.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Burbridge B and B and LOVED it! Its a beautiful vintage house about 20mins drive from center city, that's been renovated to modern standards, with big rooms and lots of interesting decor.

Rate includes bed, a great breakfast with fresh fruit and homemade breads (peach loaf highly recommended!) and tea/coffee to your hearts content. There's also free wifi throughout the house and hot beverage supplies in every room (replenished daily). Oh, and free street parking throughout the day.

To top it all off, the innkeeper Marney is an absolute delight. Full of interesting facts about Philly and recommendations for what to eat/see/do. She puts lots of effort into making guests happy...daily breakfast preparation, daily room tidying etc. Great company...its almost like staying with a relative (who you like!). Marney is pretty laid back...no curfue etc and guests have their own keys. Breakfast is at 8 and she'll join you if you're there by by then. If you want to wake up later, she'll leave the food out for you!

Other company in the house includes 2 super friendly cats (i don't really even like cats but was snuggling with these!) and guests in up to 3 additional bedrooms across 2 floors. There's a shared bathroom on every floor, which are kept incredibly clean. The sharing wasnt an issue for us as there was no one else but Marney on our floor, but I don't think itd be too bad even with the other room occupied.

All in all this was the right choice for us. A great little place in a close-to-downtown location at an unbeatable price. Thanks Marney!

• Stayed: April 2013