“More like "air bnb" than a B&B”

Burbridge Street B&B
Ranked #13 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 January 2014

If you are accustomed to room rentals through craigslist or Air BnB this is a good value for what you get. If you are used to professionally run inns you'll probably be more comfortable elsewhere.

There is no signage outside, the elevated porch has no railing, the inside is cluttered with the owner's personal items, and the room names are handwritten on signs taped to the door. There was hair from a hairbrush in our bathroom when we arrived. The room, though facing the street, does not have blinds or curtains and you can easily see into the room from the street. You share a bathroom and common areas with the owner, there is no separate innkeeper's quarters like most b&bs. All of these factors gave the impression that this is a personal residence first and renting rooms is a side business.

We chose to stay elsewhere, forfeiting what we paid for 2 nights. I have stayed at around 15 different b&bs and usually find negative reviews to be from overly critical/picky people, I have never left anything less than a glowing review before now. I just want others to know what to expect from their experience so they can make an informed decision about whether it's the right accommodations for them.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank LuckBeALadyL
There are newer reviews for Burbridge Street B&B

Reviewed 22 December 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights in the Burbridge Street B&B in the summer.
We had a great time. As pointed out in some other reviews, it is not the shiniest B&B in the USA. If you are annoyed by cats, you might want to think of staying somewhere else.
But the house has character, and attracts people who are the same. Breakfast around the table with Marney Hague and guests from around the world was a great experience. Everyone got into the spirit of the experience and we had some great conversations with people from near and far.
The real reason to stay at the house is Marney. She is a warm, wonderful and generous hostess, and expert and eloquent in the pros and cons of her city and neighbourhood. Her advice made our stay in Philadelphia more enjoyable. The city should declare her a local treasure.
Good transport to and from Philly is close by and easy to use, and on-street parking is plentiful and safe. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This house and neighborhood has a lot of character. The home has some really nice renovations, but the front porch has no railing and is high off the ground. There were no shades in the FRONT bedroom (just lacey sheers), which faces 2 VERY bright porch lights directly across the street. There was only breads and cereals for breakfast (along with some fresh fruit and decaying frozen fruit). The hostess knows a lot about the interesting history of the neighborhood.
Breakfast is only at 8AM

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from those bright lights if you like a dark room, or one with shades if the sun...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank honestmomNy
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for on evening only as we were in Philadelphia to attend a wedding then move on to Virginia. Marney, the owner was not in when we arrived but had left the keys for us. Our room was on the third floor. The room was clean and the bed comfortable and we slept very well.

It is located in an older part of town and we had no problem getting where we wanted to as we used a GPS. The area was very quiet and although the curbside could receive some maintenance attention we have no complaint about the area.

Room Tip: Anyone of the rooms on offer would be good.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This is exactly how a B&B should be: The owner is very friendly and gives your breakfast a personal touch. We sat around a nice round table and talked to her as well as to other guests. The rooms are very nice as well, as are the well-behaved cats. The only minor downside – depending on what you're looking for – may be the location, which is about 40min from downtown with public transport. However, German town is quite interesting in itself and the owner knows a lot about its history; which is to say you may get to know a part of Philly you wouldn't otherwise have known much about. To go downtown, you can take the train which will cost you 4 or 5$ one way or the bus, which may take up to an hour depending on traffic, for 2$. I will stay there again the next time I am in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
MarneyHague2013, Owner at Burbridge Street B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

The guest is very kind in his review, but I think I should point out that Germantown, my local residential neighborhood, is actually just 7 miles out from Center City by parkland drives, a pleasant 12 to 15 minute drive to the heart of the downtown area. From my local train station, Tulpehocken Station of the Chestnut Hill West line, it is only 20, 25, or 30 minutes by train to the 3 Center City stations. I always encourage my guests who come with cars to leave them here in the neighborhood (free on street parking on my block), and take the train instead... it's better for your pocketbook, your sanity, and a greener option as well. The local bus option (the #23 for Chestnut Hill) follows a much slower route, following a busy commercial corridor with traffic lights and stops at every corner for about 8 miles. I don't recommend it to my guests, as it often takes an hour or more to Center City.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

This old world B&B was filled with great antiques, lots of old world paintings and two sweet, friendly kitties! I was happy to meet Marnie and she was amazingly helpful, as I had a health issue and she was extremely accommodating as well as friendly. The home is located in a real old Philadelphia neighborhood with a real cobblestone street, great architecture and convenient to all the attractions Philly has to offer. Outside work is still in progress on the grounds, I can only imagine how lovely the back garden will look when it's done.
The fresh fruit from the farm market was delicious and the home ba

Room Tip: The room on the 2nd floor with the fireplace would be my personal favorite on my next visit!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed here for three nights and could not have been happier. Marney was so helpful and thoughtful , she gave us loads of advice,help on getting around the area and the history. The room was gorgeous, we stayed in the octagon room, very unusual and cute, best nights sleep so far in USA. Breakfast was a real treat, tones of choice and delicious. Got to meet lots of other guests as its around one big table. This was great fun and very interesting. Marney was very accommodating as we arrived early and left early in the morn, she made sure all our needs were met. We could not have enjoyed ourselves more and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013