“Below Standard - B & B” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
jacksonville, fl
“Below Standard - B & B”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2009

I have stayed at B&Bs and have always been pleasantly surprised, not this one. I read the reviews so I was under the impression that the Inn had been renovated. It is partially renovated, very old and run down. There is no sign when you get there, you are not sure you are in the right place, like another person stated I also drove around the block and almost left. This is a B&B that should rent for $50/night. Owner is very savy and can tell you all the good places to visit in the city. Rooms are clean and comfortable, its just the inn needs alot of work. Breakfast was continental breakfast: cold cereal and breads, self service, def. not
B&B style breakfast. On last night I was there, neighbor next door was having a huge huge family fight, and I could swear it was at our place, no noise barrier between homes. This went on till 1:00 am, Inn keeper just apologized, said there was nothing she could do. I was hoping she call the cops, did not get to sleep till 2:00 am.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank sunseeker21_8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lancaster, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

This was my 4th stay at Burbridge in 3 years. Now there is a new porch (with a swing), new steps & railing and a new roof on the 103 year old house. I stayed 18 days & was able to enjoy the sweet smell of the honeysuckle as I came up the steps after a hard day at work. Luxurious bed linens & fluffy towels added to the comfort of the accommodations. This is a cozy & safe place for a woman traveling alone. It is close to public transportation, but if you are driving there is always easy parking. Marney, the Innkeeper, is very well read & well traveled. She brings a pleasant & lively conversation to the breakfast table. This a a very good value for the money. I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Foofonu
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2007

This was my first time in a B & B. It was a unique experience. The inn keeper Marney is a very nice lady and an excellent conversationalist. She was very helpful and offered many tips for traveling around the city.

About the house.... Well, the house is a work in progress. It is about 100 years old and going through a renovation. The room I stayed in was large and comfortable. My room had satellite tv and air conditioning. The bathroom was decent. It had a litter box that is used by 2 different cats and by the 2nd day it needed to be cleaned. It was not. At one point it began to rain and the upstairs room/kitchen began to leak from the roof. Not a big deal, didn't bother me. I felt as if I was staying with a family member and it was just something that happened.

The steps are rotting and I was afraid to sprain my bad ankle again on the loose steps. Garden? The "Garden" will be beautiful when it is manicured. When I was there, there were beautiful flowers, bushes, etc, but was in need of some TLC.

Breakfast is great. Fresh fruits, juice, cereals. There was a large selection of breads, but they were in sticky bags. Ewww...
But, despite the sticky bags they were good.

There are alot of antiques around the house, so if you are clumsy, be careful.

The inn keeper will not bother you. She is not nosey or pushy. I will go back. I am eager to see how the renovation is going, and I had a lovely time.

• Liked — Great value. $100.00 = Clean room/great breakfast/great host
  • Disliked — The front steps. First impressions are very important.
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jechll
Utica, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2007

After being on the road for 2 weeks and staying in various generic motels, Burbridge St. was a wonderful treat. The neighborhood is lovely - nice residential location and an easy trip into the city. The house itself is a work in progress but not lacking for charm or beauty in its current state. My room was clean, bright, and comfortable, it was an absolute pleasure to go to sleep at night with my 3 windows open and wake up in the morning with the sunlight streaming in. There are 2 cats on premises and though I know the cats would be a concern for some, due to allergies or personal preference, I was delighted to have them about. There was no issue of fur on furniture or carpets, or litterbox odors. I thoroughly enjoyed my time spent with Marney over breakfasts - she was exceedingly helpful in providing information on Philadelphia and how to navigate it - and overall a great host. It's clear that she loves what she it doing and is meeting the challenges of renovating a beautiful old home in the only way one can: with flexibility, patience, and good humor. I will, without doubt, be staying here again on my next trip to Philly.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank Lara_NY
Atwater Village
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

I can't believe that Burbridge Street B & B is operating as a bed and breakfast. When we arrived, we drove around the block twice because we couldn't believe the building we saw was the right place. Warped, unpainted wood boards, swaying stairs and porch, no sign letting you know this was the place. We had to carefully stop over the rotting planks in the porch while simultaneously avoiding the rusty nails sticking straight out of the banister. You think I'm kidding but I'm not!

Our room: clean, nice, very comfortable bed, decorations were okay. Exposed and overloaded electrical socket 3 feet away from the leaky bathroom shower is a fire waiting to happen. On our arrival, the owner's (previously undisclosed) cat was on our bed and we were told, "Oh, she'll be in there all the time unless you close the door." A little warning would have been nice.

Bathroom: shared bathroom, much ancient masking tape on the floor for a renovation job that never happened. It is badly needed though since much of the bathroom tile is bubble gum pink. Toilet clogged and I had to plunge it myself since owner was not around. Strange masses of plastic grocery bags stuffed next to toilet. Shower leaks copiously all over the floor. The piece de resistance: the owner keeps her cat's litter box in the guest bathroom. Again, I am not kidding. AND - she keeps her hairdryer resting on top of the litter box. Yum, did you make my breakfast with those hands?

Breakfast: gooey, sickly-sweet and not even fresh breakfast breads in sticky plastic bags, bottled fruit juices, and pre-set dishes of fruit salad. Which were fizzing. Fizzing!

So, if you want to go on a vacation and possibly experience one or more of the following:
Broken leg, tetanus, allergies, toxoplasmosis, electrocution, food poisoning, or recreational plumbing, then I recommend Burbridge St B & B. Otherwise, I strongly urge you to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
13 Thank SuperSpecialK
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2006

This is dirty and not safe. Bad food, misleading advertisement. I truly believe a relative or the innkeeper wrote the ONLY positive review. My mom and I stayed here because everything else was booked and I don't want anyone else to ever have to spend the night there. The innkeeper runs it, cleans it (not well) and rides her bicycle to pick up supplies. ..therefore she is short on fresh supplies. She needs a restoration, heater, and a guide on what B&Bs look like. We had no locks on our door and took off first thing in the morning after a very cold night of unrest. Beware

Stayed October 2006
13 Thank bpwalls
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2006

This is not like any B&B I've ever stayed at before.

First, there is no sign out front advertising that the house is a B&B. It stands on a VERY QUIET brick street. We had to double check the street address before ringing the doorbell. All the houses on the street are 100 years old, and this one is no exception. When we rang the doorbell, we were welcomed by the owner of the house with a huge smile.

We stayed 2 nights while exploring Philadelphia attractions and colleges. Philadelphia was surprisingly clean and friendly! I had heard such horror stories, that I was scared about my daughter looking at a college downtown center city. I was also scared knowing she would need to get an apartment downtown. After visiting the college of her choice, we walked the streets until after dark. I never felt unsafe. Philadelphia is a lovely city and the locals were very friendly and willing to talk to us. Even a homeless person told us that Rick's had the best cheesesteaks!

The house is located about 10 - 15 minutes away from center city, but is a beautiful drive. (Take the homeowner's advice on directions!!!) This is not a luxury B&B. There is peeling paint and creaky stairs, but the whole house is very clean and cozy. There are antiques scattered throughout the home. There are coffeepots and small TV's in every room. The beds were gorgeous and the mattresses were comfortable. It gave me the feeling of staying at a Great Aunt's house.

Continental breakfast included fresh fruit, a good selection of cereals, a selection of juices, and lots of different types of breads.

The owner is a well traveled woman and is a great conversationalist. She is a proud native of Philadelphia and gave great advice for directions and attractions. She also has international guests and enjoys talking about her experiences. Her enthusiasim is contagious.

If your looking for a Ritz-Carlton, go somewhere else. If you want to be welcomed into a quiet local's home with open arms and truly feel Philadelphia, this is a great value!

• Liked — Feeling welcome in a local's home
  • Disliked — Creaky stairs
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family