“NOT a Greek diner!”
Review of Estia

Estia
Reserve with OpenTable
Estia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 4,359 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: On Locust btwn 15th and Broad
Transit: Septa & Patco
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“NOT a Greek diner!”
Reviewed 3 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Excellent, authentic greek food in a sophisticated, but comfortable setting. I had the lamb shank and it was fabulous. Both of my colleagues throughly enjoyed their meals as well.

Visited November 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good food, good service, good location”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I like Estia partly because it's located opposite the Academy of Music (and close to other Center City destinations) so I can have a nice meal without worrying about getting to the concert on time -- especially since their reasonably priced Expess Lunch ($17) truly is "express" -- I think we were served within ten minutes of sitting down! (I had Spanakopeta and Moussaka, though the Sea Bass also looked good ). Estia specializes in Greek food but has items that aren't specifically Greek. I like the ambiance - part of it has a grotto-like feel with a stone-like vaulted ceiling and romantic subdued lighting. Warning: the restaurant fills up quickly in the couple of hous before an event at the Academy of Music or Kimmel Center

• Visited November 2013
“A Great Dining Experience!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We were invited out to dinner and the host had picked a place he frequents often. I can see why.

What a treat, I had a grilled Halibut dish and it was just perfect as was the Tuna enjoyed by other guests.
Some other guests had a variety of menu items and all were happy heir meals.
A party of twelve, so all of the details escape me, but it was most
enjoyable!
Fabalous food and atmosphere, great wines and good service.

A definate repeat!

Philadelphia, PA
“Bad Service, Not Great Food”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I went here before a show. We were greeted warmly. At first we were going to sit at the bar to take advantage of happy hour specials, but happy hour ends at 6:00 (a bit early for a happy to end, we thought), so we decided to get a table instead and ordered the theater menu. It is $30 for a choice of an appetizer, entree and dessert. The hostess couldn't find menus at first so had to bring them to us after she got some. The waiter did not come over for close to ten minutes when he finally took a drink order. We told him we were going to have the theater menu. He immediately tried to up-sell us to the regular menu, telling us he really likes the whole fish. We told him thank you, we will have the theater menu. He said he would go get the drinks and come back for our order. We didn't see him for another 10 minutes. When the waiter came back he had a tray full of drinks, dropped ours off saying he would be back for our order after he delivered drinks; we didn't see him for about 10 more minutes; thankfully, in the meantime, the manager came over to take our order. When the waiter returned 10 minutes later, he asked what we wanted to order and we explained someone else had taken the order. He didn't apologize. The food was average at best. I had the Greek dips which were fine, not great - i have had much better eggplant spread and tziatziki - and my husband had the grilled calamari which he said was tough (he eats a lot of it when out, he knows bad versus good calamari). For entrees, I had the lamb shank with pasta and feta - it was not good. The lamb had been deboned (so not so much a shank anymore) and it was a rather unappetizing color and shape due to this; the lamb was not very flavorful. The pasta was too rich with feta and had an off taste. My husband had Moussaka which he said was good, but not the best he has had. For dessert, we each had the honey cake which was good. The waiter was again MIA and when finally he came back, we were rushed to get our check so we could make the performance, but he had at least 5 other checks in his hand and we watched him at the register trying to run through all of the credit cards. We finally stood up and were going to go to the register to expedite this process as we were going to be late for the curtain, but another waitress saw us and brought us the check. You could say that the restaurant was overly busy due to the pre-theater rush, but Estia has been there for years and always offered a theater menu, so they need to be better prepared for this. Plus, even if service was better, the food was average at best. I would not return.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Greek Meal Ever”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

By far the best Greek meal I have had anywhere, including Greece. The atmosphere is tasteful, low lighting, white tablecloths, extremely attentive waitstaff - and the cuisine is elevated authentic Greek. Small plates and appetizers provided a delicious sampling of several hummus flavors, served with both pita and dipping vegetable crudites. The lamb was perfectly done at medium rare, the potatoes were crusty to the bite and moist inside. Both were seasoned well with touches of garlic, olive oil,and lemon which never overpowered. A surprisingly well seasoned and tasty side of sauteed mixed greens was also done perfectly, again with a light touch of lemon. This was the culinary highlight of our visit to Philadelphia - which says quite a bit for such a foodie city.