“Charming B&B with the most hospitable hostess”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philadelphia
1024 Clinton Street Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Knoxville
“Charming B&B with the most hospitable hostess”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed at this B&B when my dad was having open-heart surgery at the nearby Pennsylvania Hospital, and I could not have been more pleased. The rooms are charming and nicely decorated, the bed comfortable, the breakfast generous and quite tasty, and the location convenient to many things aside from the hospital. It's also located on a side street, so it's not noisy at all, even though it's right downtown. There's also free wifi with a great connection. The incredibly friendly owner (Kathy) is the most gracious person. She was so kind to me during my stay and I felt very well taken care of. I'd stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: There's no elevator, so if you have problems walking up stairs or if you have heavy luggage, ask...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank lovemykid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 December 2011

This is Mrs. Marcus reporting. We have stayed at many b&b's both in the U.S. and abroad. This was by far was the worst experience ever. We had loud neighbors until 3 a.m. and we were exhausted from our daughter's surgery that day (our reason for choosing that location). Not only did she not honor our reservation that we made for a room on the top floor (more remote) but she admitted she heard the noisy folks also but did nothing about it!!!

I live in a house as old as this and they are hard to clean but the Pearl room had paint hanging from the ceiling in many places, very filthy window ledges, paint chips on the floor where no vacuum had been since Summer. The water damage in the bathroom wall made me very suspicious of a potential mold problem as well. I sneezed the whole time I was there and needed medication for sinuses.

The only good thing I can say is that the Pearl room's bed was fine, and the linens were nice. Towels were stained though and kind of ratty. Perhaps other rooms are better, just check them out before you take the keys!!! We stayed one night, packed and left for a hotel that we knew would treat us right from previous stays for hospital visits.

Room Tip: Ask for the Topaz on the top floor......your only chance.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank MrsMarcus
Wellsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Reserved the king suite on the top floor for three nights. When we arrived we were told that our room was given to another guest who had decided to extend their stay. We were placed in another room with small bed in a noisier location on the second floor.

This innkeeper does not honor reservations made. Agree with other comments about poor food quality and poor property upkeep.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank MarcusBernard
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My wife and I travel regularly to Philadelphia for medical reasons. We came in a day early (Columbus Day) this time to see some of the sights. This place is gr-r-r-reat. Super location, quiet rooms, outstanding value. The room was so comfortable that we had trouble leaving it to go explore. Kathy made us feel like we were old friends and to forget about the real purpose of our trip. Everything was within walking distance. Will never stay in a hotel room again when in Philadelphia.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank steve s
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2011

we stayed in the Nook room, which was huge, we didn't see any of the other rooms but what we saw of the building was lovely. Kathleen was lovely, without being over-bearing. we had a fully stocked kitchen in the room, plates, cups, pans, coffee, tea, all breakfast food. so, we could eat at our table in our pyjamas, which made for a relaxing stay. the bathroom was big, with large shower and large bath too. it was in a lovely quiet area and within walking distance of the major sights.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fuzzyhb
La Costa, CA
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights end of June/early July on a trip driving through PA, MD and VA after flying in from southern California. We are late 40's /early 50's and travel frequently. We sometimes stay at a B and B, other times, hotels, depending on the location. Philadelphia (where I am originally from the outskirts of) seemed like the perfect place for a stay at a historic venue, hence we chose the B and B.

There is a lot of wonderful things about this place, and a few not so wonderful.

The Wonderful:

Kathleen is awesome, so kind and sweet and really tries to make your stay pleasant. We were very late coming in as we were stuck in DC traffic....she waited up and had everything ready for us, and even helped lug our heavy suitcases up the stairs while my husband was parking the car.

The location is superb...walking distance from almost anywhere you want to go. Parking is across the street as well. A coverage garage at $17 a day, not bad for the city. No in and out privileges as a note. Restaurants, cafes, stores and the historic sites are all very close by. We walked around at night and felt very safe.

The bed in the Pearl room was by far the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in. My husband wants me to call and ask her the make so we can buy one. The sheets were beyond soft. We had the best sleep in that bed, bar none.

The bathroom water pressure was great. I am fussy about this and had no complaints. 2 shower heads was a nice touch as well. The bathroom was small, but that is xpected in an older building like this.

The AC worked great and our room was cool constantly.

There was a quaint patio right off of our room where we could sit and relax, read, etc, we didn't have a chance to but I wish we did.

The room was very quiet. No noise issues.

The kitchen seemed stocked with what we needed although we didn't use it. There were pastries, eggs, milk, jam, etc. It looked like it would have been easy to whip up a nice little meal.

Kathy cleaned the room daily, always neat and tidy when we got back.

Now for the not so good....

We were unable to find the toilet paper the first night there and we were in late and exhausted. We ended up finding it finally in these canisters that were behind the toilet...and the lids were so on tight it was like exercising to get them off. It would have been helpful to have it easier to find or a note where to find it.

The 2nd night we ran out of toilet paper....and we were gone all day, barely there at night other than to sleep so it wasn't like we were using mounds of it....

The room could have been dusted a bit better....the lamps and molding were really dusty if I looked, and I have allergies, so when I started sniffling, I looked.

One or 2 of the lightbulbs in the light were burnt out. Just a little thing but I noticed it.

Kathleen was beyond nice, but she was not up on the local restaurant closings/hours and at 915 PM the night we got there she directed us to a place she knew and said was great, for a late dinner. About a 15 minute walk after finally arriving...it was closed for a 2 week vacation. Just would have been nice if she had known this as we were exhausted and this was just a long walk we could have avoided. She also didn't know if the local laundromat had drop off service or their hours, which would have been helpful for us.

All in all we had a lovely stay (once we got some toilet paper!) and enjoyed the visit. Just a few little things fixed up in the place would go a long way in making it a truly superb B and B. (outside front shutters could use a sprucing up....the neighbors were all very neat and clean....these were peeling and do really need a sanding and paint job).

For a couple it is comfortable, not so much for families that we could see. Or elderly as the stairs are steep, which wasn't an issue for us. We loved the building and the decor. We may stay here again if we come back, maybe not. But it is a nice place and we enjoyed the visit. And Kathleen, who again, was very pleasant and kind.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bethannsd65
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I stayed at the B&B with friends who were there for a conference. It was absolutely delightful! Kathy was very warm and welcoming. The old house was gorgeous. We had a wonderful, cozy room with a kitchenette on the second floor and a balcony with a little table for our morning coffee. The price was fantastic for what we received! Our little breakfasts in the rooms was very nice - it was so nice to relax and have coffee and a little continental breakfast in our rooms rather than the typical B&B where you eat with all the strangers. Not that I'm particularly unfriendly but it was just so COMFORTABLE! I love Kathy and her Bed and Breakfast!

Room Tip: All the rooms are delightful and come in all sizes
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business