“Where Are the Grownups?”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Xochitl

Xochitl
Reserve with OpenTable
Xochitl is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #895 of 4,341 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$14 - US$27
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish, South American, Central American
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: City Center East
Cross street: Pine Street
Description: Xochitl serves traditional Mexican fare with a modern twist in a fun and comfortable setting. Enjoy fresh made guacamole, antojitos, ceviches, and platos fuertes. Two full service bars feature hand-squeezed margaritas and fresh specialty cocktails. Our extensive tequila list features over 70 bottles.
Heidelberg, Germany
“Where Are the Grownups?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

A smallish eatery on Headhouse Sq, it provides an intimate atmosphere for Mexican cuisine. We were with a group that included 3 small children and the staff was helpful in getting us settled. Food was ok, especially if spicy is desired. They also serve an interesting selection of tequilas that allow you to compare flavors and proofs. When our bill came, I noticed they substituted a wine that was twice the price of what we ordered. When I questioned our waiter, I was told they were out of the wine I requested and they made substitution without informing me or asking ahead of time. I spoke with the senior person on duty behind the bar and was told he would have to check with the owner to adjust the bill. I thought it was fair only to pay the price of the wine I ordered instead of double. I waited at the bar for an indeterminate amount of time while the bartender hoped I would leave. Once he understood I was going to wait for him to make the phone call, he adjusted the bill.

Visited December 2013

Fort Mill, South Carolina
“Great Guacamole - but very poor Managment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I was always taught to look for the positive in each experience.

So here is the most positive thing about Xochitl - absolutely killer, custom-made quacamole and freshly made delicious, crisp chips. Hands down the best quac I have had in the past five years of dining out.

Unfortunately, we should have stopped at the appetizers.

Granted, we had a large party (about 20) and that it is hard for a waitress to keep up with orders and deliver food in a timely manner. We spent close to three hours in the restaurant and one of the members of our party never received her food and essentially had to share quacamole and parts of other people's dishes throughout the evening. The brief apology when the waitress handed her the check for her drink simply wasn't enough.

Food was uneven for most of our party - some dishes were well-cooked and delicious, and others were mediocre and forgettable. My husband's fish tacos were passable, but uninspired. However, two of us ordered their vegetarian sopa, which was described as a homemade masa cake, roasted seasonal vegetables, refritos topped with cojitas, pickled onions, cema in a pasilla, chili cumin coriander sauce. Sounds intriguing - right?

Both of us are long time vegetarians, and neither of us took more than two bites of this dish. What we ordered had sounded great - but what showed up on our plate was absolutely unpalatable. When the waitress took away our barely touched food, I explained what the problem was and respectfully asked that it be taken off our bills. Her manager arrived about five minutes later with a very confrontational attitude. Instead of trying to make the situation right, he informed me that lots of people had eaten that dish and thought it was fine. I told him I had been a vegetarian for almost 40 years and couldn't remember when I had had such a bad vegetarian meal at a restaurant. I told him that because our food was barely touched that he should take it off our respective bills. He told me that he would not. I told him that I regularly post on Trip Advisor and Open Table, and his attitude was "fine, go ahead." When our check finally arrived - another 20 minutes later, the uneaten entree was still on both of our bills.

I'm sure that the manager knew we weren't locals and therefore repeat business, but his discourteous and uncaring attitude was telling. We were not trying to cheat the restaurant or unreasonably complain about food that was edible. My friend and I were both hungry and would have been glad to have taken a substitute dish if one had been offered to us promptly. Unfortunately, our service was so MIA, that the waitress didn't see that we hadn't eaten until she was clearing everyone's plates at close to 10 pm.

The manager's attitude has earned this restaurant my two star rating.

Save your money and your feet because this place is off the beaten path. We went there as a group with such high hopes for a wonderful evening, but were very disappointed at the experience.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank nancyolah
“Love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Xochitl is not your typical tacos and burritos Mexican restaurant. If you are looking for Americanized Mexican food go somewhere else. The food here is Classic Mexican flavor. The well thought out menu offers incredible options. Must have items include the Queso Fundido, Guacamole made to order exactly as you like with a menu of ingredients. The Short Rib, Fried Chicken (yes fried chicken) and Flank Steak are fantastic. Here's a tip. Ask for " hot sauce" not salsa. The chefs bottles a few special house made sauces to add spice and flavor to your food. Don't miss the house made margarita made the traditional way with tequila, fresh lime and simple syrup. No margarita mix used here.

Philadelphia
“Bad manager”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Ate dinner at this place last night. We made our reservation through Savored and there was a problem with it at the restaurant. The manager was arrogant and insisted we had made the reservation through Open Table. We said there must be a mistake, and eventually he called Savored(who have done this before), and it was corrected. He came to our table and told us it was straightened out. He never apologized. It was too bad that his attitude was bad, because he ruined a nice evening. The food was good, and our waitress was a very sweet, helpful young Mexican woman, who knew her stuff. However, we are not rushing back there.

Visited October 2013
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
“If you just want to hemorrhage money on basic fare, then go.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

It's my second trip there. Both times I've been so underwhelmed. The food is extremely pricey for the portion sizes. Cocktails are about 12-15 bucks a piece. They have one bathroom, so if you need to go, you have to spend 10-15 minutes in line, like you're at a train station. The staff all have an attitude. Not impressed.

• Visited September 2013