“Great rooms!”

Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This bed and breakfast is in a quiet and friendly neighborhood, just walking distance from the from center city. Me and my two friends stayed at the Tip Top suite and the room was large and spacious and you have your own kitchen. The owners are very nice, friendly and always willing to help. Great place to stay if you ever want to go to Philly!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nick A

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Spent Labor Day weekend here and it was our (two women in early 30s) first experience of a B&B. My expectations were nothing close to what this turned out to be. I was thinking it as a cheap place to rest my head. Definitely didn't expect a quaint, amazingly clean, private kitchenette area, and very spacious.

CHECK IN/CHECK OUT: Check in was a breeze. They email you the front door and room door codes. So you don't have to be bothered with lining up at a check-in counter and didn't have to worry about room keys. On our day of checkout, it was pouring and our flight wasn't under 6pm. They allowed us to stay until it was time to head to the airport. Dan is very accommodating.

THE ROOM: We actually got there super early and they were able to accommodate us. The second we walked into the room, we were simply blown away. The decor is beautiful and matches the history of Philadelphia. The refrigerator was stocked with bread, butter, jelly, juice, water, milk, and half and half. The food basket had teas, popcorn, oatmeal, and cereal. The room was equipped with a flat screen tea, iron, hair dryer, shower/bath products, additional pillows, and blankets. Just know that there is no phone in the room. This didn't bother us because we had cell phones, but for those that don't - FYI.

VIEW: Our view was fantastic. We were able to see down 10th street and the skyline of Philadelphia.

SAFETY: I sat on the stairs out front every night (after midnight) and I felt very safe. There were no strange characters to look out for. Lots of bicycle riders and foot traffic 24/7.

LOCATION: This place is away from the hustle and bustle, but is in walking distance to everything - Italian Market, Jim's/Pats/Genos steaks, shopping on South St, Whole Foods, Washington for Vietnamese food, Chinatown, Reading Terminal Market, and we even walked to the Liberty Mall.

STAFF: The owners are super friendly and very helpful. I had a great chat with Dan one night. He gave me the history of the area, told me about his travels and love for calypso music, and also recommended some places to check out.

PEOPLE IN THE AREA: People are really nice and always willing to recommend places to check out. Hopefully you'll meet Mills, the neighbor. He shared a mountain of information for places to eat and hang out.

I sort of want this gem to remain hidden, because I don't want it to get to popular, where they raise their prices. LOL I would stay here again, in a heartbeat and in the same room.

CONS: No hot breakfast (eggs) or fruit provided, but there is a Whole Foods on the corner, as well as Sam's Morning Glory Diner. No easy way to contact the caretakers, I tried calling them by phone from my cellphone one day, and didn't get anyone. Email finally worked. Other than that, it was PERFECT!!

*Home away from Home!* This stay has changed my perceptions of b&bs.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs to climb and no elevator. Morning Glory on the third floor, but you'll be breathi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank detrini868
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Spent the weekend. I can honestly say that from the time I called to reserve and spoke to the woman manager, we have been completely satisfied.
I saw the pics and reviews before I booked. I was not worried. Our room was on the top floor and had a deck. THIS was GREAT! How could you beat your own private deck in the morning and evening. The room was charming and maybe a bit "quirky" as one guest used, but CLEAN is what I like and it was. No odor or not one bug seen. I loved the fact that we knew we were staying in an older building, and it was just fine.
If I wanted fancy, I would have gone center city, its not what I wanted. I needed a clean place in that neighborhood and got it. You can not beat the rates either. It has a lot of charm and antiques, I am very satisfied with the all the amenities it provided. There was more than enough to eat for you in the a.m. water,juice,coffee,milk,cereal,tea.bagels and muffins. All provided by staff and stocked each a.m. Quality toweling and a great hot shower.
I LOVED the fact that there aren't many people around and its very quiet and relaxing.
Bed was comfortable and slept well.
I would recommend this place. I am planning on returning.
Its a row house made into a B&B, very simple and relaxing. Give it a try.
P.S. I had a question while there on a weekend, left a message for the manager and she repsonded immediately via telephone. We are 100% satisfied!
Bathroom was spotless with h

Room Tip: get a room with an outdoor deck, its worth the extra stairs. I loved building 758.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 3lilindians
Reviewed 16 August 2013

This was my first visit to Philadelphia and I loved it. I felt safe walking. There were a lot of great restaurants and book stores within walking distance. The Visitor Center was helpful and Anthony's coffee shop had great espresso and pastries all within walking distance of the Inn. The Inn was very clean. The Innkeeper was great. I was able to stay within my budget and stay in a gorgeous historic Inn at the same time. Try to get one of the rooms with a balcony overlooking the city. That way you can have your morning cup of coffee while watching the sun come up. There is a Catholic church nearby, perfect for morning meditation. I would certainly stay at this Inn again and recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony and enjoy your morning coffee while you watch the sun come up.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Afrey1
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My fiance and I had another great experience at Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast. We have nicknamed it "our home away from home". The staff is top notch and very accommodating. I continue to recommend Bella Vista B'n'B to all friends and family who will be staying in Philadelphia. They have a two guests for life :)

Room Tip: There are some rooms without private bathrooms. Be sure to read the description of the room you woul...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sweet_Eggs
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

Location was around a 20 minute walk to the Independence Hall area. It was noisy at night and sharing the bathroom/kitchen area with another room didn't work to well with noisy neighbors who liked to occupy the bathroom. Location was not great for more than exploring the Italian area and having dinner there. We were advised by locals to not go walking in the area at night.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank runinCO
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We just spent 3 nights at this bed and breakfast and although they were full to capacity they did their best to accommodate us by having us move rooms each night. This was a bit inconvenient but the staff made it happen easily. All the rooms we used were lovely and beautifully furnished. Each evening breakfast offerings were made available to be taken to the rooms for next mornings breakfast. Each room had kitchen facilities to keep the food safe and to prepare it. I would definitely stay here again. The location was great, the price was good and we were comfortable.

Room Tip: there are lots of stairs to climb , so ask for a limit on that detail.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family