“2.5 stars”

Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2014

we stayed here on a sunday night at the beginning of june 2014. There is no parking lot and good luck finding a space along the street. Numerous times during our stay we had to drive around the neighborhood for quite a while before finding a space. The parking is 2 hours, except from 6pm to 8am. Then 2 hour limit starts again at 8am. The entrance to the building is a set of double narrow doors. One opens, god help you in getting through them if you are above normal size. There was no staff there the day of arrival, nor did we ever see anyone at all during the stay. This could be a problem if you needed anything or forgot toiletries. I would suggest taking your own soap, shampoo because what they provide is in a dispenser in the shower and it looks gross. Several types of product are mixed in the dispenser. There is no toothpaste or hairdryer provided either. Thank god i had all my own stuff. The rooms are old but clean, trim missing in the bathroom and a hole in the drywall near the shower. Breakfast is provided and is self service, a variety of breads, 2 muffins and hot and cold cereal as well as coffee to make yourself and hot chocolate and some tea bags. I needed a regular tea bag, there were none. OJ and milk and condiments were in the fridge. Overall, i doubt id stay here again. Would have nicer accommodations at a chain hotel.

Room Tip: front of building get road/outside noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank nichols96
Dan M, Owner at Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thank you for your review. All guest are advised to review www.philadelphiabellavistabnb.com to learn all aspects of staying at our BNB. All guest are sent a confirmation email, our policies, and a time of arrival email which clearly states the parking, self serve Continental Breakfast and booking information. City of Philadelphia 2 hour parking limit is Monday through Saturday. Sunday has no restrictions. Each block may have a different end time but generally all start at 8AM. Our office is open Monday through Saturday From 9AM until 5PM. We have staff staying at the BNB 24/7. They are always available to assist guests. We service our rooms on a daily schedule. While servicing we try to catch guests at home so we can say hi and see if they need anything. We provide in each room an Information Book that contains Contact numbers, email address, WIFI codes, Sightseeing , Parking, Area Restaurant, Coffee House, Shopping, Churches, Transportation information etc. We have many guest arriving from all over the world at any time of the day or night. We are a Key Less BNB. All rooms and the front doors have their own individual codes. We have a self check in procure to allow access at any time. It is clearly provided in a self check in email which is confirmed by the guest. We pride our self on our more than reasonable pricing and think most people would be hard pressed to find a hotel even a chain establishment comparable in the inner city of Philadelphia. We are in a great location that is close to all the best in Philadelphia.
All the Best,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I travel a LOT for business and when I can stay at someplace other than a big corporate hotel, I jump at the chance. Those big hotels have their benefits of course (earning points, restaurants inside, and so forth) but they're pretty anonymous. This month I had to go to Philadelphia twice for work. The first time I stayed at an airport hotel and it was just fine--clean, convenient, but rather expensive and not memorable. So for my second trip, I looked around and found the perfect place--for me. The Bella Vista was only one very walkable mile from the Convention Center. It was easy to book the room online, easy to get to the B&B from the train station by cab, and was in a great neighborhood. In fact, if you love Italian food, definitely stay in that neighborhood--the food options nearby are amazing.

The Bella Vista is unlike other B&Bs in that you don't share a hot breakfast with others; in fact, I never met the inn keepers or another person during my entire visit (I was given a code to get into the locked building and my room). The breakfast is continental style and available in your room. My room had a refrigerator stocked with water, juice, milk (for coffee or cereal) and yoghurt; a microwave, and some microwave popcorn!; a coffee maker, and fresh ground coffee in a container; toaster, and a variety of breads to toast and serve with jam and butter. That's really all I need! It was great, actually. I could eat in my pajamas and have the kind of light breakfast I generally eat. My room was quaint and very, very comfortable.

My room was the Evening Star and it was beautiful. I chose it particularly because it has a rooftop balcony with a gorgeous view of the city. That being said, it was up 4 flights of steep stairs, and then up another short set of steps into what was probably once the attic. The bathroom for the Evening Start was not in the room but was down those steps, across the hall, and then down another set of steep steps! I loved it. It was quirky and different--just the antidote I needed to the anonymous conference hotels I had been staying in.

Since I was on the 4th floor and in the back of the building, the room was very quiet. I was able to get a lot of work done (free wireless internet) and sleep soundly and comfortably.

Best of all my room was half the price of the conference rate for the hotels I would have stayed at near the convention center! I got to have a walk each morning and evening, and got away from the bustle of the convention center.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I've already told me husband we need to plan a long weekend in Philadelphia, stay at the Bella Vista, and wander around the neighborhood and the historic sites nearby.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty with stairs (or have a lot of heavy luggage), pay attention to which floor yo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank FMD126
Dan M, Owner at Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you for you detailed review. You pretty much described the essence of Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast. All information can be found at www.philadelphiabellavistabnb.com. ""Guest Rooms"' on the web site has pictures and detailed descriptions including the floor where the room / suites are located. We have a staff person available 24/7. The office is open Monday through Saturday 9 to 5. We service our rooms daily at which time we try to catch up with our guest although many guests may be away at conventions or out enjoying the sights and sounds of Philadelphia. Please return with your husband and enjoy the BNB and the neighborhood. Until then have great days.
All the Best,

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We absolutely loved staying here. I liked being in an authentic and quaint house in Philadelphia instead of the big hotels by the convention center.

It seems to me that people seeking B & B experiences are seeking something different from the chain hotels: something unique and personal. This is fantastic. For people expecting a traditional Bed & Breakfast with a big home cooked breakfast, this is not for you. That is why we spent time trying to think of a way to classify this concept-- not a hotel, not a condo, not a traditional B & B-- and yet, perfect for us. We could not be restricted by a breakfast schedule due to a conference schedule. Bed, Kitchen & Bath could easily be a new category.

Email correspondence was immediate and I have no doubt that if we needed anything specific, we would have been accommodated. I really liked having the door codes so we did not need a key.

Putting things into perspective, my colleague stayed at the Marriott by the convention center for the group rate of $250/night and still needed to pay $15/day for internet. We paid $145/night for a full kitchen, easy access to public transportation, a nice walk to the convention center and free internet. :-)

My husband and I hope to bring our teenage daughters to Philadelphia at some point in the future and if we do, this will be the first reservation we make.

Room Tip: If I was a single college student, I would get the room with a shared bath. At my age, I want a pri...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank jklmn1995

Thank you for your review. Bed, Kitchen and Bath sounds like a good idea for a classification of a Bed and Breakfast in the 21st century. Philadelphia has very few BNB that offer a cooked breakfast. It is extremely difficult to get a commercial cooking licence from the City of Philadelphia. It would not be permitted in many historic townhouses such as ours.The few that due offer that service have a more pricey rate due to the added expense to them. Fortunately for our BNB we have 4 of the best breakfast Cafe / Restaurants within walking distance. In fact Morning Glory Diner on our block and Sabrina's Cafe around the corner have people coming from all over the city to enjoy their exceptional breakfast offering. Many travelers that visit Philadelphia are on a mission with a limited period of time and appreciate the convince of a Self Serve Continental Breakfast that they can eat in their room on their schedule. Our Self Serve Continental Breakfast details are posted at www.philadelphiabellavistabnb.com. Under guest rooms are pictures and descriptions. We hope you get the opportunity to visit again with your children so they also can experience all the wonderful and historic sights in Philadelphia.
Value and Location, Location Location is a great point. Thank you.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

LOCATION AND PARKING: The location is great. It's in the center city within walking distance of all the traditional historical sites you would want to see. This was key for us. There is two hour street parking, but for overnight parking you need to park in a garage. The Bella Vista suggested a conveniently located parking garage with fairly decent rates that we utilized. I did not think parking was a problem.

ROOM: We stayed in the Philadelphian Suite which was located on the second floor of the main building. The suite was large and decorated with an eclectic collection of antiques. I thought that it fit the space well. Everything was clean and smelled fresh. There was a full kitchen in the suite, which would be excellent for longer stays. The bed was comfortable, but it definitely wasn't a quiet room. It overlooks the street (which wasn't unusually busy) but it is a city so we could hear some traffic as well as echoes throughout the building.

BREAKFAST: As the website states, there is not full, hot breakfast included. There are fixings for a continental breakfast in the room which is sufficient, but disappointing if you want a full breakfast. However, as I mentioned, there is a full kitchen in this suite so you can always do more.

VALUE: Since I booked this room in the off season, I was able to get about 25% off. For the discounted price, I am happy with what I got. I would go back again because I had a pleasant experience, but if I may also look for a truer bed and breakfast experience.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking South 10th St. will likely have some noise.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Alexandra T

Thank you for your review. Visiting our web site at www.philadelphiabellavistabnb.com will give pictures and information on all suites and rooms along with the floor where they are located. If you are not use to staying in a city I would definitely suggest a room in the middle or rear of the townhouses. In those rooms as well as our back deck / garden you would not even realize that you are in the city. Most of the BNB in center city Philadelphia serve a Continental breakfast. The few that have a formal cooked breakfast can be pricey. It is difficult to get a Philadelphia licence that allows commercial cooking and extremely difficult to be approved in a historic townhouse setting. Morning Glory Diner on our block and Sabrina's Cafe around the corner draw people from around the city to enjoy there breakfast offering. Great places for those who want a delicious cooked meal. Our suites have fully equipped kitchens and there are many places nearby such as Whole Foods, Super Fresh, the Italian Market and Superior Ravioli to pick from a large variety of foods to bring home. We are happy you stayed with us and hope we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I are from Philly and once in a while like to return to visit friends, but we are definitely too old to be couch-surfing like we used to, so I booked this b&b for 1 night this past weekend and it was exactly what we wanted. Really great center-city location, and a reasonably priced room in a classic Philadelphia rowhome. I hate big chain hotels. This place feels like home. Vintage decor, antique vibe, but comfortable and clean. Also, a private, self-service continental breakfast at our en-suite breakfast nook was a nice touch. Nothing fancy, just some toast, muffins, and breakfast cereal, but it hit the spot. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carly H

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. We are glad you felt at home at Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast. Visiting old friends in Philly is always fun. Please come back to your home town soon and stay with us at your home away from home.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

If you are looking for a good B&B in Philli, that's the place. Everything is clean, the bed is very confortable and the breakfast is yummy, with homemade muffins!! The location is phenomenal and you can visit the all the touristic places by foot, without car or public transportation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for you review. The Bella Vista neighborhood is indeed the most convenient area of center city. It is full of great restaurants, cafes and shops. As we say it is "Close to all the best of Philadelphia". Time to return for a visit. We hope to see again you soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Nothing like the brochure!! Owners do not know apparently what a bed and breakfast is. They are not welcoming, room had NO HEAT and is was 20 degrees out! Walls were peeling, no breakfast, leak in kitchen sink nearly flooded out the space which I was forced to clean up!
Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere! Trust me!! I like old and historical, but this was poorly maintained, poorly run and nothing like any b & b we've ever stayed in!!! Sorry, but I must be honest here. Tons of places to stay in Phila!! NOT HERE !!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! No service, not clean. not warm, not welcoming and no breakfast!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank nanny6226
Dan M, Owner at Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

My response:

Thank you for the review. As the owner of Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast and as someone who cares a great deal about our guests comfort and one who strives to provide value and satisfaction for everyone who stays at Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast I find it necessary for all readers of this review to hear my perspective. First and foremost I must respectfully disagree with what has been stated in this review.

I am the owner and personally greeted this guest and spent quite some time showing them the room and our detailed "Information Book" which contains BNB contact information, BNB policies, Continental breakfast info, door codes, WIFI pass word, together with general information about the Bella Vista neighborhood. As you will note from other reviews we are often complemented on the cleanliness of our BNB. We have an excellent cleaning staff that meticulously cleans every room before a guest arrives. They also service the rooms daily for the benefit and comfort of guests staying multiple days. The office manager is charged with inspecting each room before the guest arrives to insure that everything is in order. I personally inspected the room prior to, during and after this guest stayed for one night. I found it warm, no pealing walls and no leak. This guest was booked by an outside travel agency. We generally take few reservations from a third party source. The agency was instructed to advise the guest about our Lite Self Serve Continental Breakfast and that the guest should review our web site to insure that they had a clear understanding of what to expect. We send every guest a confirmation email when we receive their booking. That email clearly states and explains our policies, breakfast offering, parking, contact information and check in and out procedures. We follow that email up just prior to their arrival date with a time of arrival email which restates our policies etc. We also advise in that email and when the guest arrives that if there is any problem, request or concern the guest should contact the office. Once we are contacted we will make every effort to address any concerns or issues that are within our control. We did not receive any call from this guest reporting any problems or concerns. I saw this guest the following morning and asked if everything was OK and was told everything was fine. I then wished them a safe trip home.