“Really fantastic location and wonderful value for the money!”

Best Western Plus Independence Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Granbury, Texas
“Really fantastic location and wonderful value for the money!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Loved that there are only 36 rooms in this boutique hotel! We never had problems with noise or getting an elevator. We were very impressed with how clean this hotel stayed throughout our visit. The breakfasts there are really good - great selection with meat every morning. (Do not be fooled if booking through Orbitz. They tried to "upsell" meat in our breakfast but the hotel offers the same breakfast buffet to everybody.) After reading others' reviews, we requested a room at the back of the hotel, away from elevators, on an upper floor. We were on the fifth floor (highest floor). We had no view at all BUT it was very, very quiet. The bed was very comfortable. Linens and toiletries were all nice. We had a queen room with fridge/microwave combo which was nice as there are small stores around and we could pick up drinks and snacks. Hotel staff was very accommodating.

The location cannot be beat! You are literally half a block, and across the street, from Independence Square! On top of that, you are on Chestnut Street which is full of eclectic restaurants and nightlife. We found the location unbeatable. Hotel staff had encouraged us not to rent a car (this was a first for us as we always rent a car). They were right! We walked everywhere, even to the Art Museum district which was a few miles but a wonderful walk with plenty to see.

We really appreciated that the hotel staff stored our luggage for us on the last day when our flight was cancelled and we had an entire extra day to fill before leaving that night. That took a huge burden off of us. When we were ready to leave, they even called a cab for us. Excellent desk service!

We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and we would be happy to stay there again unless one of us had a mobility issue. I only had one complaint about this hotel and it's not their fault. I was in a wheelchair temporarily due to Achilles Tendon Reconstruction. While they offered to put out the ramp for us, there is no room for it. This is a historic building and the sidewalks are very, very old and narrow. To get them to put the ramp out, we had to go in and get them then wait til they could do it. Since I was able to walk, just not for a distance, I would always get out of the chair and walk in myself then hold all the doors open for my husband to get the chair in. Again, not the hotels fault BUT, if you are in a chair or use a walker or scooter, this is the wrong hotel for you due to accessibility issues and the rooms, while very nice and comfy, are not large enough for extra accessibility issues.

Room Tip: Choose a room from the second floor up and towards the back of the hotel, away from elevators. Ches...
1 Thank Lacey C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Alaska
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I booked this hotel last minute as the hostel I wanted to stay at got my reservation incorrect. Of course, the price is WAY different than my hostel but I expected that. I just wanted to stay in this neighborhood. My view was overlooking the skywindow, which wasn't very nice and I got little light but I didn't spend time in the room anyway except to sleep so it wasn't an issue. I stayed in the front tower, so there were only a few rooms on my floor which definitely helped with the noise. That being said, someone slammed their door in the middle of the night and I almost had a heart-attack because it sounded like it was my room door, being that all the rooms are very close together. Staff was friendly, and the water in the lobby was great after a day out exploring. The continental breakfast was outstanding. There are vending machines, but they only offer drinks and no snacks, which was disappointing. Overall, an acceptable stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a street view and not a skylight view if you want more sunlight!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 June 2014

upon check in our room temp. was quite comfortable. a couple of hours later the room was warming up a lot. at the desk Angie from housekeeping said she knew exactly what to do. a few moments later our room temp was noticeably falling and we had no problem the next three nights and did not have to wait on maintenance. thanks so much! this is a beautiful hotel that is right in the heart of everything. they could sure use a hand rail or two at the front door. great time, and we will stay again mike and peggy f.

1 Thank Peggy325
Sugar Land
Reviewed 15 June 2014

If you want to explore the Independence Park area, this is great option! My daughter and I took a shared shuttle from the airport ($10/person) and spent the afternoon exploring the Independence Park area and Elphrath alley on foot. The staff are all very friendly and helpful and will give you a nice map of the area. We enjoyed the complimentary afternoon tea and cookies, and the hot breakfast is nice, pretty standard, with Liberty Bell shaped waffles. Rooms are small, comfortable and cozy with modern bathrooms. It was a very short walk to City Tavern for dinner, and the staff arranged a taxi for us on check-out. We would definitely stay here again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We always stay here when in town. It's close to the historic attractions and good restaurants. The staff here works hard to make everything go well. This feels more like a boutique hotel instead of a chain. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Each room is different as this is an historic building.
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I very much like this hotel and stay there every time I stay in Philadelphia. The location is excellent,. It is not too big. The staff is very pleasant and extremely helpful. The breakfast is very pleasant and big enough. I am just sorry my schedule seldom allows me to indulge in their afternoon wine, etc. get togethers.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

InnsOfDistinction, General Manager at Best Western Plus Independence Park Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Les5926

"Another good stay"...

Thanks for staying with us again and for the kind words and great review on TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate both!

My staff and I love to see your reviews and to see that we have earned your repeated trust and business. Plus, we love seeing that we are your favorite Philadelphia hotel...this is good news!

So, when are you coming back,? It's been a few week...we miss you!

JM
Sedro Woolley, Washington
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our group of four females (age 16-60) stayed three nights in late April in this Best Western.
Pros-Excellent location
Beautiful historic building
Superb bed, quiet room
Clean bathroom, thick towels, and large counter
Pleasant and helpful staff
Complimentary breakfast w/"Liberty Bell" waffles!
Relaxing atmosphere in lobby w/afternoon tea & cookies

Con-A little pricey

Each day in Philly was a full experience and to come "home" to such a relaxing and comfortable hotel was a joy. Yes, it was pricey but the memories were priceless!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family