“I concur completely with the one 'poor' review given for this Bed & Breakfast Inn”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Spruce Hill Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philadelphia
Spruce Hill Manor
Ranked #3 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this B&B last year with my husband, my daughter and her fiancée and decided not to write a review for trip advisor even though we were bitterly disappointed with the accommodation. Having just read the one 'poor review' that has been posted I was prompted to rectify this. I would concur fully with the comments given. The house is sited on the outskirts of a decidedly dodgy area. The breakfast was exactly as the reviewer has described and that also goes for the decor.
My daughter's fiancée's only comment was "if this is the number one B&B in Philadelphia ......stay in a hotel" !!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank mmw_10
SHManorBB, Owner at Spruce Hill Manor, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
We are devastated when a guest has a negative experience at Spruce Hill Manor and feel the best response is to remind our guests of our money back guarantee.

We have already contacted the reviewer by email to this effect and our awaiting their decision as to how we may fully refund their stay, by check or credit card refund.

With warmest regards,

Janet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Janet is a glistening gem. She was extremely thoughtful and kind, also very respectful of privacy and space. The dinning room was lovely and the breakfast was great (not to mention the other guests we met over quiche, with whom we will now continue an everlasting friendship). We stayed in 'The Library', a romantically eccentric room with built in bookshelves lining one wall. Among the great American novels, children's classics, and Philadelphia-centric books, I also found a copy of John Cage's 'Silence'. "What is this magical wonderland" you ask? "It's Spruce Hill Manor" I reply with gusto. -Sarah from Brooklyn

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sarah h
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I travelled to philly for a job interview at Penn hospital and wanted to be somewhere close to hospital campus so I chose to stay at Spruce Hill due to location and I was very surprised with the warm welcome, wonderful atmosphere and amazing hospitality of Janet, the innkeeper.
She does everything she can to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable.
She even gave me a ride to my job interview early that morning so I don't have to stress over finding the location which was a huge help.
You can not find this level of hospitality anywhere. I truly felt I am staying at a relative's house and was very calm and comfortable despite the stress of the interview.
The place is beautiful and at a prime location of philly.
If you are reading this review, you have considered staying at this place. I tell you do not hesitate and book it. you will be happy about your decision !!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hoda M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

The host Janet was exceedingly hospitable. The room was warm and well-decorated. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast was continental from Whole Foods plus made-to-order eggs. We enjoyed our stay and plan to return for our next trip to Philly.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I was back in Philly for Christmas and stayed once again at Spruce Hill Manor. As with the first time I stayed there (last August), the experience was great. I must say Philadelphia is probably becoming my favorite American city and Spruce Hill Manor and its owner, Janet, are playing no lesser role in it. You certainly feel so much at home there. Janet is such a great host. She does her best to make your stay as memorable as possible. She is always available but without ever imposing on you. She even gave me some lovely Christmas gifts.
The room I stayed at, Tiffany´s, is lovely, beautifully furnished and with a spacious bathroom, and the area, the University District, is a very nice, quiet and enjoyable neighborhood within walking distance of many of the city´s main attractions and serviced by reliable SEPTA buses, subway and trolleys.
Spruce Hill is definitely the place to stay at when in Philly.

Room Tip: Tiffany´s is not as spacious as the other rooms but if you are travelling solo it is large enough an...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed at Spruce Hill last weekend and were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Instead of a boring box hotel room downtown, the B&B gave us charm and quirkiness. The owner, Janet, was absolutely lovely, doing everything from driving us to the closest subway stop "because it's too cold to walk" to scrabbling around in her personal effects to find an old DVD set of foreign films for us to borrow. She also handed us a bag of little Christmas gifts as we checked out. She treated us to an evening cocktail and breakfast the next morning was very good. It was like being Mommy- pampered without being intrusive, all of which is sort of nice when you're in your 40s. The hotel itself is not fancy but it is very clean and comfortable and, again, more interesting than a standard hotel. We definitely would stay here again.

Room Tip: We liked the Audubon room -- there is a sitting area with a TV that adjoins the bedroom.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lara J
Hendersonville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

The best thing about Spruce Hill manor is the host, Janet – incredibly kind, accommodating, and helpful. The home is fairly old with several rooms to choose from. Ours was very spacious with its own mini-kitchen. We enjoyed the pastry and tea selections available at all hours of the day in the dining area.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple