“Excellent host”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Spruce Hill Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philadelphia
Spruce Hill Manor
Ranked #3 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Edinburgh
“Excellent host”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We spent a wonderful weekend in Philadelphia, where Spruce Hill is conveniently located near the tram and even not too far for a walk into town.
Janet is a wonderful and very accommodating host. She even got up early on our day of departure to take us to the station at 06:00 a.m.!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I had a wonderful stay at the Spruce Hill Manor. The hostess, Janet, upgraded our room since we had to reschedule due to the snow the previous week. She also helped us make dinner reservations, which I thought was very nice. The room was huge, gorgeous, and had a nice kitchen that we utilized. I loved the breakfast, which consisted of quiche and organic goods from Whole Foods. Overall, I loved our stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was recently in Philadelphia for a conference at The University of Pennsylvania and decided to stay at Spruce Hill Manor instead of the Sheraton which was twice as expensive. My stay at Spruce Hill Manor was fabulous. I was there three nights and enjoyed each one. Janet was extremely kind and gracious. Her attention to detail is outstanding and she is very attentive to the needs of her guests. Initially I was concerned about walking the distance to campus for my meetings so she offered to drive me! It turned out that the walk was only a few blocks so I didn't need the ride, but I thought it extremely kind of her to offer.

My room was very clean and tidy. The neighborhood and house are well located relative to both Drexel and UPenn. It took me about 15 minutes to walk to UPenn for my meetings and about 5 minutes to Drexel.

All in all I definately recommend Spruce Hill Manor and appreciate the value and service I got for my money!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Billie Holiday room which is on the front of the house and has a view of the street...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JasonILM
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Had a lovely overnight stay at Spruce Hill Manor. I am very happy I found this place as my son, a Drexel student, lives just a block away. Everything was perfect, very clean, lots of attention to details. Janet is a charming hostess, helpful and attentive. I'm looking forward to go back !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed for two days and loved it! Got a personalized experience. The inn keeper, Janet, is very sweet and accommodating-she asked us what foods to buy/make and invited our son who we were visiting for breakfast with no charge. The rooms were clean and above expectations. The house was quaint and each room was more stunning then the next. Overall had a very nice getaway and would definitely revisit and recommend it to others. We were 2 blocks away from Drexel Campus so this was the perfect location for us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mdm907
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We stayed one night for a romantic weekend. Janet was super friendly, helpful, chatty and genuinely interested in us. We got an upgrade and she even drove us to the train station the next morning. Breakfast was great, she had baked a wonderful quiche. We actually ended up having something like a three hour breakfast with a Brooklyn couple who was also staying there, and Janet joined us for great conversation as well. Its outside of downtown, but a very quick ride with public transportation into town and was not inconvenient for us.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank vqye
Holyoke, MA
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Expectations are everything, and from the reviews mine were quite high. The room was well-appointed (we stayed in the Billie Holiday room) and the house was close to public transit into the city, which we loved. But I wanted more from the B and B experience than a hotel would provide, and I'm not sure that my expectations were met. While pleasant and helpful, Janet seemed distant and withdrawn. I left feeling like I knew nothing about her and she knew nothing about me or my husband. She did not join us or "host" breakfast other than setting out a cold continental buffet (which had great choices of cereal, fruit, milk, juice and breads). She mostly stayed in her sitting room off of the breakfast room. We were also staying at the B and B at an unfortunate time - the entire B and B other than our room had been rented out by an extended family and they all knew each other. When we tried to join the other folks for breakfast we were told their table was reserved just for their family (there was a card to that effect left by the hostess that they showed us) and instead my husband and I ate by ourselves at a smaller table next to the large dining table. It felt odd and a bit uncomfortable, and that isn't why we wanted to stay at a B and B. The hostess did nothing to mitigate the situation or warn us as we checked in the night before about this fact so we were unprepared for it. And if I wanted to stay in a place where we felt anonymous I would have stayed at a hotel. In a hotel the room wouldn't have been as unique, but it probably wouldn't have been a let down in terms of expectations. I thought our first stay at a B and B would be better...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank megmagrath85
SHManorBB, Owner at Spruce Hill Manor, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
We are devastated when a guest has a negative experience at Spruce Hill Manor and feel the best response is to remind our guests of our money back guarantee.

We have already contacted the reviewer by email to this effect and our awaiting their decision as to how we may fully refund their stay, by check or credit card refund.

With warmest regards,