“Value worth going out of your way for”
Review of Day By Day

Day By Day
Ranked #406 of 4,509 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$4 - US$14
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: City Center West
Reviewed 21 June 2013

At a conference in central Philly I was looking for a special place for lunch. I found reviews of this place and gave it a try. Walked through the neighborhood and found a gem. They obviously care about healthy options and fresh quality food, but they didn't sacrifice flavor or variety to get there. I am picky and I was not disappointed.

Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and i went here while staying in philly. Its a smaller restaurant and we were told 40 minutes as a wait when we got there. You didnt have to wait around for them to call your name--they texted us so we just walked down a few more blocks and got a cup of coffee while waiting. Only ended up having to wait 20 minutes. The food was good and service was awesome! Would def recommend!

Reviewed 8 December 2012

I absolutely love this brunch place. Fast service and absolutely delicious food. Not too overpriced. They have amazing fresh baked desserts and pastries that are so popular they frequently sell out. I would recommend the cinnamon buns or the sticky toffee buns.

1  Thank Ali W
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We went for Saturday morning brunch and were told we would have to wait an hour. I was willing to do that. It was the hour wait for the food that was unacceptable. This is a breakfast restaurant. Food should be fast. By the time the food came I was no longer hungry. No breakfast is worth a two hour wait.

2  Thank NorthJerseyGirl040
Reviewed 21 September 2012

OK - I'm prejudiced. I guess I have eaten a couple hundred meals here in the last 12 years. Their cooking is at least as good as mine, with much greater creativity and variety.

Wonderful soups - I love the mushroom, my partner loves them all. Usually one standard (like Italian Wedding or gazpacho), is on offer, as well a second, more creative soup. There is always at least one quiche, 2 omelettes, and a special salad or two. Soups, salads and quiches change weekly. The consistent lunch menu includes sandwiches, salads and house entrees. The daily lunch specials usually feature one pasta, 1 carnivore delight, something vegetarian and a surprise.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday brunch includes standards like Eggs Benedict (variations with lox or crab often available), unique dishes like the sweet potato/chorizo hash w fried eggs, great latkes, a lox or whitefish platter, and specials like stuffed pancakes. They open @ 10 on the weekend. come early to avoid the line.

My relatives and friends include vegetarians and vegans. The only problem they have with ordering at Day by Day is making the decision - lots of choices.

We meet a friend or friends here for lunch or brunch at least one day every weekend that we are in town. It can get noisy and there is often a wait, but the food is so good...

Day by Day has been here for over 25 years, but i've only patronized it for the past 12 - since I moved into an apartment across the street. Lest you think my choice is limited, let me point out that there are nearly 20 good restaurants within a 2 block walk from here - 2 are closer, most are at least OK, but Day by Day is affordable, tasty, consistent and - I love the place.