“I had lunch there on Near Years Eve day. One might argue that this is not the best day to go.... but it is the day I...”
Review of Rae - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Rae
Neighbourhood: Fairmount Park
Neighbourhood: Fairmount Park
Reviewed 6 April 2008

I had lunch there on Near Years Eve day. One might argue that this is not the best day to go.... but it is the day I went. The place was nearly empty. They were having a New Years party that night, and therefore (understandably) a limited lunch menu. The party seemed to be a big distraction as the lunch service was average-to-poor. We were seated just under the stairway at the front entrace, a bit of a cramped & claustrophobic location, despite the rest of the place being empty. The food itself (I had a grilled salmon) was very good, but not exeptional. With all the hype this place has been getting, it just did not live up to my expectations.

Chicago
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“bad experience”
Reviewed 17 February 2008

I had a 9pm reservation on a sat night but was not seated until 10:15. One would think that is a good sign for a restaurant, but for Rae it is not. While sitting at the bar, I observed at least 3 tables that remained un-bussed for more than 35 min. Also, there were at least 7 tables unoccupied but apparently there were no servers for the tables. Lined up at the bar were at least 20 unhappy people that could not get seated. I saw a group of 4 leave after waiting 1.5 hour for a table (and they had reservations!). The staff was relatively unapologetic. Once we were seated, it still took a waiter 15min to make it to our table. By this point, the valentines dinner I had planned for my wife was ruined! We decided to leave since there was no way we could enjoy the food, regardless of the quality. The bottom line: GET RESERVATIONS AT A MORE DEPENDABLE RESTAURANT, OR THIS MAY HAPPEN TO YOU!
by the way, Have been there before and food is ok but there are much better places for less money. Wines by the glass are also overpriced: A low end Australian cabernet for $15/glass, a low end shiraz for $12, and a low end oregon pinot noir for $18 (the same price that you can get the bottle for in a store).

1 Thank allsaintChicago
Bucks County PA
“Congratulations on the cover Photo of Philly Mags Best 50 Restaurants”
Reviewed 1 February 2008

Had a nice B Day dinner last night at Rae. Food was imaginative, tasty & the service was friendly & attentive. The second floor dining area overlooks the trains coming & going from 30th st station, so it's fun to watch all the activity from a serene perch! BTW, the second floor is way better for intimacy than the single scene in the bar area.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I actually have heard nothing but terrible stories from this place.”
Reviewed 7 January 2008

I actually have heard nothing but terrible stories from this place.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Love it for it's name. Don't love it for the expensive drink prices.”
Reviewed 4 January 2008

Love it for it's name. Don't love it for the expensive drink prices.