“Terrible Customer Service”

Ranked #43 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Hartford, Connecticut
“Terrible Customer Service”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I had a reservation, made directly with Embassy Suites, for a two-double-bed non-smoking room for my family of four. When we arrived at 10pm with our tired young chilren, the check-in man said, "Here's the deal" and I knew it was not going to be good news.

He informed me that they had overbooked the hotel. He said he only had two rooms left, a one-king-bed smoking room or a one-king-bed conference room. With four of us, those rooms were of absolutely no use. Why did I bother to make a reservation if it meant nothing? Showing basically no sympathy for the situation they put us in, the man offered no assistance...no apology...no suggestions...no attempt to find us a room at another hotel. What do we do at 10pm after a long day traveling with two tired young children and now with no place to stay? Fuming, we put them back in the car and drove five hours home, completely exhausted.

Needless to say, we will not be making any more "reservations" with Embassy Suites. How can you trust that they'll have a room for you when you arrive?

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Jeff L, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
On behalf of the Embassy Suites Philadelphia Airport, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you endured upon your arrival. I deeply regret that we were unable to meet your request for a non smoking suite with double beds. I understand the disappointment and discomfort to which you were subjected. This was not correct and should have never occured.

At your convenience, please drop me a line at jeff.lovrencevic2@hilton.com as I would like to resolve these issues for you.

Thank you again for your thoughtful feedback and for choosing the Embassy Suites Philadelphia Airport for your hospitality needs. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to regain your faith in us on a future visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Butte, Montana, United States
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I had made a reservation and secured it with a credit card. When I arrived at 11 p.m. they had sold my room to someone else. I was not the only customer that this happened too, there were 5-6 other guests waiting in line behind me and a couple in front of me who all suffered from this. This is totally unacceptable!! Other than a weak offer to find another motel nearby I did not receive an apology or any offers to make up for what was certainly their mistake. I'm sure either they gave my room to someone with more Honors points or someone gave their desk staff an 'extra' tip to get a room. The front desk staff were totally disorganized and confused about what was going on and I waited in line for about 20 minutes just to find out I didn't have a room. I have stayed at this motel before and have generally had acceptable service. Arriving at 11p.m. after a day of travel and finding you don't have a room does lend itself to a good experience!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
On behalf of the Embassy Suites Philadelphia Airport, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you endured upon your arrival. Certainly, this is not the type of guest experience we are trying to provide.

Unfortunately, due to no fault of your own, we were unable to honor your guaranteed reservation. In our zeal to accommodate in-house guest requests, we inadvertently found ourselves in the embarrassing situation you encountered. This was our mistake and I accept full responsibility for the error. I deeply regret the shadow this incident has cast on your trip to Philadelphia and the Embassy Suites Hotels. I trust your substitute accommodations were satisfactory and that my staff did their utmost to minimize your inconvenience.

Embassy Suites does back up its commitment to guest service with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We guarantee high-quality accommodations, clean, comfortable surroundings and friendly, efficient service. If you are not completely satisfied, we do not expect you to pay. Accordingly, we made arrangements to assume the room charges for your stay at an alternate property that evening and provided you with a gift certificate to come back and stay at our hotel for one night. While I realize that this does not make up for the inconvenience, I hope it is an indication of our commitment to customer service.

Philadelphia
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Celebrating our 5 year anniversary was splendid in Philadelphia. We enjoyed our stay and all the amenities at the Embassy. Especially Happy hour..it helped set the mood for the rest of the evening! Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 23 May 2012

This was perhaps the worst hotel experience of my life. It started out with the fact that despite my wishes and what I booked, I was relegated to a disgustingly smelly smoking room. Then, after I got into the room, I realized that it was a specially equipped wheelchair room, which, of course, is fine. I understand and appreciate that the hotel accommodates handicapped travelers, but it was not what I was expecting. Anyway, I accepted everything, but then the awful loud humming noises started. The noises woke me in the morning and they also just woke me now, which is why I am writing this review at nearly 1:00 AM and in a slightly irritated tone. I addressed my general disdain with the hotel staff and got the proverbial blow-off. Anyway, the bottom line is, if you want a nice, quiet, fresh-smelling room and appreciate good customer service, this is not the hotel. The breakfast was sub-par as well. A crusty omelette and burned pancakes are no way to start the day. I travel for business nearly every week and have never had such an awful experience. I don't think I have ever stayed at an Embassy Suites before and after this experience, I'll be hard pressed to try another one. Do yourself a favor and find somewhere else.

Room Tip: Make sure to double check that they have non-smoking rooms and you are not in a 1st floor room right...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
bswales, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences about your stay at the Embassy Suites Philadelphia International Airport.

I apologize and regret the noise issues that you encountered from your guest suite. We discovered that this noise was derived from air in the pipes that needed to be released. Our maintenance staff completed this repair on the following day. There is no excuse for not resolving this issue to your satisfaction and I will make sure to review your comments so that this does not happen again. We take a great deal of time to train our staff on appropriate problem resolution to ensure these types of issues are handled expeditiously. I have also shared the breakfast food quality comments with our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Director. Our mission at the Embassy Suites Philadelphia is to deliver exceptional hospitality and I am disappointed that we failed in our attempt.

At your convenience, please drop me a line at brad.swales@hilton.com as I would like to resolve these issues for you.

scranton, pa
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We flew out of Philly on a Monday morning at 4 AM and got back Friday at Midnight. We had absolutely no trouble leaving our car there for that time and the shuttle was prompt both ways. The manager's reception was a nice surprise and the breakfast was very good. I would definitely stay again. The room was clean, the bathroom and shower were clean and easy to use and the living room was comfortable. The decor was a little old but not frayed.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
bswales, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thnak you for taking the time to share your experiences about your stay at the Embassy Suites Philadelphia International Airport. It is great to hear that the shuttle was on time as expected, the suite was clean and you enjoyed our complimentary cooked to order breakfast and mangers reception. It sure is gratifying to know that our passion in delivering hospitality is appreciated.

Thank you again for your gracious feedback and for choosing the Embassy Suites Philadelphia Airport for your hospitality needs. We will be honored to host your return engagement.
Newton, Kansas
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I have been staying at this location almost every week since Nov. 2011. The staff are all warm and courteous. The facility is well kept with a nice pool/hot tub and workout facility. Breakfast is good, especially the cooked-to-order items. Check-in and check-out are usually very fast and efficient. There have been a few times where check-in wasn't up to par, but I think that particular staff member was new to the routine since I'd only seen them once or twice before. The others definitely make up the difference. There were a couple weeks where 2-3 bus loads of kids came and it was definitely chaotic. However, the hotel staff did what they could, when it was really the responsibility of the chaperons to keep control of the kids, not the hotel staff.

The only thing that I don't like is since it's an atrium style hotel, all the noise from the atrium comes into any room in the hotel. However, the nice thing, since the bedroom is separate, the noise never makes it that far so sleeping is always quite.

Also, even though it is right across the interstate from the airport, there is little noise from the air or road traffic and I enjoy the rooms looking towards the airport.

Room Tip: All the rooms have been great with very little differences. I tend to stay away from the elevators...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Embassy Suites Philadelphia International Airport and appreciate your kind and gracious comments regarding our warm and courteous staff. I apologize for any inconvenience that we caused you in the registration process and will make sure that we address this during our training process. I also appreciate that you recognized the efforts we put forth to handle our business levels and the value of our two room suites.

Thank you again for your feedback and for choosing the Embassy Suites Philadelphia Airport for your hospitality needs.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Embassy Suites Philadelphia Airport. Rooms were clean and very spacious and the hot cooked to order breakfast was great in the morning. The pool area looked really nice too, though I didnt try out the pool. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the free airport shuttle was very convenient. My only issue with this hotel was that the walls are very thin - the person next to me was very loud on his phone for a couple hours at a time and I could literally understand word for word of his conversation. Otherwise, I enjoy the Embassy suites chain and would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us about your stay at the Embassy Suites Philadelphia Airport. I am pleased to hear that you felt our staff was friendly and helpful and that the hotel was clean and spacious with a great cooked to order breakfast. I am glad that you appreciated our proximity to the Airport and the value of our shuttle service.

Thank you again for your thoughtful feedback and for choosing the Embassy Suites Philadelphia Airport for your hospitality needs. We hope that you visit us again on your next trip!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philadelphia
Hampton Inn Philadelphia-International Airport
Sheraton Suites Philadelphia Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
aloft Philadelphia Airport
aloft Philadelphia Airport
#56 of 85 in Philadelphia
Fairfield Inn Philadelphia Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!