“great place to be at on a business test”

Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West
Ranked #66 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

great front desk very helpful
breakfast is very good
a good gym and a small pool to relax
many restaurants in the vicinity especially TGI Friday
100 meters from Target for you shopping

concierge will get you a taxi any hour to go to Pilli center

the bar in the hotel is cool with happy hour

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Itai L
CPCA4100, Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Itai L,
Thank you for commenting on your stay. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and that our staff was able to be of service. We will be sharing your kind comments with our team, and we hope you will be able to visit us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Right off the highway, the hotel is easily accessible and near restaurants and shopping. You definitely have to plan for Philly traffic if you're planning to head downtown - but with no traffic - 15 minutes tops to downtown. We were visiting colleges and the hotel is right down the street from SJU (and they have a discount rate for SJU visitors). The staff could not have been more friendly. The room was clean, quiet, well air conditioned. It could afford a little more lighting at the doorway/near the closet but it's stretching things to find something wrong. There is a shuttle service and a number of people congregate at the main door so it's not necessarily a perfect first impression. But the front desk staff to the bar staff to the housekeeping staff were simply first-rate. We are already booked to return! Free wifi and parking were nice amenities. Fitness room is a little smaller, but if you're a runner - head outside!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dons5

Dear DonS,
We always enjoy having our college visitors with us, and I am happy to hear that our staff was able to make your stay so pleasant. Our staff truly cares about each guest's experience. Thank you for letting us know about your stay, and we are excited that you will be coming back soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I couldn't ask for a more friendly helpful crew of employees here at the Crowne. Everyone was so helpful from one of us losing her c=glasses to food and drink service. Brilliant all. Funny, witty, and because I am not a drinker per se, the lovely woman with the raspberry hair helped me choose something that wa so delicious, I finished it way before everyone else and was embarrassed.I do forget the name but it had alot of strawberries, vodka, Orange liquor and was to live for.
The Tv's were another matter.
It took me a god 15 minutes to 30 minutes to just get the TV to TV and not Pay per View movies I had already seen. I would have loved to have an ESC button on there as my roommate was trying to sleep there was no where I could find close captioning so that I could bring it down real low.
After hours of being with old friends in the bar area, when we all left, it was time to wind down and fall asleep to the tv.
I finally somehow got to the tv and had to have it a bit louder than I would have liked as my roommate had left us earlier, having just finished chemotherapy.
I don't know if a hotel realizes how important a tv is at the end of a long day and close captioning and a sleep timer for older individuals like my friends and comrades.
That is all.
other than that, amenities were lovely: many towels (soft),great soaps and lotions, perfect mattress and pillows: not quite as great as the Hampton Inns but better than The Homewood Suite (the mattresses)..
All in all, I would recommend this hotel, because it has room service all day and night so if you are embarrassed t eat a large meal in front of a man, you can easily order something up and sneak in a bite.
Thank you for your wonderful staff in the bar and kitchen and front desk.
It also is situated within everything Philadelphia that s good and great.
Their food is surprisingly delicious also.

Room Tip: 536 was a perfectly quiet double room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
CPCA4100, Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest,
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that Trecia was able to make you a fabulous drink. She is a valued member of our team who will be recognized for her efforts. I would like to apologize for the difficulty you experienced with the television. We understand how important it is to have the television available to relax, and I have shared your comments with our Director of Engineering so he can review the programming on the sets. Should you have any needs during your stay our team is here 24 hours to assist. Thank you for taking the time to leave the comments, and we are looking forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I don't normally choose Cowne Plaza's as my choice of iHG properties since they are normally over priced and out dated. This property was in a great location so I have it a shot.

Thus hotel shares a parking lot with a TGI Fridays and is right next door to a Target and some other eateries. It is also VERY convenient to the major freeway that runs through central Philadelphia.

Upon check in I was greeted with a smile and a very friendly front desk staff.

My room had fresh linens and furnishing that gave the room an updated feel and look.

During my stay I encountered an issue with my sofa bed linen and Audrianna immediately addressed my needs. She went out of her way to offer compensation for the issue, which I declined, but I still woke up to a lovely note under my door from Audrianna expressing their apologies. I was Amazed by this great customer service.

Before writing this survey I had to call the hotel to get Audrianna's name, as I didn't have the letter on me at the time. I like to be precise when I write surveys and Megan at the front desk took the time to look up the day I stayed and get me Audrianna's name so that I could include her in my assessment. Another Amazinb customer service experience. I can't say enough how impressed I am by this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
CPCA4100, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. Our entire team makes our guest''s experience their top priority, and Audrianna and Megan are two valued staff members who will be recognized for their efforts. We appreciate your comments and are looking forward to having you back.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My room was on the so-called Executive Floor, which I had requested because other reviewers here suggested that anything below the fifth floor was often where high school and college athletic teams get assigned and you allegedly have kids running up and down all night. I don't know if that's true, but up on Eight, things were as quiet as they could be, which suited me to a T. My room was large, clean and well-maintained. Great location, also: half a block off of I-76. Ample free parking. Next to several popular chain restaurants and a Target. Everything worked -- almost. My only gripe is that the tv station guide said they offered Fox News, but of all the cable news channels, Fox -- mysteriously -- was the only one that was "not available." Doesn't hotel management know which is the most-viewed cable news channel? But, I quibble. Crowne Plaza -- at least on the eighth floor -- was a nice experience and I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Out team strives to make sure each guest has a clean and comfortable experience. I am sorry that your weren't able to get the Fox News network. This is a channel that our hotel offers, and we would have been happy to look into the situation to ensure you had all the proper programming. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed there after a concert at the Mann Amphitheater in Fairmount Park and was perfect. The rooms were clean and comfortable, beds comfortable, and within walking distance there's a TGI Fridays (basically in the parking lot), Target, Chipotle, PotBelly's, Joe's Crab Shack, Starbucks, banks, etc. I thought it was fantastic that when I had my "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door when they came by in the morning they left a bag with fresh towels, soap, and shampoos on my door for me. My only complaint about this hotel would be the shower was clogged.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
CPCA4100, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave comments about your stay. We always enjoy having the Mann Center visitors with us, and we hope you will get the chance to come back for another concert.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I chose to stay here as I've stayed at other Crowne Plazas and Intercontinentals, and so was familiar with the IHG standards. Upon arrival, I was quickly checked in by Kayla, who very sweetly informed me that I was in the Women's Section. As I was meeting a married couple, I told her that wasn't necessary, but she said it was fine, and handed me my key. I wasn't sure how I felt being "sequestered" in the Women's section, but decided to reserve judgment 'til I saw the space.

Upon entering the women's section (accessible only with room key cards of women staying in the section; an extra measure of security), I noticed three room service trays set on the floor outside of various rooms - I was leery when I realized that one of them was directly outside MY room. But, upon entering, I saw that my room was quite clean and tidy, and there were some cute perks (a mug full of Hershey's Kisses being one) that, I later found out, weren't in the "regular" rooms.

I settled in for my overnight stay and went down to meet my friends in the restaurant for a quick bite before we dressed and headed to our event. The food was VERY good, altho' service was rather slower than we'd hoped (despite telling the waitress that we were in a rush); we speculated that everything was prepared fresh, and so forgave the wait.

Upon finishing eating, we headed to the elevators to go to our respective rooms to change. After waiting a while, with rather a large crowd of guests, an elevator showed up, and people piled on (we were not in that group, as the elevator was packed tight). I asked the person at the desk if the other elevators weren't working and was told that two out of the three elevators were "temporarily out of service". Given that the hotel was at-capacity, it seems odd that they would allow TWO elevators to be out of service. This delayed us further, and we were all rushing by the time the elevator came and we parted company.

When I got back to the Women's section, I noticed that the trays were all still sitting in the hallway. As I was in a rush, I just went into my room and got ready and left; hoping they would be removed when I got back.

I arrived back at the hotel some time around 2.30am; upon entering the Women's Section, I saw that the trays were STILL sitting in the hallway. Given that checkout is at noon, one has to assume that those trays had been sitting out there for more than 12 hours. I immediately called down to the front desk to ask them to remove the one from in front of my door, and told them quite honestly that I was concerned about "critters". In their defense, they removed it immediately and quietly - when I checked it before bedding down for the night, it was gone.

The only other issue that I had was that, upon removing my shoes, I noticed the carpet was slightly damp - almost as tho' they'd shampooed it and it hadn't quite dried. Luckily, they supply slippers and a robe, so I was able to avoid any discomfort beyond that fleeting "whoa" moment. But I found that quite odd (especially after the tray fiasco - it made me wonder if something from that tray had been spilled on the floor...?).

I mentioned these issues to the young man at the front desk when I checked out the next morning (he'd already heard about the tray incident); at that point, there was nothing they could do to make amends, tho'.

On a positive note - I LOVE the concept of the Women's Section. It's so quiet, and the rooms really do have very nice "extras"; in addition to which, there's a table in the Women's corridor with snacks - chips, trail mix, fresh fruit, and fruit-infused water. While I never considered staying in a Women's Section in a hotel before, I now look forward to doing it again.

This hotel has potential to be on-par with other Crowne Plazas; the front desk staff are friendly and efficient (in fact, all the staff I encountered were very polite/friendly). It does, however, seem as tho' they might need to up their maintenance game.

Room Tip: The Women's Section is a great option.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Lorna H

Dear Lorna,
Thank you for taking the time to leave comments about your stay. We are happy that you enjoyed the upgrade to the women's section. We are continuously looking for those little extras to make our guests' stays special. I would like to apologize that two elevators were down during your stay. We are under contract to begin a complete elevator renovation shortly, and we are looking forward to providing that new product for our guests. I have shared your comments about the carpet with our Director of Housekeeping, and he will be looking into the situation. We do maintain a regular carpet shampooing schedule, and he will work with his staff to ensure these carpets are dry prior to releasing them. I am glad that you enjoyed the friendly service our staff provided. We strive to do everything we can do make sure our guests have a smooth and comfortable visit. We are looking forward to having you back with us.