“Really couldn't be happier. Only wish I could get to Philly more often.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown
Ranked #29 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
New York, New York, United States
“Really couldn't be happier. Only wish I could get to Philly more often.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Was heading out to Philly almost on a whim. My first day of visit would be a Saturday ( in late July) and leaving on Monday. I didn't even start looking for hotels until late Friday night, so there were a lot of hotels that were already fully booked.
My particular needs were a sub $200 a night price ( including parking ) a pool, free breakfast and something within walking distance to the historic district.

I could not have been happier with this hotel. As this trip was my wife, our daughter and myself a very small room would have been a little trying. ( and yes, some of the other hotels have some tiny rooms ).
The reviews I read were all pretty positive and it lived up to everything that I expected based on these reviews.
The parking is run by a separate company, but you will find no more convenient of a location in relation to a hotel than this.. The entrance to the lot is right next door and the hotel desk is accessible by either of the streets or directly from the parking garage. They have a few spaces inside the parking garage reserved for you to park while you check in. The daily rate through the hotel desk is $25 with in and out privileges.
For me, this was well worth it, not all parking in the city is adjacent to the hotel.
I would guess that the parking lot was at some point owned by the same company as the hotel as the lot itself takes up the space where floors 2-5 would be in the hotel.
This hotel is 19 floors ( it calls the top floor 20, but as with many older buildings there is no floor 13. ).
We were fortunate enough to get floor 20 and the view is terrific, if not a little scary at first to someone not fond of heights.
The pool is outdoors on what I think is the 7th floor, we could see it directly below our window and it was clean and had a lifeguard, though officially the signs say there isn't one. I don't know what their ongoing rule is regarding this, but it was nice to have one there.
The check in was very quick, there was only one person checking in ahead of us when we arrived but even with them finishing up, we had our room keys and were on our way up to the room inside of 4 minutes...
The room appeared to have been recently renovated. The furniture was all in very good shape and comfortable. There is a USB charging port built into desk as well as standard outlets in all the expected places.
The pictures on the walls were all photos of local landmarks. Which is a nice touch,
The wifi worked but seemed to cut out for a little while here and there but that may very well be our only complaint about the place.
I don't know if there were guests in the neighboring rooms but if there were, we couldn't tell.
We generally don't want staff in our rooms while we are visiting but housekeeping did ask us which room we were in and upon noting it was one of the rooms that had the do not disturb tag on the door, she asked us if there was anything we wanted for the room. We took an extra towel and that was it. I've never had housekeeping say no to any request for extra towels, shampoo or anything like that... but this was actually the first time it was housekeeping that initiated it by asking me as I passed in the hall.

Our room had a coffee maker, microwave and mini fridge. It did not have a safe which would have been nice... ( or at least I didn't notice it ).

The breakfast was good... a very nice selection, cereals, oatmeal, bagels, pancakes ( though the machine kept clogging and while the staff did their best to fix it, it really seems like a poor design and ties them up fixing it constantly ), coffee, juice, thomas' english muffins, eggs, fruit ( not all that ripe but again seemingly a trivial issue considering the amount of available food ) bacon.... all in all, a really nice breakfast. I've certainly paid for a lot less.
The two people staffing the breakfast were exceptional... They are the kind of people I would hire if I were in a position to do so.

The neighborhood has plenty of local food choices within walking distance. Actually just about everything is within walking distance. We walked as far west as the Mutter museum which was just under 20 minutes, as far south as South street where we ate at Rex 1615 which is a terrific little restaurant on South Street between 15th and 16th and we walked east as far as the river..
All of the historic areas are well within walking distance, as are banks, stores and many museums.

Quite simply, if I hear anyone going to Philly I will recommend this hotel to them.

In fact, I was so impressed with the hotel I had to find a hotel for Tuesday night between Philly and our next destination and I chose another Holiday Inn Express because of how happy we were with our stay here.

Room Tip: If you aren't afraid of heights, ask for upper floors... The view isn't perfect ( there is a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Troy P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Traveler comments about the staff are not exaggerated. We were in for a convention and everyone associated with the hotel went above and beyond for us. Anything we asked for was provided promptly and with a smile. We stayed in a renovated room that was immaculate and well equipped with a larger than normal refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. Neighborhood has numerous quality, affordable restaurants and shops. Only downside was the parking garage on the last day. Gestapo attendant would not let our cab leave until we paid additional money to get out(!) This was totally unacceptable and soured us on what was a more than pleasant experience with the hotel. Since we were on our way to the airport, we had to pay for this 'shakedown'. If you use the parking garage, BEWARE! Otherwise we highly recommend this hotel and its marvelous employees.

Room Tip: Upper floors have beautiful city views.
1 Thank Leslie242014
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for letting us know how much the staff and the hotel lived up to your expectations while you were at the Holiday Inn Express Midtown. We do think they are terrific as well! Your comments about the experience in the garage will be shared with Patriot Parking 's management. Again, thank you for letting us know about your stay.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I am winding down a 7-day stay at this property. As I told the General manager during a brief conversation the other day, if and when my work brings me back to the Center City area of Philly, this hotel will, once again, be my only hotel of choice.

First, I want to mention that, after I had made my 7-day reservation online, I called the hotel front desk to inform them that I would be arriving in Center City at about 1 PM, and asked if it would be possible for me to procure an early check-in (I also offered to pay any early check-in fee, if necessary). They assured me that an early check-in of around 1 PM would not be a problem at all, and assured me that no extra fee would be involved.

Sure enough, I arrived at the property at about 12:45 PM on a Thursday afternoon last week, and the helpful front desk staff was able to check me in immediately, and speedily.

I stayed in a room on the 14th floor, in one of the so-called "older" rooms, that is, one of the rooms that has not yet been renovated. Frankly, speaking for myself, I found the "Basic" room (that is what they call it; apparently they consider it to be one of their less fancy rooms) that I was assigned on the 14th floor to be beautiful, and very spacious; it was more than adequate in every way. And best of all, it came equipped with a coffeemaker (I do not drink coffee myself, but I mention this for the benefit of coffee drinkers), a mid-size (i.e., not small!) refrigerator/freezer, and a microwave oven.

If I had to spend 6 months in Philly due to my work, I could easily spend those full 6 months living out of this room; it is very comfortable, well-appointed, and has every amenity I could think of asking for, plus some amazing large windows that give me a beautiful view of the city skyline to the south.

Personally, I have no idea why the hotel is bothering to renovate all of their rooms, as I find my currently-assigned "older" room to be more than suitable in every way. On the other hand, I do hear, from both guests and staff, that the newly-renovated rooms are very beautiful.

I did hit one significant problem during the first one and-a-half days of my stay, and I want to mention it, and its handling, explicitly, because the tale illustrates how well senior management at this property addresses major problems. Here is what happened:

During the entire first day and evening of my stay, I noticed that the hotel's Internet WiFi connection was abysmally slow, often so slow that it was totally unusable; this is despite the fact that the WiFi signal itself, as received by my laptop, was very strong. Although I am usually a very easy-to-please hotel guest during my many stays in hotels across the country, and I rarely, if ever, find a need to call the front desk with complaints at hotels at which I stay, this Internet problem was very significant, and I ended up calling the front desk about the problem several times about the problem during the first afternoon of my stay.

I have a strong background in electronics engineering and IS/IT/networking issues, and I was able to quickly determine, from the answers given to me by the front desk manager and by the low-level tech employees at the hotel's Internet provider, that while the hotel was paying their Internet provider for a very wide bandwidth Internet connection (one that should, technically, have been sufficient for a hotel with 300+ rooms, while this hotel has only 168 rooms, and was only 60% full at the time), it was painfully obvious that the Internet provider (ISP) was NOT providing the Internet bandwidth that the hotel was paying for. Worse, I learned from all parties involved that the hotel management had been wrangling with their ISP for many weeks about this exact problem of far-too-low effective bandwidth, and was even considering litigation.

After I had been at the hotel for about 24 hours, since the front desk staffers and the low-level techs at the ISP were not able to help me with the ongoing Internet access problem, I asked the front desk staff to connect me with the General Manager. Jo Ann called me on my hotel room phone in short order, and we discussed the problem; she agreed that it was finally time for her to do whatever was necessary to force the ISP to fully address the Internet connectivity problem once and for all. As a result of this discussion and the pressure that the GM applied to the ISP, the ISP had one or more tech on-site at the hotel property pretty much all evening and all night on Friday, and they apparently finally localized most of the problem to a faulty router, which they either bypassed or replaced.

The net result for me was that starting at around 5 AM on Saturday morning (I am an early riser; I tend to get up around 2 AM), or about 40 hours after I had first checked in, the speed of my Internet connectivity via the hotel's WiFi connection suddenly rose from unacceptable to what I will call "blindingly fast", and the Internet WiFi connectivity has remained, across the 4+ days since that time, at very acceptable bandwidth/speed levels. So, the hotel management was finally able to force their ISP to fix the rather glaring pre-existing problem with Internet connectivity! I am very impressed! And, I was very impressed with the persistence of Jo Ann, the GM, in getting this problem finally fixed!

If and when I return to Philly for my work, I will definitely choose only this hotel once again!

I would like to extend my thanks to all the staffers at the hotel for a very pleasant prolonged stay, and particularly, the front desk staff and the housekeeping staff, who were uniformly pleasant and helpful. And as for Jo Ann, the General Manager, she is a hero in my eyes for finally forcing the hotel's Internet service provider (ISP) to fix a major problem!

2 Thank Vinny067
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
What a wonderful tribute to our people and our hotel. Thank you for noticing that the staff from the intern to the general manager work hard for our guests, and yes it is thrilling to have gotten to the bottom of the internet issue and have it more functional for our guests. We hope to see you back with us soon! THANKS!!
Guwahati, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed for two weeks (14 nights) in this hotel. The best part was the personalized service. It is a no frills hotel, but the team did everything possible to meet the requirements of the guests with a smile.

The location of the hotel is a big plus. It was very close to the, places of tourist interests, subway, shopping area, green park, clubs, restaurants, etc. It was a very lively place.

The room air conditioner, tv, bathroom fixtures (warm water with pressure) and room service was impeccable. Free Wi-Fi was an added advantage, but services were down sometime. However, the team was really nice. The front desk including tiffany and other team members were always smiling. As a suggestion, free bottled water - atleast 500 ml. (1 per person/night) can be kept in the rooms.

The morning breakfast was decent and the team was pleasant. Betty in particular was very warm and I also treated her with Indian masala team, which she warmly acknowledged. The area they can work on was include few bakery items which are suitable for vegetarians (no eggs) and vegans. Items with animal content can be marked with red dot, as is the case in India, which will be easy to identify.

Room Tip: Room facing the main road. We stayed on 9th and 10th floor and the rooms were generally good.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ruchini
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments and also your suggestions. It is good to hear that you so enjoyed your stay and we will share your comments with the employees so they know how much of a difference they made to you. Thank you!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I just stayed here and has a wonderful experience. The staff is friendly and helpful and the room was beautiful. They are currently remodeling the place and it truly is a gorgeous refresh. The location is top notch and the free breakfast was delicious and plentiful. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank LauraQ427
We can't wait to have you back with us! Thank you for your wonderful comments and we are happy to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed yourself!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

It's was a great hotel in the center of all the gay bars. The staff is really nice and helpful. The rooms are clean. The pool was ok but it was May. I would recommend it. And I would stay if I went back to philly.

• Stayed May 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
It would be great to see you back again and having a good time, and on those really hot days the pool will be wonderful!
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I went to Philly for 4 days on a business trip. We booked a room here because it was close to where we had our conference. It has a great location-right in the "Gayborhood." If you have an issue with alternative lifestyles, this neighborhood probably isn't for you. We loved that part of it though-the surrounding area was very fun and high energy. Right across from this hotel (imo, it's the hotel's best feature) is a bar called TIME that is amazing. Definitely check that out, if you choose to stay here. There are TONS of restaurants, theaters and shopping within walking distance, as well as many historical sites. I thought the location was excellent.

What I didn't like about the hotel was that it was LOUD. You hear sirens, traffic, trucks, everything. Don't plan on sleeping in. Also, the hotel is under renovation and the floor about us was being worked on while we were there. 8 am every morning was vibrations, noise, and general annoyance. Nothing you can't handle, but when you're paying for a quiet comfortable place to sleep, it's not ideal.

The room wasn't well cared for. The bathroom was very small and our room wasn't properly cleaned everyday. My husband spilled chips on the floor our first night there and they were never vacuumed up. Also the inside of the windows were never cleaned. However, we had an AMAZING view of the city from our dirty window. I found the bed to be very uncomfortable and woke up with a backache every morning, but I'm sure some people find it comfy. Also, the pillows are SUPER soft, so if you like a firmer pillow, bring it with you.

My biggest complaint is the pool. The pool is outside on the roof of the 7th floor. It is small, but well cared for. However, the day I was relaxing at the pool, they were having the outside of the windows cleaned. Ropes were flung off the 20th floor landing right next to me. It could have been an issue if they had hit me, but they didn't so no big deal. While I was laying there I started to get misted with windex that was falling from the window washers. Yuck! None of that was relaxing at all.

Service was decent. Check in was very slow, and when I requested a late checkout, it was a hassle. I had to come down to the front desk and fill out forms and then they granted the request. They did give me a gift bag with bottled water and snacks though, so that's nice. I mentioned some of these issues to the manager and she was very accommodating.

Parking was awful. Parking is awful everywhere in downtown Philly. But for what we paid for the hotel, I feel that parking should be included with our stay. It was $25/day for parking. That is cheaper than most of the other hotels nearby. The garage is terrible though. It's not valet, but they make you park your cars in there bumper to bumper, so getting in and out is a huge hassle.

Overall, individually nothing was a huge deal, but all these little things added up made our stay not so great. Location was fantastic, everything else, below average.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have great views of the city.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tara D
Thank you for your candid comments and for working with management during your stay and allowing us to assist you. Your comments will be reviewed with the staff, and again, thank you.