“Great hotel, not keen on the parking garage”

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown
Ranked #28 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Great hotel in a perfect location for exploring Philadelphia. Plenty of bars and restaurants close by as well as the theatre district.

All the staff we encountered were friendly and chatty, real assets to the hotel. Breakfast was busy but replenished quickly, I even noticed the lady working in the breakfast room giving guests tips about the city, even getting one a map. This was excellent!

The issue I had with the stay was the parking garage. I echo the previous reviews. It's not obvious what to do with your car and keys, I drove up to the top then was sent back down again, ended up leaving the car in the middle of a row and going to find an attendant. They're not friendly at all! You leave your keys and they park (and move) your car during your stay. The hotel doesn't own the garage but I would suggest they work with the garage management to improve the experience for guests, I would choose a different hotel in Philadelphia in future to avoid the garage unless reviews improve.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie J
HIEXmidtown, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

It's wonderful to hear such great things about the staff at the hotel, and they really do enjoy being helpful to our guests. Thank you for both your comments and suggestions about the parking garage, and we do hope to have the chance to host you again when you are in our area. Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We were looking for a hotel to spend the night with my family during our weekend visit to Philadelphia. Found it on the Internet and was finally able to book through the phone. Fee was $244 + parking ($25) including breakfast. Hotel cleanliness was one of the worst I have seen in a long time, and I travel 50% of my time for business. Room carpet was stained and dirty. Soundproofing was literally non-existing. At 5 am we were woken up by a child running in the upper floor, and at 6 am we heard our neighbours talking as if they were inside our room. External noise was also audible. TV channel list is too short, even for an overnight stay.
We tried to connect to the internet but only succeeded for short periods of time, and at a very slow speed.
Hotel is conveniently located near attractions and touristic spots, breakfast was great including pancakes and bacon among many other options. Staff was friendly and helpful.
For this price we should have stayed elsewhere and with better comfort.

Room Tip: The best tip is to try other similar hotels in the area before this one.
2  Thank Juan Z
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

We are sorry to hear that the hotel did not live up to all your expectations, and we will review your comments with our department managers. We are currently in the process of renovating our guest rooms to better service our guest needs. Thank you for letting us know about your stay.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

It is my first time to stay in this hotel , but and of course will back again and again . I stayed for 12 nights in the 20's . The view is great from up there , room is very clean brand new and housekeeping hosts are very helpful and so clean . Front desk staff and breakfast staff are always at your service and around all guests if any one needs help . I strongly recommend to stay in this hotel when you visit Philadelphia . You will find fair prices , warm welcoming , clean rooms and wonderful service . For me , I will come back again and always to stay in this hotel when I visit Philly within the near future . Actually , I tried another hotel ( without names) in June , it was not that much good , but, anyhow I said thank you to them . Again , this hotel in this location is amazing in every thing . My special thanks to a great and a wonderful Front desk manager ( Aubrey Allen ) ,a Front desk staff ( Teri Smith) and a Breakfast staff ( Cathrin ) . All of them are professionals ,helpful and always will give positive actions and attitude . Thanks as well for all other staff who I met , but ,sorry I do not have all of their names . Well done and great job that you did . See you again soon .

Room Tip: Kindly read my previous feedback and comments .
2  Thank Hisham D
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Wonderful hospitality, fair prices , warm welcome, clean rooms and wonderful service. We could not ask for higher praise from a guest, other than to hear that they will be coming back to stay with use when they are in the area. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express Midtown. Thank you!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

WOW!! What a great team of hospitality professionals. It takes a lot to impress me but they really exceeded my expectations. My partner was going to be at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital for several days. They offer a special hospital rate and will do whatever they can to accommodate your schedule. During this stressful situation Ms.Aubrey Allen, the Front Desk Manager went out of her way to accommodate my needs. She was able to finagle a few extra days at the hospital rate and offered a late check out. The breakfast hostess who I have seen of other trips remembered me. The rooms have been recently renovated and they look absolutely fantastic! The hotel is located in a GREAT location with a plethora of great restaurants to select from. Jo Ann the GM has been at the helm for many years and she really has a wonderful team!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Wow!! Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. We do have a great group of people working with us at the Holiday Inn Express Midtown, and they will be thrilled to hear that they had such a great impact on your stay. We will let everyone know how much their help meant to you during your stay.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

My wife and I stayed there for 2 nights along with the rest of our bus tour group from Indiana. The staff was friendly, the rooms were very nice, and the beds were comfortable. What topped it off though was the hot breakfast. While it wasn't a 'make to order'' type of breakfast, they did offer a very nice selection of both hot and cold selections. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Maybe the best thing was that I could say things like "I may not know everything about Philly, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Room Tip: You will wake up refreshed!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Excellent, excellent! Love to hear that! We are glad that you enjoyed your tour through Philly and most especially your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Midtown! Thank you!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in September. The hotel has a great location with lots of restaurants and near the landmarks. The room was a nice, standard mid-range room, not a lot of bells and whistles, but nice. The breakfast in the morning was a nice touch, especially the cinnamon rolls.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and your stay with us. Those cinnamon rolls are a signature item, and people do really enjoy them. Thank you for letting us know.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I went on a road-trip starting in Washington D.C. and going north towards NYC. Our first stop was in Philadelphia to visit the Reading Terminal Market and Liberty Bell. This hotel's staff is incredible. We came an hour early before check-in, but they prepared our room in 20 minutes, it was great! They even apologized for making us wait and gave us a bag with water/food even though it was us who came too early. The promptly provided us with a roll-away bed when we asked as well. The room/bathroom was clean the the view was great for a city. The breakfast is absolutely amazing for a budget hotel. There were plenty of chairs and tables so waiting was never an issue. As a family, there is no better hotel in this area. The distances to Reading Terminal Market and the Liberty Bell are no more than 10 minutes and absolutely walk able. The location was not noisy at all, clean, and respectable. My only complaint was probably the parking, but then again that is to be expected of a city hotel. I have stayed at much more expensive hotels for business in Philadelphia before, but rest assured, I will book here again if I plan to visit!!! I cannot recommend this hotel enough!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
HIEXmidtown, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

We can't wait to have you back with us again! Incredible, WOW, that is quite an achievement and the staff will be thrilled to hear about your comments about them and our hotel. We work hard to make things right for the guests and it is great to hear it is working. Thank you!!