“nice hotel, bad parking”

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown
Ranked #27 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 13 January 2007

We just stayed at this hotel last week. We were in the city and decided to stay last minute and the front desk people were able to accomondate us which was great. I was even able to get a cheaper price because we checked in after 8 PM. For such short notice the room was really nice. The breakfast was great too! The only thing that I did not like was the parking that was connected to the hotel. The ticket that you use to exit the parking lot would not work and the attendant on duty accused me of not paying. When I proved that the ticket was paid for he threw it at me. You have to pay for parking seperatly so park somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rhanni

Reviewed 27 December 2006

An excellent value in a central location. Certainly the wise choice for a business trip to Philadelphia, and a good choice for a family looking for value. Very good breakfast choices for a continental breakfast, large rooms with good work area, and convenient to all downtown sites.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank LFA
Reviewed 8 November 2006

In terms of location it's great. You are a few blocks from the most attractive places in Philly: Liberty bell, City Hall, Museum of art etc...You can walk almost evrywhere in downtown Philadelphia.
HOWEVER, the hotel doesen't deserve the name Holiday Inn for many reasons:
1) I booked this hotel 3 weeks before my stay and they already charged my credit card (the whole amount). Therefore I basically had to pay the hotel 20 days before my arrival!!!

2) When I arrived they wanted to charge me $10 dollars more from the amount that I paid. I had to show them my printed copy of the receipt in order to clear it out.

3) The hotel people (especially those in reception are very unfriendly and rude). You will notice that from the first moment you will arrive.

And one good thing: The breakfast is free and taste good. Don't expect to see of cource any sausage or bacon...

CONCLUSION: If you plan to go to Philadelphia for having good time re-think again if this hotel is good for you. Especially if you plan to spend time inside the hotel (rooms are old and smelly).

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
7  Thank grevo77
Reviewed 23 October 2006

Our three night stay was very comfortable and quiet, considering the midtown location. Easy walking distance to all historical sites and many excellent restaurants. Buffet breakfast well-rounded with omelets, fruit, cereal and those famous cinnamon rolls. Great value for the money. Staff was very friendly and professional. Took care of minor room repairs immediately.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank twelveoaks12
Reviewed 19 October 2006

Unfortunately I only really spent a night at the hotel so didn't have much time to explore the immediate area, but knowing Philly I can say that the location is close to everything.
What really sets this HI Express apart is the value you get. I paid $115/night to stay in downtown Philly at a more than adequate hotel, that's a great deal in my book.
The free breakfast was outstanding; it's something a Courtyard would charge at least $5.95 for. The $21/day to park is reasonable considering it is downtown and you do get a key card that gives you in and out privileges all day.
It looks like they are remodeling the interior hallways and that is good because the halls and rooms are a little dated, but all in all, a great deal.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank FightOn
Reviewed 13 October 2006

My husband and I paid for our room in advance since 5/31/06..We get to the hotel and we can't get a room. The front desk staff seem non-caring and did not go out of their way to reassure us. No king rooms smoking are clean, can you believe this. We ask to speak to a supervisor she had major attitude we hear her yelling and then she flounced out the side door on her merry way never even addressing the issue. So the 3:00 supervisor picks up the slack and after much discussions and promises we get our room. The room is lovely quite spacious and the 20th flr view is great. So on the 2nd day the key card does not work, the cleaning lady lets us in. We are not going back out and were leaving the next day so we did not go back down. Then after breakfast on check-out day the fire alarms go off, what a mess for the guests still in their rooms. I am so glad we were out of there and downstairs..Holiday Inn Express, Midtown Philadelphia, Nice rooms, bad staff attitude,too many problems..NEVER AGAIN..I'll stay in the Rittenhouse where they know how to treat a customer

• Stayed: October 2006
4  Thank goods
Reviewed 5 October 2006

We stayed at this hotel through a terrific rate with AAA. We thought the hotel was very nice for the rate that we paid. The room was neat and clean. We did notice a strange odor when we left the elevator but it did not bother us. The breakfast was wonderful and there was plenty of food available when we went down at 9:00 am. The location is terrific - we walked to the Rittenhouse area as well as the Washington Square Area within minutes. We will definitely stay here again.

We checked in early around 2 pm and our room was ready and the staff were very friendly and accommodating.

Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple