“Great Everything” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Everything”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

We came here over Memorial Day weekend, Saturday to Sunday, and had a great time. We arrived Saturday morning early, and went and drove around Philly a little while. We came back to the hotel, because our son wasn't feeling well at around noon, and they got the room ready quickly. Being Hyatt Diamond, we used a suite upgrade certificate, which was awesome. We had the Society Hill Suite, rooms 2118 and 2119, which overlooked the city. The rooms were huge. We had a bedroom with a king bed, large TV, fridge, coffee maker, computer, desk, chair, closet, and bathroom. The living room was the one shown on their virtual tour, a large sectional, two chairs, plants, tables, bureau, large TV, balcony, set of drawers, and wet bar area with a full fridge/freezer, coffee maker, microwave, wine fridge, and cabinets. The rollaway bed, which was actually comfy, arrived promptly, as did our requested robes and slippers. The two bathrooms were nice, large, and clean, with cool shower heads. Being a Diamond member, usually you have a choice of extra points or a welcome amenity, but since my son wasn't feeling well and the room wasn't quite ready, they front desk man gave us both. The amenity was very good, wine, cheese, crackers, and fruit. The pool looked nice, but we didn't go in. All the staff we encountered were very nice and helpful. Parking wasn't too bad, unlike others have said. The location on Penn's Landing was very nice, short walk to the Old City. Our free breakfast was quite good. Even without being Diamond, the AAA Breakfast rate @ $152 would be a very good deal. If you belong to Costco, you can go there and buy certificates, $100 worth for $80, but only buy less than you plan on using, you don't get the rest back. One last thing, sleep quality I gave a four because our son came into the bedroom around 1:50 AM and told us about a loud party, we called down and it was quickly taken care of. Thank you Hyatt Regency Philadelphia at Penn's Landing.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank HeyLetsTravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Korean first
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

We booked on Priceline for $70 a night, spent 2 nights over the weekend. Ashley, I think I have her name right, was great, she got us a corner room with a city view and some water view, and a King with a roll away as well. The roll away was for my 17 yr. old son, and when I woke up the next morning he had barely slept. This ruined our day with him as he stayed at the hotel in the afternoon and slept. The second roll away was better but still not good. The bed supports seem to be broken on them and they sag in the middle badly. The room was nice except for a stain on the floor and the TV and Fridge not working. Called front desk, and within 5 minutes the TV was fixed and a replacement fridge was on its way up. If you are driving here the Hotel shares its parking garage with Avis? and if you just go past the Hotel entrance and turn in it will save some money on Valet charges. You won't have to pay to get out of the deck while staying there, just tell the attendant you are returning and they won't charge you. The location is right beside the Seaport museum, which is closed until May. Its not exactly close to the historic part of the city, but its not bad at about 6 blocks. It is near a lot of good restaurants and nightlife. If I had to do it over I would stay nearer to the historic area or the Philadelphia museum of Art.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank summersthree
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2010

This was an "upgrade" on our trip with our teens to see the sites in DC, philly, etc. Used hyatt certificates which usually give you a really good room. From the outside the hotel is impressive, an art deco feel, on the water, close to historic area.

We arrived and parked which was an experience in itself. They obviously are geared to business folks with no cars as the parking is a considerable shlep from the hotel (especially after a long drive and a weeks worth of bags for teens). You have to change elevators and its just a hassle.

Lobby is lovely looking - then we went to check in. We asked for 2 rooms close or together. The person helping (which is really not the right word) just seems confused and overwhelmed to try to find 2 rooms actually on the same floor. The process took approximately 30 minutes (having stayed a number of times at hyatt, this is about 29 minutes more than normal, especially as 2 women with priceline reservations checked in within about 2 minutes and probably paid half what we did).

this person was now writing down by hand numbers of hotel rooms and then couldnt figure out how to check us in (she of course blamed the computers). Finally we were given rooms on the 6th floor. (the priceline gals got the 10th floor - it has 21 floors). We got all 6 of our bags up there and were shocked that one room smelled badly of smoke and the key to the other didnt work. I called down and was not happy.

We then got another girl (blonde with glasses) who seemed to genuinely know what she was doing. We immediately got two rooms next to each other on the 21st floor.

The view from the 21st floor was very good. The room was your basic dark wood modern-ish hotel room. The bathrooms while spacious, have weird double doors - you can see through them so if travelling with folks you arent related to, get two rooms.

Parking is $20/day, wifi is $10/day. I still cant figure out why hotels have to charge for this wifi service in this day and age.

My personal opinion is if you are travelling and want a upscale chain, this is pretty much your only choice in philly that has a view. So are they good? Well, they have the corner on the market with the view issue, so I think they have decided that the rest is not important.

Did not try the restaurant (we love the Reading market - would definately recommend).

Also I want to comment Lawrence the bellman, the best employee in my opinion. The concierge was "unavailable" and when we saw him had that "I could care less" look about him. So we asked Lawrence where to get a great authentic cheese steak. He recommended Jim's on South street which we loved and went back to twice. Suggest you make Lawrence the concierge.

After lots of travel all over to name brand hotels, this one just gets an okay for me overall with a great rating for the view/location. Which is only reason I am recommending.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
castaic, ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2010

I arrived with my family and stayed for four days. The first night, I was in the south west corner of the building where you hear all of the traffic taking off from the intersection below. This same night, I was below very inconsiderate guests that were loud and made noise into the wee hours. I spoke to the very accommodating front desk staff who moved us the next morning. We left our luggage at the front desk and when we returned from our day at Gettysburg, they had moved us and our luggage into a quiet room facing the Delaware river. Parking is expensive, so we rented a car for a day at the onsite Avis. All of the sites were walking distance from the hotel. The hotel concierge was very knowledgeable and gave us lots of info. on sites, shops and dining in the area. A great location .

nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

I booked this hotel last mintue over the phone, not knowing, and not made aware that I was speaking with a booking agent and not a member of the Hyatt Hotel in Penns Landing. Was not informed that there were 2 wedding going on, $25 for overnight parking, $9.95 for WiFi, and additional taxes. Upon arrival we found the front staff to be short and they never once smiled. Beautiful clean hotel, but asked questions before booking.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

I don't know what my company paid for the room. I doubt I would pay advertised prices for this hotel. I know other places I was looking at near the convention center were booked. We had a shuttle to the convention center (which was a 30 minute walk past the historic center of town) so it was fine for us. The hotel sits between the river and a major roadway however there are bridges with pedestrian walkways that let you easily cross over. The room was comfortably sized and very clean with upscale furnishings but will probably need some refurbishing in another year or two. It's beginning to show slight signs of wear. Definitely nothing that would prevent me from staying here again though.The parking garage is attached to the hotel and felt safe. The morning views on the river were very nice. There are some other restaurants and hotels in the area as well as a seaport museum. Had fantasic scallops with asparagus risotto and amazing potato corn chowder soup. The crab cakes however were just average.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

I have stayed here on business and most recently on pleasure with the family and it is superb for both.

The location is ideal, as it is within a short walk to the historic sites and to the Old Town area (which has many restaurants, bars and shops). The hotel is well maintained, rooms are very comfortable and the views of the river and city are stunning.

I travel to Philly often and this is one of my favorite hotels.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family