“Park, sleep, fly.....”

Ranked #59 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, United States
“Park, sleep, fly.....”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I should start by saying that the entire hotel is surrounded by swamplands so getting in and out can be confusing. Front desk staff is not helpful or friendly,the restaurant was closed and when we asked who could or would deliver they were not very informative, a passer by guest told us we could get food at the bar and so we did, it was average at best however the barmaid ( I forget her name was very personable and fun) .I feel like I got very little from the Renaissance Hotel for how much I paid. I was disappointed that they charge for Wifi and the room was expensive.We had a very early flight and read that there would be coffee in the lobby and there was no such thing...very disappointing to my husband. The service to and from the Airport was good.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Slingerlands, New York
Reviewed 21 March 2012 via mobile

I normally stay at the Airport Marriott, however for various reasons I stayed at the Renaissance for the first time. Yes, it is in the middle of nowhere, but it is an airport hotel. I did not find any of the age and wear and tear as did the other reviewers. I was greeted very warmly, arrival gift was not an issue, and given a lovely suite (220) which had slightly worn carpet, but looked fresh and was very clean. I did not find magazines, nor anything else in the bed which did not belong there. The wireless internet was quick, quicker than many properties at which I have stayed. No, I don't think you are going to choose this hotel if you are here for the Liberty Bell, but for a quick stop and to be close to the airport it is great. The Airport Marriott still beats it though as it is IN the airport!

Stayed March 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 8 March 2012

When you stay at a Renaissance property you expect more, but no. Outdated and below average rooms. Internet never would log on and the front desk said it was working. I tried three different devices and none of them would log on, had to go to the lobby to complete my work. Bathrooms need to be fixed, clogged drains and towels that belong in a gym. NOTHING near the hotel, you must have some sort of transportation. Staff is very friendly but way under staffed. Hotel vans belong in a junk yard, not the way to make a first impression. Look else where unles you must stay close to the airport.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank pb4y
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 6 March 2012

What a tired property. Outdated and depressing. Half the parking lot was blocked off leading to a 100 yard walk in 18 degree weather to get to the lobby entrance. Wall paper peeling in foyer near ballroom, depressing lobby bar and poor excuse for a fitness center. High point was being upgraded to a suite due to original room given was already occupied. Nothing quite like walking into a room containing a half naked octogenarian....I am a Marriott Platinum Premier member and this is the worse property I have seen in a LONG time. Pay the extra and stay at the Marriott at the airport, I know I will.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Oncman
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Overall the staff are great people.... BUT, they don't have much to work with! The place is really old looking , tired, and terribly outdated. (It's scheduled for a renovation in late 2012, but until then,,,, ugh.)

So, unless you have to absolutely stay near the airport ( a 5-min shuttlevan ride but 2 of the 3 vans are falling apart- rips in seats, the rattle, door handles falling off) AVOID THIS PLACE!

I've stayed at "The Ren" almost every week and in at least 20 different rooms, since the summer of 2011 and the carpets are dirty, seams are coming up, bathroom sinks are often clogged, fans in the bathrooms are LOUD, the 5-year old menu's at both restaurants are exactly the same- heavy on the burgers, french fries, pasta, 1 or 2 steak or seafood choices and average quality- at best.

The beds ARE comfy, I'll give them that, but the towels are like from a high-school gym locker room- rough, and smell like chemicals. the TVs are a joke! Old, tube-types, poor reception and small.

There is also NOTHING to do, around The Ren - no shopping, no stores, no entertainment, no food- NOTHING within walking distance but a swamp.. really.

Final insult- they have the NERVE to charge you for internet access!!! $12.95 PER DAY like it's the 1990s!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
chicago illinois
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I stayed overnight in February for business. I am very familiar with the Renaissance brand and a Marriott platinum member. This property was disappointing and a little off from what I usually expect from a Renaissance. First, I had to call twice, with an over 20 minute wait, for the hotel shuttle - late at night. I watched numerous hotel and rental car buses go by more than once. On the second call - after I was getting creeped out waiting out in the pick up area, almost alone, the phone rang (literally) over 25 rings before anyone answered. I had the same non answering experience the following morning when I had attempted to call the front desk to ask a question. Only this time - no one answered - twice in a row. I gave up. Other odd missteps - the hotels magazine was actually under the sheets and mattress pad on my bed, when I got in I heard a crumpled sound and wondered what in the world, only to find the magazine stuck under there - odd. The shuttle driver, I was convinced, was not even a Renaissance employee. I was picked up in a white cab truck with the renaissance logo DUCT Taped onto the side of it. He had 2 girls sitting up front with him. The driver had a white box with oranges, apples and waters in it - odd and began babbling on about how he would be "our driver" if I wanted to go to a bar or convenient store. I just wanted him to shut up. Then on arrival, he planted himself right next to me at the check in counter and stared at me until I forked over the obligatory tip - I asked the clerk to cash my 20 - and he handed me 1 10 and 2 5's. Annoying, as I had no intention of tipping this much for an over 20 minute late overly solicitous ride, with 2 girlfriends in the front seat and super weirdness in terms of the offers for transportation. Mind you, I am no newby - and this just smelled odd - and as a female traveling alone - which I frequently do all over the country, I did not appreciate the presumptive nature of the experience. The staff overall were friendly, but I did not receive my platinum food gift - I realize it was late at night - but why offer it then? The room was clean, but the bed not as comfortable as the usual Renaissance bed - even after I removed the magazine. No flat screen tv - very old school box style and small. Bathroom ok - shower curtain (which I hate - but a girl cant expect everything - can she?). Concierge lounge was fine - I had no complaints there. I will say the shuttle service the next morning was exactly what I would have expected - polite, on time and friendly. Overall, this hotel needs some work. Its just not what I expected and thats the very reason I frequently stay in Marriott hotels - because I know what to expect.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Very clean and nice hotel, friendly staff, excellent concierge, need more space for parking, which probably impossible due to the wetland.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business