“Beware.. hotel isn't historic; it's a flophouse”
Review of Society Hill Hotel

Society Hill Hotel
Ranked #76 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Chicago, Illinois
“Beware.. hotel isn't historic; it's a flophouse”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I booked this place online, as had a short notice business trip, and other hotels in area already booked. The photos, name, and neighborhood area led me to believe that this was one of those bed-n-breakfast, restored, historic hotels. It certainly is not. This is one of those cheap, flophouse hotels in a Mickey Spillane novel; it lacked everything, included a working neon sign. The rooms were decorated (I say lightly) with a mismatch of used dorm-room and garage sale furniture. Most rooms had no overhead lights, or they didn't work, and the bedroom had only one small wallmount reading lamp for the whole room. The shower and sink faucets dripped constantly, causing water torture as I tried to sleep; single-pane, old windows let in all the street noise. The tiles in the bathroom floor were all broke and stuck to your bare feet (wear socks!). The rooms lacked phones, no drinking water glasses, and the TV was a desktop Visio monitor hooked to a UHF/VHF loop antenna. If I had been travelling with my wife or a family, I would have turned around, but I had paid earlier, so I was stuck. I felt like a divorced father, kicked out of my house, and living in a bachelor hotel from a bygone era. While you get what you pay for, there should always be some basic standards. Had the room come with a hooker for an extra $50, then the experience would have been complete. The place must only stay in business by catching unwary tourists for a single stay; can't see how anyone would recommend this place or ever return. The owners should close it, and then remodel and get it fixed up, before renting rooms. BEWARE!!!!

Room Tip: Not to be confused with the Society Hill Sheraton
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank nimitz_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 March 2011

So here are the basics. They had the nerve to charge me $80 a night and there isnt even an iron in here!!
- No alarm clock
- No iron
- Tv uses ANTENNA!!!! (yeah, like from 1966) Everytime I turn off the tv it goes back to being unprogrammable and I have to get somebody from staff to fix the antenna again
- Cold, so they brought me a space heater and an extra blanket

I mean, it is what it is, but I think this is worth more in the 20-30 range a night. I've stayed in Motel 6's WAYY better and cheaper than this

Overall, this place sucks. I dont mind crappy hotels, but dont charge me eighty for something thats nowhere near worth that much.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank cherrybomb745

Travellers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This is a 2 star hotel.
It's what you get.

I booked this hotel - despite the sometimes- shall we say - dodgy?!- reviews it seems to attract - because it was half the price of anything else and right around the corner from a venue we came to town to attend - The Tin Angel. It has to be said one of my friends cancelled her own booking there based solely on the bad reviews - and moved to the Best Western which we could see from our room window.

When we arrived the signs - literally! - were not good! The bar downstairs - much maligned for keeping guests awake? - was closed for renovations and up on the wall was a "For Sale" sign. (we presume - for the bar!) It all looked very rundown and deserted - We eyed the Best Western with a sigh!

But never fear. Rang the Hotel bell - was immediately answered by friendly lady who assured they were open for business - and she mentioned how as we had asked for an extra bed for our friend for one - night - she had set it up - IN THE LOUNGE!

We have a suite?!

I had emailed this request - and received no confirmation. But all was well. And a real bargain. - $20 I think extra for an extra head.

We indeed had two rooms - the small double bedroom and the twice-as-big lounge area with two sofas, coffee table, tv - and well made-up extra adult cot - and a small but functional connecting bathroom (shower,sink,loo) between with Jack and Jill doors.

We asked for extra towels for our friend - which were immediately provided - clean and fluffy!

The rooms are indeed basic. But very clean - no bedbugs!! (mattress cover!) - the shower is hot - it's all we needed.
There are broken ironing boards in cupboards and decorating tools in corners on landings - but nothing that feels unsafe or dirty and you do not come here for luxury or to hang out in your room.

The corner location for bars, restaurants, clubs, shops and historical sites - is fabulous. The choice of eateries is great and yes - the streets will be NOISY!! LIVELY and BUZZING! - until 2am. - which is when the bars shut and then very shortly afterwards - all will be quiet.

Don't fight it. Join them :-)

They seemed to be trialling a "New!" (proclaimed the whiteboard) breakfast service. Not appealing! - There was a coffeepot and packs of cookies. But also a pretty much empty fridge with a bit of milk in it and the staffs leftover lunch! Go out instead - We found an excellent diner in Bridgets - a bracing saunter away.

There are a couple of ancient computers available. I think. I never saw them on! - But you are provided with the hotel internet password - so perfect for me and my iPhone.

Also good for this hotel - The Subway. The closest stop is Penns Landing/11th Street

Honestly - I would stay here again - and if my favourite band hits The Hit Angel again - I most definitely will!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Julues_J
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 February 2011

My stay was slightly longer ago than March 2010 but was so miserable that I really want to warn others. I pre-paid for my room or would have never checked in once I saw it.
- The first cab driver droped me of at another similarly named hotel run by a national chain. It looked great but wasn't the correct place. My secon cab drive then drove right past the Soceity Hill Hotel, that's how obscure and unknown it is.
- I arrived in the evening, a single female, and found that there is no front desk. I had to "check in" at the adjoining corner bar but then go back outside in the rain and enter thru another door for those staying in the hotel rooms above.
- Throughout the hallways, there were huge patches of dark mold on the ceiling and walls. It was filthy.
- I had booked a "suite" lol, and found that it meant you enter the room through an incredibly tiny space, with a large hole in the wall. Seriously. Then you walk through the bare-bones,dated bathroom to a really small bedroom that looked like it hadn't been updated (or cleaned) in 40 years. (I didn't even undress and chose instead to sleep in my clothes on top of the bedspread.)
- The bathroom had no cup or glass so in order to take an RX, I had to walk down a couple of flights of stairs, out into the rain, and into the bar to request a glass for water. Then back out onto the dark, empty street to re-enter the hotel.
- I was there in Winter and it was both rainy and windy. The room's only window had a window air conditioner but there were large gaps between it and the edges of the window so that wind was actually blowing, not leaking,into my room. I took the rags that were supposed to pass as towels and stuffe them in the spaces to cut down on the chill from exterior air. I also ran the shower from time to time to generate heat to try to warm the room.
- The bar was closed in the morning when I was leaving and after some effort I was unable to find a single hotel employee so there was no "check-out" and I just left. (Forgot the free breakfast that was supposed to be delivered to your door. It didn't happen but after the night I had, I wouldn't have wanted to eat anything there anyway.) That also meant no assistance getting a cab in an area where they were not frequent. I had to just start walking with my rolling suitcase and briefcase.
- A few blocks later, when I did find a taxi, I started telling him about my experience and he started to laugh. According to him, the rooms above the bar were more for quick hook-ups after happy hour than overnight guests. Whatever. Yeech.
- Forget getting a refund. There is no one to talk to in person or online.

I could go on but hopefully this glimpse into the Hotel from Hell is adequate and you get the picture. I wouldn't stay there again if they paid me.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank CuriousTraveler8048
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 31 January 2011

The room they gave us was nothing like in the photos. It was small and dark. We had a private bathroom, but it was ugly and kind of dirty. They say they gave a complementary breakfast, but they don't. I stayed there two nights and never had my complementary breakfast. The hotel it's located on top of a bar, so in the night you could hear the music and the noise coming from down stairs. The good thing is the location of the place and the price. It's right next to the historical area and a subway. Another good thing was that they have free wifi.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank palicamus
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Okay, after I read the reviews on this place, I packed everything from bug spray, to rubber gloves to a blow up air mattress, to hair nets and gas masks! But it was fine. Small, yes. The door to the room barely cleared the bed and the bathroom door hit it. The bed is hard, full sized and within two feet of the wall on the sides. The bathroom is not big enough for anyone larger than normal and there's only a shower stall. But it was clean, cheap and in the best possible location for leisure tourists. I found no evidence of bed bugs (the mattresses were in sealed plastic lined covers), no filth or signs of violence (as claimed by one review who said he/she saw blood and used condems) and left wondering whether some of these reviewers had an ax to grind or were just typical spoiled, silly American tourists. Anyone who's done any real traveling will be fine with the rooms in this hotel. They are simply micro-small so be prepared. Also, no elevator so pack accordingly. But the location was the best possible. It was right in the middle of the night life, within walking distance of all major attractions, in the heart of the historic district and over a really cool pub that had great food. Any well traveled person who's more interested in the purpose of travel than in spending a lot of time flipping the remote in the hotel room will be fine with this place. But if you are a spoiled type who's more interested in hotel amenities than the trip itself, stay away. You will not be able to hang. Also, if you want a bigger room, go down a few blocks and pay $250 a night at the Sheraton. Hotel rooms in Philly are notoriously scare and expensive and without a place like this, many could not afford to stay in that part of town.

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank LittleBirdy77
Scotland
Reviewed 16 November 2010

£75 for one night which is fair enough.

Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Great location for shops, restaurants/bars and tourist attractions.

Was concerned at the amount of exposed wires and dangerous surroundings such as a broken fire alarm.

I only stayed for one night though so was not too fussed.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple