“Clean, great location, great rooms. Can be noisy and smelly.”
Review of Society Hill Hotel

Society Hill Hotel
Ranked #77 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I stayed here in October with my girlfriend. The staff were friendly and welcoming. Our room was clean, basic but comfortable and had great wifi and tv. The hotel is located in the perfect spot, really close to all sights, we walked everywhere. Los of restaurants, shops and cafes close by too. The only problem was a funny smell which smelt like sewage, it was there throughout our whole stay. I can be noisy on a weekend due to the bars and restaurants, but nothing earplugs won't shut out. Everything was clean and comfy apart from the shower curtain, there seemed to be a bit of mood on the bottom, and it didn't sit properly so when you showered the whole bathroom got wet. Not huge problems though, the good definitely outweighed the bad, we would stay again if on a budget!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dean C

Reviewed 28 October 2011

We arrived at the hotel mid afternoon and check in was quick and easy, staff were polite and friendly, as they were throughout the whole stay. Our room was small but big enough, there was plenty of storage room and a clean but small bathroom. The decor was clean and modern. The location was seen, walking distance to all of the main attractions and sights. The only issues we had were noise, smell and temperature. It can be noisy on a weekend as it is right above a bar. There was also an awful smell, I suspect it was sewage from the drains outside, this lasted for the whole of our stay but there were workers around who seemed to be trying to fix the problem. The room was also cold at night, our bed was right beneath two windows and it was really drafty. We also didn't receive room service once during our stay, this wasn't a problem as we just asked when we needed clean towels etc but I expect to receive room service at least once in a 7 night stay. Despite the little issues we really enjoyed our stay here, the great location, security, free Internet and tv were great and if we returned to Philadelphia we would be sure to stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Wonderful, quirky, atmospheric little hotel in the right part of town. It feels like something carved out of a 200-year-old office building, and probably is. Free wifi, and a first-rate bar/bistro downstairs that is not part of the hotel but very much joined to it physically and spiritually. I didn't notice any odd smells or noise, unlike some earlier guests. I stayed only one night but would definitely return.

Room Tip: Book well ahead...not too many rooms here!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I would recomend the society hill hotel to anyone looking for a clean room in a great area of town. The room was cozy, and very tidy. We checked in after office hours, but someone was there to personally hand me a key. The hotel went out of its way to accomodate. I would gladly stay there again and recomend it to a traveling couple/single looking for a great neighborhood/value.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank briantsosie
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here in July for a quick weekend getaway to see the sights of Philadelphia and we were not looking to spend a bundle on a room (we wanted to save our money for the delicious restaurants of Philadelphia!). When we got to the Society Hill Hotel we were thrilled with the location right off the bat. It is located in the heart of Old City Philadelphia- just steps away from fantastic restaurants, bars, and historic site such as Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. When we got in our room we were pleasantly surprised and extremely pleased- the bedding was pristine and brand new and the room, while simple, was very clean and suited our needs perfectly. Overall, you can't beat this hotel for its value and location and it is clean and cute to boot!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SJF534
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I should have left when I went to check in, this place was bad throughout. I went into the downstairs restaurant, thinking it was the hotel since it had a sign saying "Society Hill Hotel", and was informed I needed to go in the next door and the hotel would be located upstairs. I went to open the next door but it was locked. The "receptionist" was seated at one of the outdoor restaurant tables having a drink and a smoke. She noticed me standing at the door and lead me upstairs to check in. At this point I was informed that their priceline.com page is incorrect (I have called and complained to pricelince.com but priceline.com has still not updated their page and didn't refund the cost of parking...stay clear of them as well!). They do not offer any type of parking much less free parking. She said I could try to find a spot on the street or in one of the near by parking decks. Since we had a rental car and the idea of having it towed in Philly (I've seen the TV show) did not sound like fun, we went for the safe option and found a deck ($24.00/night, 2 blocks from hotel). Back to the hotel, so they don't have parking nor do they have an unloading zone. My husband had to unload while I guarded the car. They also do not have an elevator so come prepared for stairs. The room was very small but at least it was bug free and clean. The TV was a 13'' inch (I didn't know they still made those) and the shower reminded me of my college days. One window had a crack and was missing some glass. It also has a window AC unit which was not adequate since it was June and 95 degrees outside (plus the window was letting out the cold air). I did find a fan in the closest which seem to help. They say they provide a hair dryer which is true but the outlet it is plugged into was hanging from the wall. I didn't dare use it. On the positive side, the hotel is in a great location but really is more like staying in friend's basement guest room. They advertise as a bed and breakfast but they do not provide any type of breakfast (another priceline.com lie). The hotel is over a resturant and on a busy street. If you are a lite sleeper it might be a bad choice. It was not a problem for us but it was a Monday night and we are both sound sleepers. I don't recommend it and with the cost of parking a hotel with actual free parking would be a money saver in the end. We only paid $85 dollars a night but this place was so bad I still felt ripped off. Please stay away for this hotel and priceline.com...both are big disappointments!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bpwilson
Reviewed 24 May 2011

For $125 a night I expect my waste basket emptied and, who knows, maybe even my bed made and the (miniscule) shower cubicle cleaned. Do not expect service or help of any kind for the duration of your stay (I was there 4 nights) - and certainly expect to get rid of your own garbage. My room was tiny (sharing even with another very small person would have been a nightmare), and the basin in the bathroom was at mid-thigh level (I am just over 5'). The shower was mediocrely clean, the towels very thin, and the room only just passed the bare foot test. There was no outside light - a window faced a high wall a couple of feet away, which dripped during the night when it rained, and smelt dank. To add insult to injury, the price I was charged on arrival was not the price on the booking form. On the plus side, the internet worked, the room had a pretty, old chair, and there was hot water. The restaurant was closed. Had it been cheaper, it would have probably seemed less abysmal. I will not be rushing back on my next visit to Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Bring your booking documents with you
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business