“horrible!”
Review of Society Hill Hotel

Society Hill Hotel
Ranked #77 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 23 October 2012

The room was the size of a walk-in closet, the bathroom almost non-existent, the bed so small you couldn't turn into it, the air conditioning noisy as an airplane. In four days they never made the room (not even the bed) or changed the towels. The reception was always closed and nobody answered the phone, so it was impossible to talk with them. As we had left (for securuty...!) our passports and plane tickets with them, we almost missed our flight.
Only good thing is location, right in the middle of old town Philly, but that's not enough to make anyone want to stay there

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank valeria30154

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Concur with other reviews...clean, great location, good price, NO amenities. One thing I wanted to emphasize was that the rooms are SMALL. At least 301, which was a tiny bedroom, connected to a tiny sitting room by a really tiny bathroom. My sister and I are both pretty small (under 5'6" and thin) and there was no place in either room where we could walk past each other without turning sideways. Not awful for us, but my 6'2" husband would have been very cramped. Some of the pictures seem to show other rooms that are larger, so maybe you could call ahead to ask for one of the "larger rooms".

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank sparkyf15
Reviewed 19 September 2012

This is for sure the worst "hotel" I've ever been in.

First of all, there is no service at all; from time to time somebody is showing up in a sort of office they have on the first floor. Whatever you ask them, be sure that you won't get it, also because the previously mentioned office is always closed (I suspect that they only show up when they know that some guest is coming)

The rooms are ridiculous, small (but this would even not be a problem) and dirty. I've been there for four nights and the room has NEVER been cleaned.
The furnitures in the rooms are creepy and unstable. I got a couch in my room at it was so dirty that I was even afraid of putting my clothes on it.

According to what I saw in that "hotel", I have to say that the pictures that they show in the internet must be either fake or manipulated.

At the end, when I had to leave, they even didn't give a receipt although I clearly asked for it in advance; they told me twice that they will send it to me per email (it is superfluous to add that until now -almost three moths later- they didn't do it).

Be careful

Room Tip: If you ar looking for a good room, go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Antonio G
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is a great hotel if you just want a clean inexpensive place to stay in the Society Hill area of Philadelphia. Built in 1860, the overall structure of the hotel has changed very little since that time . It gives a unique perspective as to what it must have been like to travel and stay in Philadelphia during that time period. The rooms are very, very small as is the bathroom. There is a minimal amount of convieniences (no telephone, small window a/c, no dressers, etc.), but this adds to the charm and experience! This hotel has only 15 small available rooms and we were told that it's almost always booked.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I was very pleased with the comfort of my room; however, the purpose of this e-mail is to compliment the staff member who certainly went out of his way to accomodate me - Mr. Nelson Taveras !! Very impressive, courtesou, always welcome me with a smile and very professional when there was a "slight" problem with a business transaction. Therefore, Society Hill Hotel receives a "Thumbs-Up" and I look forward to another visit in the near future and reside in Society Hill Hotel

Room Tip: The 4th Floor Level adjacent to the street was very nice and quite
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Karen M
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We were pleased with this hotel on a long weekend to Philadelphia. The location was not in the center of things but within walking distance of historic area, many restaurants and the waterfront.
The room was a little worn looking, juice stain on carpet, but considering how many families appeared to be staying that wasn't shocking. The Taste restaurant on site was very good. City Parking was a block away.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katke02
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Good luck trying to contact the staff about any issues. It didn't seem like they cared at all. I don't know if they respond to phone calls or notes. They might work from around 10am to around 3pm on weekdays. They might not. It's a mystery.

They will not provide any, and I mean any, maid services unless specifically requested. And then it's only a maybe. If you want clean towels and sheets, and the trash emptied, at least every couple of days, try another hotel.

The bedroom has an AC unit in the window. But the bathroom and living room are very hot and humid.

The bathroom has cracked tile.

Internet access may or may not work. The TV may or may not work.

Even though it is cheaper than most alternatives, I would advise spending more money elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo