“Sleepless in Philadelphia”

Ranked #76 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Los Angeles
“Sleepless in Philadelphia”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Soooooooooooo Noisey could not get to sleep until 3:45 AM. No one to call and no one answered the phone! Terrible experience. Thick layer of dust under table. No chair in room so only place to sit was on the bed. The room itself so hot we were sweating while in the hall it was very cool. We walked away from the second night which was prepaid and for a mere $40 more, stayed at the Society Hill Sheraton and got a great night's sleep.

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here if you want to sleep. Broken windows see through curtains let in street light, so...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ellen0417

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Never again! I warn you all! I ´m completelly destroyed after 2 nights! It´s without any service at all, the lights don ´t work, the awful technical noise during the night, ugly rooms, locks don ´t work - it´ s the worst hotel I ´ve ever been in.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank PetrBilik

Travellers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Reviewed 7 January 2013

We stayed at the society hill hotel for 3 nights. The location was great, only a 5 or so minute walk to the liberty bell and city hall (liberty hall). A shopping center is also within walking distance, which was good. The room was small, but it's an older building so totally understandable...the ceiling was high which was cute, overall I enjoyed the room, the side table was very cute and vintage. The tv was very small but not hard to watch, ours worked perfectly and we had more than enough channels. Our toilet didn't work properly though. The worst thing about the place was the staff! We arrived after a long journey and they have a strict check-in between 3-5, so we had to wait an hour in the cold. When the lady came down to get us, she was extremely rude which gave us a bad idea of the place. Luckily for us they don't seem very interested in working so they weren't there very much (at all?) so we didn't have to see her again. Yay.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Gabbie_dern
Treviso, Italy
Reviewed 23 October 2012

The room was the size of a walk-in closet, the bathroom almost non-existent, the bed so small you couldn't turn into it, the air conditioning noisy as an airplane. In four days they never made the room (not even the bed) or changed the towels. The reception was always closed and nobody answered the phone, so it was impossible to talk with them. As we had left (for securuty...!) our passports and plane tickets with them, we almost missed our flight.
Only good thing is location, right in the middle of old town Philly, but that's not enough to make anyone want to stay there

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank valeria30154
San Antonio
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Concur with other reviews...clean, great location, good price, NO amenities. One thing I wanted to emphasize was that the rooms are SMALL. At least 301, which was a tiny bedroom, connected to a tiny sitting room by a really tiny bathroom. My sister and I are both pretty small (under 5'6" and thin) and there was no place in either room where we could walk past each other without turning sideways. Not awful for us, but my 6'2" husband would have been very cramped. Some of the pictures seem to show other rooms that are larger, so maybe you could call ahead to ask for one of the "larger rooms".

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank sparkyf15
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 19 September 2012

This is for sure the worst "hotel" I've ever been in.

First of all, there is no service at all; from time to time somebody is showing up in a sort of office they have on the first floor. Whatever you ask them, be sure that you won't get it, also because the previously mentioned office is always closed (I suspect that they only show up when they know that some guest is coming)

The rooms are ridiculous, small (but this would even not be a problem) and dirty. I've been there for four nights and the room has NEVER been cleaned.
The furnitures in the rooms are creepy and unstable. I got a couch in my room at it was so dirty that I was even afraid of putting my clothes on it.

According to what I saw in that "hotel", I have to say that the pictures that they show in the internet must be either fake or manipulated.

At the end, when I had to leave, they even didn't give a receipt although I clearly asked for it in advance; they told me twice that they will send it to me per email (it is superfluous to add that until now -almost three moths later- they didn't do it).

Be careful

Room Tip: If you ar looking for a good room, go to another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Antonio G
New Jersey
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This is a great hotel if you just want a clean inexpensive place to stay in the Society Hill area of Philadelphia. Built in 1860, the overall structure of the hotel has changed very little since that time . It gives a unique perspective as to what it must have been like to travel and stay in Philadelphia during that time period. The rooms are very, very small as is the bathroom. There is a minimal amount of convieniences (no telephone, small window a/c, no dressers, etc.), but this adds to the charm and experience! This hotel has only 15 small available rooms and we were told that it's almost always booked.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple