“A lovely property in a great location”

Ranked #1 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My husband and I went to Philly to see the Van Gogh Up Close exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in late April. What a lovely hotel in a wonderful location! We requested a quiet room with a view of Rittenhouse Square and got exactly what we asked for. We were a little tired after our 3+ hour drive from VA and were delighted that we were offered a flute of champagne, cookies and chocolate covered strawberries (a daily nicety which begins at 3:00) in the beautiful lobby while we waited for our room. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, (especially the bellmen, who called us by name and were always smiling and friendly) as was the Manager, David Benton, who joined us in the bar for some pre-dinner drinks where we enjoyed some lively and interesting conversation.
Our room was spacious, with a king bed with a comfy mattress and high quality, crisp linens. We enjoyed a great night's sleep in peaceful quiet, even though we were 8 floors above the busy square. The bathroom was a good size, with a nice big shower and the amenities were high quality. Housekeeping was superior.
We will definitely make the Rittenhouse our home when we visit Philly again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
curious53158, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

It was a pleasure meeting you. I am so pleased you enjoyed the hotel, the Van Gogh exhibit and Philadelphia. Thank you for your gracious comments to Trip Advisor. Come back and see the Barnes Foundarion exhibit!

Reviewed 20 May 2012

My husband and I were driving down from Upstate New York at the last minute and hurriedly chose The Rittenhouse over the Paloma.

It was our first proper visit to Philadelphia (unless you count passing through on a train) and as we pulled into the driveway at The Rittenhouse, we both sighed with relief. The Rittenhouse is all class - from the moment we got out of the car to check-in, we experienced real, genuine service. The lady at front desk was delightful, and upgraded us. Always a great start!

We were shown to our rooms (as opposed to just being told where it was) and made familiar with everything in the room we needed to know. The bathroom was large and stocked with lovely product, as a woman I appreciated the separate sitting area with a mirror to do my hair and make-up. The room was large and had three windows overlooking the beautiful park. This view alone is worth staying here.

The streets facing Rittenhouse Square park are full of great dining options - there's no doubt this is the area to stay in Philadelphia.

The sawtooth arrangement of the building gives the rooms a feeling of increased space than if it were a flat-frontage overlook = way cool.

The lobby area is really quite beautiful - the sunlit siting area could encourage you to curl up, read a book and drink tea all day.

Housekeeping was faultless.

It's evident The Rittenhouse is one of a kind and not part of a larger chain. The staff take pride in their work and that makes everything all about the guest.

Well done, The Rittenhouse.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
curious53158, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

What a wonderful Trip Advisor review. We sincerely appreciate this, and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

Fabulous central hotel in downtown Philadelphia. Very comfortable great staff and great food / bar on site but also walk able to other nice pubs etc. you won't go wrong at the Rittenhouse.

• Stayed: March 2012

Delighted you enjoyed Philadelphia and liked out location. We appreciate your writing to Trip Advisor.
The Rittenhouse Hotel.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

After returning home from a one night getaway in this hotel (to visit the fantastic Van Gogh Up Close exhibition in the Art Museum) I am now reevaluating hotel rates in general - what is it exactly we are paying for when we are booking hotel accommodations: the room/suite itself, the service, the location, the view?

How do I rate the hotel in general if all the listed factors vary greatly from each other?

We have had a similar experience before, also in Philadelphia. The Palomar (a Kimpton hotel) had a fantastic spa room I greatly enjoyed, but the service was not up to par.

Here, in the Rittenhouse Hotel, it was the other way around: the staff was indeed superb and flawless in every way (every single one we met), but the rooms were not quite meeting our expectations.

The 2nd room was adequate (after we moved from the first which had not been to our liking), but we have had bigger and better rooms (and suites!) elsewhere for HALF the rate we paid for a "deluxe room" at The Rittenhouse.

So is the prime location worth the prime rate? Or the view onto neighbouring buildings and the park? Or does the outstanding service justify the outrageous rate?

The deluxe room 912, while kept up over 20 years, seemed outdated. The furniture had chips and nicks, and the curtain even had a burn hole from a cigarette! (Since when is this property a Non Smoking property? For how long has this hole been there already?)

While this was not disturbing us, the very high price was simply not matching the room's condition. It was absolutely clean, but it seemed strangely outdated. The style was very pleasant, and I would keep that (so this is not about fashion!), but when things get damaged or worn, they should be replaced. Especially at a rate like The Rittenhouse's!

If we had paid around $200-250 for this room, I would have been absolutely happy and would have simply ignored the chips, nicks and the burn hole. But with over $500 per night (incl. museum tickets, valet parking, breakfast for 2, taxes and fees we paid $517) you are really getting onto another level here, and I am afraid that their rooms are not worth that price.

Now that the Hersha Group (owner of properties like Hampton Inn, Residence Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Holiday Inn etc) recently bought The Rittenhouse Hotel (March 2012), maybe they will take some steps to refresh the rooms.

I had serious doubts that our first (small looking) room really had the advertised 600 sqft, in fact I suspected that a mistake had been made and we had mistakenly been put into a "superior room" (their term for standard room).

The front desk reassured me that our room indeed was a "deluxe" room (one step above "superior") and that it really had the advertised 600 sqft, only the layout was different from room to room, and therefore it looked different than the picture online.

But without me asking they were looking for another room right away, found one, and a servant led me there to evaluate it.

On the way to the new room he asked me whether I had seen the large bath room, and he mentioned that its huge space is counting to the room's square feet measurement. I had seen the bath in the first room we were put in and had to tell him that they were actually not big at all, and that I was actually a bathroom nut who chooses hotels by their bathrooms, and that I am usually staying in hotels who offer spa bath rooms. And those spa bath rooms were really not comparable with the Rittenhouse bath rooms. He was a bit silent after that and then we changed the subject.

I found their bathrooms really kind of ordinary. Separate shower stalls are standard today, and the low tub was not comparable to anything other hotels would offer nowadays (google "Fuji tub" to see what is out there in other hotels). It even lost its water while I was still sitting in it (seal was not tight).

But we greatly enjoyed the 2 corner windows we had in deluxe room 912, which was actually laid out pretty well with its furniture, and it felt indeed spacious.

The vanity section between the room and the bath was also designed well. Make up mirror and big dressing mirror were helpful, and the free Fiji water and the fresh nuts were a nice greeting, along with a welcome card from the management.

Another plus was the free Internet (wired and wireless), the turn down service with robes and slippers and LaCroix chocolates, and the generously sized tubes of Aromatherapy toiletteries. They also offered complimentary shoe shining over night.

I was looking forward to swim in their pool, as hotel guests are having free access to the Adolf Biecker Spa, but alas, it was closed during our stay. Management had left a note on the desk about it with an apology, and it offered a shuttle to the Bellevue's pool, but I knew that one already from my birthday trip last year. It would have been too much of a hassle, and since we had only one night, I forsook the swim.

I actually would like to return to this property, if they'd offer a good deal. You know, if they had a loyalty program which would offer perks and exclusive offers to members only.

Oh, I forgot - they do have that already - but unfortunately it costs $150 yearly to join the "Access Level" and even $1200 yearly for the "Leaders Club Unlimited Level"... (Seriously!)

So where will I stay next time in Philly?

Room Tip: 9th floor deluxe room 912 had 2 corner windows, was very spacious and really quiet
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Albgardis T
curious53158, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Thank you for your constructive review of the hotel. We are pleased to let you know that our new owners are planning a beautification program to enhance the hotel. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

We stayed here one night (sat) in a king deluxe room for a weekend birthday trip for my husband. Clean, quiet, friendly, beautiful, luxurious bathroom, roomy, great location (shopping, food and beautiful park steps away), comfortable bed, excellent view of park and city, champagne and cookies upon arrival, complimentary chocolates - it was perfect.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmipm
curious53158, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

We are so pleased you had a wonderful birthday weekend! Congratulations! Thank you for your complimentary review.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

When you stay in a first class hotel you expect first class service. The Rittenhouse didn't disappoint on any level. Looking forward to a return visit.

1  Thank msnanalou

Your gracious review to Trip Advisor is appreciated. We are pleased you enjoyed the hotel and look forward to another visit.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed here during a weekend trip to Philly in April 2012. The location is awesome. My room was comfortable and spacious. I loved the bed, the view of the park, and even the products in the bathroom. I found the staff to be kind and helpful. The pool and fitness center were clean and nice. And I greatly enjoyed the champagne and chocolate covered cherries that were served down in the lobby. I highly recommend The Rittenhouse.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
curious53158, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

We so appreciate your kind review to Trip Advisor readers, and pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and the City of Philadelphia.