“Comfortable and outstanding service”

The Rittenhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Recently, I stayed at several hotels in downtown Philadelphia. The Rittenhouse hotel is the best by far. I (traveling with my dog) was greeted warmly and efficiently by the bellman. The staff at front-desk and the concierge were also courteous and friendly. The room was spacious, comfortable, bright and clean. The location is very convenient. Overall, an outstanding hotel that I will return to repeatedly.

Room Tip: High floors; corner rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank yo so much for visiting The Rittenhouse! Pets are part of the family after all and we are happy to accommodate you whenever you are in Philadelphia. As always, please let us know if there is anything special we can do for you while you are in house.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We were there a week ago and all was perfect. The room (park view) was quite spacious and cosy, well equipped, the bathroom beautiful, nice amenities. Staff was incredibly courteous and helpful. Breakfast at the "Lacroix" restaurant is really delightful.
As per location, it is really perfect near the city hall, lots of restaurants, a big bookstore, the park, the famous "rocky steps" (and the museum) etc.
We did not stay more than one night, two days, but I would go back there if ever again in town.

Room Tip: Park view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Philippe S

Our location is trumped only by the service of our dedicated team. Please continue to make us your Philadelphia address and thank you for sharing your experience with others. It means a great deal to us...

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I started staying at the Rittenhouse nearly 10 years ago, and have provided reviews in the past on how great the property is. This year, I visited with my two young children for the first time, and also saw the property for the first time since its new ownership. I'm happy to say that the staff is as excellent as ever. When my young son became ill at 2:00 in the morning, the night manager came to the room to assist. He was understanding and patient, and was focused on making sure that we had everything we needed. That's exactly what I needed at that moment.

The rooms are still beautiful as ever. We were given a slightly larger room to accommodate our kids, which was much appreciated. My wife and I also had the opportunity to visit the library bar, which I believe is relatively new. It was quiet, and a great place to have a couple drinks and feel like we were on vacation.

Overall, it's a great hotel. It's expensive, but if you travel this year, they are offering special rates to celebrate their 25th anniversary. If you are going to stay in Philly, this is the place to do it. Whether you're alone, as a couple, or with a family. I've stayed at several other hotels in the city, but this is the one I keep going back to.

Room Tip: Call to make your reservations. The staff are helpful, and if you tell them what you need, they will...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mrcook128

We certainly do offer special rates; this summer especially in honor of our 25th anniversary. Please check our website for updates. On another note, we hope your son is feeling better and that we were able to assist. Call on us anytime of the day or night and we will be happy to offer whatever service you may need.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The hotel is just in the famous Rittenhouse square, and you can walk everywhere easily. The building hosts also a condominium, and it is actually interesting to see the mix of residents and visitors. They also have doctors studios in the lower floor, an I think some other business. The room was very big, with a comfortable bed, excellent beauty products in the bathroom. This was also big with both a bath tab and a shower. The personnel was really kind, and it is clear since you arrive that you are in a five star property from the way you are treated. The only ones that were a bit less kind were the receptionists, with a kind of posh attitude. One day, instead of calling for laundry service, I took my jacket and shirt in the laundry bag directly at the reception (as written in the instructions in the room). When I handed it out to the girl at the reception she took it as if I was giving her a bag of garbage and looked at me in a very strange way with the same posh attitude I experienced at check-in. Another thing I did not enjoy was the food served during meeting. For four days we had exactly the same food, not single change. It was really not a well though thing when you know that you have the same guests for a week.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

We truly appreciate your comments regarding your stay. Please feel free to call for laundry pick up or simply place the items in the valet bag in your room and we will take care of it for you. Should you wish to drop it by the front desk we should graciously accept it and I am sorry if your were made to feel otherwise. Menu selections for groups are generally made by an outside meeting planner but we are happy to accommodate any request or preference. We will certainly share your feedback to your facilitator and completely agree.

Looking forward to seeing you again when you return to Philadelphia!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel is beautiful, and the photos online don't do it justice. We were greeted warmly at 12:30 a.m. and given a great room with a park view. Quick check in, which was appreciated since we were exhausted. As members of Leading Hotels of the World (worth the membership!!!), we received a complimentary continental breakfast, which was filling and delicious. I still think about the pastries. Of course we tipped for the great service at breakfast, but we were upset to see that a tip was added to our hotel invoice for breakfast as well. The cash tip that we gave was larger than the tip that the hotel added, which meant that our server received $20 each morning for our continental breakfast, which is excessive. Upon check-out, we were told that the hotel would remove the tip from our bill, but they never did. The rooms are luxurious, and after a long day of sight-seeing, we relaxed in the bathtub and lounged around in the comfy robes. The hotel provided great directions to points of interest, and we dined in the steakhouse next door to the restaurant, which was quite good. (Too bad there wasn't room in the hotel fridge for our leftovers. We ended up having to purchase a cooler with ice, which tells you how great the food was!!!!) The day after our return, I noticed there there was an additional charge of $115 on my credit card. I called the hotel and was told that this was for mini bar charges. We didn't eat anything from the mini-bar, so that was frustrating. However, upon being sent a revised invoice, I couldn't stop laughing because of the amount of items that we allegedly consumed from the mini-bar. Sodas, water, half a bottle of wine, popcorn, pretzels and just about every candy bar you can imagine. In short, way too much for two people to eat in one day and survive. The charge was removed, but I thought that a five-star hotel would think to call a guest and ask about such an excessive consumption of food before automatically charging a card. Although there were a few hiccups, we would definitely stay here again. Beautiful rooms and location, friendly staff, very relaxing experience, which is what we were looking for. Is this a five-star hotel? Can't say for sure, but we will be back!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kbpvpf
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your helpful feedback. Certainly, the gratuity should only be posted once and those that are included must be highlighted. On the mini bar issue, we need to take better notice if the in room refrigerator has been emptied in order to accommodate other items. Please know that we have extra refrigerators available on request so you do not have to bother with a cooler or empty the existing refrigerator.

Please contact me directly so we can make any necessary adjustments after the fact and thank you for joining us at The Rittenhouse. We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reg Archambault

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights over the 4th of July weekend. We received an excellent room rate which included valet parking. Internet access was complimentary. The water pressure in the shower was super. The hallways were quiet. The valet and front desk staff were friendly and helped make the stay very pleasant. One minor disappointment was the bed pillows. They were flat as pancakes! I usually sleep with 1 pillow at home and I required 3 here.

Room Tip: All the rooms are large. You should be satisfied, even with a standard room.
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 4happyfamily
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for joining us over the Independence Day holiday. We strive to be excellent in every area and will take a close look at our pillow inventory. We feature various types and sizes and will ensure that all are the best available. Please come back and see us whenever you are in Philadelphia!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Elegant, classic, clean rooms. Helpful and friendly staff. In the heart of Philadelphia within close distance to every attraction. Staff was always helpful and friendly whether it was for a restaurant reservation, advanced order of a taxi, recommendations on nightlife. Highly recommended

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent. Rooms facing the park are beautiful n
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

We aim to please and clearly hit the mark with your recent visit... Thank you so much for telling others about your Rittenhouse experience and we hope to see you again very soon!