“Great Service”

The Rittenhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We stayed at The Rittenhouse for one night. We were in Philadelphia with our ten year old son to see the historical sites. Let me begin by saying that for us, service is number one. That is our first requirement and if it is bad the entire trip/experience is ruined for us. The Rittenhouse does not fail in that department, however I will say that when we arrived I was not impressed with the gentleman checking us in. Other than that the service was flawless.

Pros:
* Service: Other than at check in, service was great. We were in the room possibly five to ten minutes when we had a knock on the door and a tray with complimentary bottled water, fruit, milk and cookies for my son, a treasure map for him to color, etc. was delivered. When we called down for towels, they were delivered within minutes. We called to have our safe looked at (my husband pressed some button that turned off the display) and they were there immediately. Every request was tended to extremely promptly and cheerfully. We were offered champagne, ,juice, chocolate covered strawberries and cookies in the lobby. When we checked out we had a small cooler in the car, they ran (without being requested to do so) to refill the ice and brought it back with white glove (literally) service. Reservations for dinner, etc. all wonderfully handled. Complimentary car service was offered by Mike (extremely helpful) to drop us at Independence Hall. Wonderful.

*Location: On Rittenhouse Square. Beautiful park right in front of the hotel, nice shopping, restaurants nearby.

*Complimentary car service within city limits. This was great for us.

*Comfortable beds with good sheets.

*Complimentary internet.

Cons:

*Decor: The decor in the main part of the hotel is fine. The rooms are dated. There is no getting around it. The reviewer that compared it to Dynasty had it right on. We were in a suite on the 9th floor. It was spacious, but dated. Wallpaper border, doorknobs that I think must go back to the 70's. The shower was about 3 ft. x 2ft., and I am being generous with that measurement. I literally measured it with my feet. I am a ladies size 7. My 6'1'' husband could barely move his arms around.

*Pool: My husband and son went in while I sat poolside. They had to get out because the chlorine was so, so strong. We swim every day at our club at home and are used to pool water. This was ridiculous. My husband and son both had eyes so red that they got out and had to rinse out their eyes. My son was looking forward to swimming, but I would not let him get back in.

Overall, we enjoyed the hotel. This is because the service we received was excellent. I have not stayed at the Ritz in Philadelphia, but have been to the Four Seasons. We chose The Rittenhouse based on Trip Advisor reviews. I liked the Four Seasons, but it was very much focused on the business traveler so we thought we would try The Rittenhouse. The service at The Rittenhouse would be hard to beat, but the Four Seasons wins for decor. On another note, check out City Food Tours of Philadelphia. We went and really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank worldtraveler11594
Management response:Responded 6 August 2010

Thank you for your detailed positive review. We are delighted you had a wonderful stay with us. i have noted your concern about the level of chlorine in the pool and have had a pool service regulate the chemicals which will alleviate eyes being irritated. Thank you for bringing that concern to my attention.
Kind regards,
David G. Benton
Vice President and General Manager

Reviewed 3 August 2010

My daughter and I stayed at The Rittenhouse during our trip to visit Drexel University. We've never stayed at a nicer hotel. The staff was enthusiastic, professional, and extremely eager to please. The hotel safe was not big enough to fit my daughter's laptop so someone from the security office came right up to our room to get the laptop for safekeeping. When we asked at the front desk to retrieve the laptop someone brought it right up to us - we didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes. When we ordered a full dinner on room service, it arrived in less than 1/2 hour with white linen tablecloth and yellow roses in a little vase. We had ordered a piece of carrot cake for the two of us to share, and the slice they gave us was gigantic. All the serving sizes were large, and the food was very good. The room has a device on the large flat screen TV for hooking up your own DVD player or laptop so you can watch your own movies on the big TV - very cool. The room is large with lots of granite in the vanity and bathroom. The bathroom has a large soaking tub as well as a large shower and is filled with Aromatherapy bath products along with a "vanity kit", "mend kit", shower cap, etc. The bed is very comfortable and the linens crisp and clean. The desk is in a little nook surrounded by windows - we had a view of the park. The dresser on which the TV sits has a safe inside, in addition to a well-stocked regrigerator and snack bar (prices are steep, though). We found the concierge to be very accommodating (even offering to drive us to a local movie theater). The only complaint is that the air conditioning unit in the room is quite loud and took some getting used to (had to use my earplugs to prevent it from waking me up when it kicked on).

My father who is very frugal always stays in lower cost, two star hotels. He lost $1,000 cash because the hotel had no safe and he left the money at the front desk, thinking they would lock his belongings up for him. We paid about $450 for two nights at this lovely, highly secure hotel, and are ahead $550! :-) It really is worth every penny.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank sabrinabeck
Management response:Responded 6 August 2010

We are all so delighted that you had a very positive experience at The Rittenhouse on your most recent stay. Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to your return.
David G. Benton
Vice President and General Manager

Reviewed 23 July 2010

My wife and I first discovered The Rittenhouse back in 2005. Since then, we try to get there at least once a year. In fact, we won't stay anywhere else in Philadelphia now. The rooms are the largest I've ever seen in a "standard" room, featuring huge bathrooms with separate shower/soaking tub. The service is always gracious and friendly and concierge is consistent and helpful. We have visited the Adolf Biecker Spa, eaten at Lacroix and had drinks at Bar 210 and in all ways we have found service and quality on par or better than other luxury hotels. On our last stay, we were bumped up to a top-floor suite - truly a great way to travel with a small child. I recommend this hotel happily and without reservation. In fact, we're going back next month.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mrcook128
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Our stay was wonderful. The service was no less then you would expect from a 4 star property. The rooms and hallways are a little older but were clean and the bed was very comfortable. I am not a big fan of the decor but everything was in great shape. The turn down service in the evening were a very nice touch.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Kittykat7440
Reviewed 13 July 2010

I was here on work travel, but I was actually able to spend a lot of time at the hotel and strolling around the surrounding area. Great shopping, good eats, and a nice park right in from of the hotel. In the about a 1.5 days that I spent at this hotel, I got a turn down in my room 3x! It's like I leave my room and they're there right away to clean! I love that--they also refill all the amenities. The shampoo and lotion smell wonderful and flowery--it's not generic hotel shampoo and lotion! The room itself has a homey feel though I like a more updated feel. It's very clean at least.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank mstinawu
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Hands down the best buffet brunch I've ever experienced. Rooms are spacious and clean. Service is great. Pool was okay. Best part is the location. We usually stay at the Four Seasons but we've been converted after this visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank winesquire
Reviewed 26 June 2010

I travel for business all the time, and I have stayed at the Ritz, Four Seasons and the Rittenhouse several times. There is no question that the Rittenhouse is the best of breed in Philadelphia. The staff is consistently profesional and attentive, yet not "fake" as unfortunately often the case in too many hotels.

The location on the Square is perfect and it makes for an easy walk to just about anywhere. Don't be fooled by imitators, this is the best in Philadelphia.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business