“Elegant historic city-center hotel, under professional management”

The Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square
Ranked #30 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Elegant historic city-center hotel, under professional management”
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Elegant large city-center hotel, the Radisson Warwick occupies an old residential building in the heart of Philadelphia. Like most of Philly, the outside is not particularly attractive, however the lobby, guestrooms and facilities are all plush, comfortable and professionally run with great service.

Location: In the heart of the city, surrounded by the best streets and squares for shopping, dining and sightseeing.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank washbrol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Maryland
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We got a good rate on this hotel through a priceline bid. There is valet parking, but it is pretty expensive, especially considering there is self-parking across the street. The lobby is traditional and beautiful - it feels like walking into the an elegant hotel from the past. Very friendly desk staff, as well. The location is very close to high-end shopping. It was about 10 blocks walk to Reading Terminal Market, past the courthouse and some other interesting sights.

Our room (two double beds) was immaculately clean, and fair sized with sleep number beds. Both beds were comfortable & in working condition. The sheets were top quality and sooooffft.

The bathroom was not cramped or too small, & lacked a fan, but did have an opening window. Before booking this hotel, I read the reviews and noted that more than few people complained about the bathroom sink being too tall: fear not, it's just fine. It may be taller than at at home, but certainly not the slightest inconvenience, especially considering we are both 5'3" tall.

Here's the rub: we stayed on the 4th floor on the alley side of the bldg. There is a restaurant downstairs in the hotel & it apparently has quite some nightlife. There were people partying in the alley who kept me up until about 2 AM. Around 4:30 AM, the garbage truck came. All of this was noise was crystal clear. I could even make out some of the people's conversations. That said, my friend in the bed closest to the door slept soundly through the night. We didn't notice any noise from the hallway at all.

Considering the price and that this is a beautiful, historic building in a great location, I'd recommend it, with the caveat that if you make a reservation here, you should choose a higher floor, and perhaps on another side of the building.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank GinKirk
New York, NY
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Someone threw up in our room before we arrived. First of all, I'd like to note that the hallways looked a bit tired & our door looked like it had been kicked in upon arrival, but we got a good deal & were not at all bothered by either fact, to be honest.

However, when we walked in the room, immediately, we could tell that someone recently threw up. It clearly had been cleaned but there were red stains all over the carpet & it smelled
HORRIBLE/UNBEARABLE. We called
downstairs and a) the clerk did not seem at all surprised b) he said there was no way he could possibly move us c) that he would send someone from housecleaning up.

Needless to say, no one came, we left the windows wide open for two days, went through a whole bottle of air freshener that we were forced to seek out & still spent most of our long weekend with scarves over our faces.

I understand things happen but I can't in good conscience give a good review of our experience or the service at The Radisson. No follow-up from the hotel after our complaint the first day & no extra cleaning. We were completely ignored.

Location, however, as noted in other reviews is great.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank namila
UK
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Poor service at check-in to start with. Made our own way with luggage down shabby corridor to an even more shabby room. Not only was the decoration of the room VERY tired it was also filthy. Carpet looked as if it hadn't been vacuumed this year, all soft furnishings very stained and in poor condition - sort of tide-mark around the valances, a sofa so stained you didn't want to go near it for fear of catching something, noisy air-con, musty smell, noisy mini-bar. Duty manager changed our room up to the Club level which superficially was a little cleaner. However, a shower was impossible that night as there was no hot water. To cap it all, when I awoke in the morning, I had insect bites on my legs from bedbugs......
Overall a very nasty experience. Not what you expect from a Radisson hotel and not what you expect at around $250 a night.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Carlton5
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 April 2011

From the moment we pulled up we were pleased with what we saw. Great shopping right up the street. The staff was very welcoming.
Hazel checked us in and was very pleasant. When we got to our room I was a little surprised by what I saw. We didn't have a full length mirror and I couldn't find a plug in the bathroom. On our way out I asked Hazel her thoughts on a place we were headed and then mentioned my bewilderment on the lack of mirror and plug. She immediately gave us a new room ( and a much nicer one).
When booking be specific, floor number? Sleep number bed or not? Full length mirror?

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rdaddd03
London, England
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I see the most recent review bashes the Sleep Number bed, but my experience of it just made me want to buy one. I guess I might have to describe it as blind luck but it was definitely the best sleep of my two week trip up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

I can really think of nothing bad to say about the Radisson Plaza-Warwick, with excellent service, a massive room for one person, superb facilities in the room and lobby (loved the complimentary fruit infused water!) and a location that cannot really be beaten, especially if you get a decent online rate.

I arrived quite early (before 10am) but was still allowed to check in by a very polite and well-informed front desk staff, who also managed to calm my fears that the Opening Day baseball game I was there to see would be called off (it wasn't!). The rest of the experience didn't dip at all and I would say the Radisson is an ideal base for a trip to Philadelphia.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank capitalgull
Fort Pierce, Florida
Reviewed 1 April 2011

We had never tried sleep number beds, so we thought this would be a good test. Well, never again. These things are essentially automatically adjustable air mattresses. Our experience was that we spent the first night just trying to get the adjustment right, and the second night trying to replicate what we had done the first night. For some reason, the machine kept moving off the numbers we had programmed in.

Anyway, as we were leaving, the front desk clerk told us that if we had not wanted sleep number beds, they had regular ones. Would have been great if they'd told us that before. Would have saved two morning backaches each.

Anyway, the hotel is in a wonderful location, two blocks off Rittenhouse Square. The lobby is very attractive. Our room had a window that fronted a brick wall that was maybe 6 feet away. It was absolutely awe-inspiring to wake up to the sun shining down into the cavern that we could see out that window. The heat/ac unit was finicky, shutting off and on randomly. We like the room cool and like to use a blanket or comforter. But what they had on their beds really didn't do the job. It was a sheet and some kind of semi-comforter that did not really provide warmth.

The bathroom was okay. The toilet tended to run unless you jiggled the handle. The bathtub did not drain properly. The sink was placed on an unusually high wooden table. I'm six feet tall and I had a hard time leaning over while brushing my teeth so I could spit into the sink. My wife, eight inches shorter, did so on tippytoes. I think they have contructed the sinks for people who are used to using spittoons. Either that or they expect you to spit into the toilet or the bathtub. To make matters worse, the sink leaked onto the shelf below it.

The walls were not very thick. The folks next door had a baby that cried every day aroudn dnner time. Fortunately for us, that was the last time the baby cried each day. I don't know how they managed that unless they gagged the kid, but sounds from next door did not disturb our sleep.

Housekeeping was spotty. The back side of the door managed to be covered with what looked like a month's worth of dust. Apparently, no one ever noticed. Some days they brought soap and some days they did not. A cocktail glass we brought into the room the third day was left there the fourth.

We stayed in this hotel because we got it on Priceline for about 60% of the alleged retail price. I would so not want to stay there that I would not bid on a room in its star class in Philadelphia, just to ensure that I would not end up there. I'm sure there are better properties in Philly, even under $100 a day, which was what we wanted to pay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple