“Street Noise is a real problem”

The Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square
Ranked #30 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
United States
“Street Noise is a real problem”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Firstly I must agree with most of the reviewers the bed and room were comfortable

Found all the staff to be lovely, helpful and friendly, especially Troy

The room has recently been refurbished:

Bed Lovely
Black out blinds excellent
Television good size
Coffee and tea in room and, if like us you prefer your coffee a little stronger, there is a coffee shop in the lobby area

The new side chair and stool look out of place in the room, they look like something you see at the side of the road with a sign saying 'free, help yourself'

The toilet had a slow leak which meant that it kept refilling, this even woke my daughter.

But by far the worst feature was the street noise, I cannot understand why any hotel would undertake a refurbishment without sound proofing rooms. The noise was so bad that you could sing along to tunes being played on radios outside and we were on the 10th floor! We often couldn't hear the television over the traffic noise and kept checking that the windows weren't open.

Philly doesn't seem to sleep on Saturday nights and along with the horns, sirens and reversing beepers we were treated to singing - thought that the x-factor was on location at one point.

The city starts early and preparation starts earlier, by 5am the traffic noise is enough to wake even the heaviest of sleepers. The reversing beepers were by far the worst as the succeeded in waking me every day.

If the road noise wasn't enough to wake you alarm clocks in adjacent rooms certainly did - I suspect that some of them had been left on despite the room being vacant.

Would I recommend this hotel, no, it was a good price but we came home shattered through lack of sleep. If you aren't noise sensitive then this could be a good choice as the price maybe lower than others in the area.

Room Tip: Not anywhere near a road and as high up as possible to limit street noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Joanne-1Hotel, General Manager at The Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Vendue2
Thank you for sharing your comment about your recent stay at the Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia.

I apologize for the street noise you experienced during your stay. I have made a note in your profile that when you return an accommodation on the interior of the building to be provided.

Thank you very much for recognizing our amazing staff!
Joanne Cunningham, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We recently stayed at the Radisson Plaza-Wariwck on a weekend trip to Philadelphia, and were glad we did. This historic property has undergone a massive renovation, and the lobby was being completed while we were there...All the rooms have been updated floor to ceiling, with a more modern look, the beds were EXTREMELY comfortable for sleeping, although the A/C unit fan seemed to blow directly in the direction of the bed. Having stayed there only for the weekend, we were not privy to any of the construction noise, that may occur during the week.. Hopefully the interior and exterior entry will be complete soon.. We had to come in thru a side entry, thank goodness for the valets, they were quick and efficient.. The great location of the hotel is one of its best features. Its only a block from Rittenhouse Square, and some of the best restaurants in the city.. Its a comfortable 20 minute walk to the Barnes Foundation museum or The Kimmel Center.. I would return again...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank warner50
Dear warner50,
Thank you for posting your comments about the hotel in Trip Advisor! We opened the lobby on Friday November 1st to lots of ooh's and ah's as the lighting, seating and overall ambiance is spectacular.

I appreciate your posting and hope that you reach out for your next visit to we can personally take care of your reservation. Thanks also for mentioning the staff - they went over and above during the redesign to make everyone comfortable as they always do!. I will share you comment with them.
Washington
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Like all the Radisson hotels we have stayed at, this one is well managed and modern in design. Its current construction problems will no doubt eventually be completed, though on a weekend we didn't experience the noise that apparently causes concern weekdays. However, a room here doesn't come cheap and at that price one could expect something more than the smalll room we received with a view of a brick wall in an adjacent commercial building. Modern decor is fine but one could also use a comfortable chair to sit on and read. On the positive side, it is in a great location, near Rittenhouse Square and a few blocks from concert halls and theaters.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Wolfgang3002,
Friday November 1st we finally re-opened our front doors on 17th street and became officially Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel, Philadelphia. An iconic landmark hotel in downtown Philadelphia with an address second to none!

Thanks for letting me know about your visit as it helps us to continue to improve in providing great accommodations and an experiential trip for others.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Five night stay, October 2013.

Cons: The hotel was still upfitting the lobby and the construction on the exterior street level started with trucks backing in at 7AM. This is an older hotel and is in an urban area, so street noise is to be expected - however jackhammers at 8AM is not. Staff did not advise this would be occurring. The windows in the hotel HAVE been upgraded since construction in the 20's but do nothing to mitigate ambient street noise including vehicles and pedestrians.Other than the noise issue, the room was clean but sparsely fitted. The side chair and table are modern and really unuseable. Lighting was dim in the room. LCDTV's are good sized but have few channels and some appeared to be affected by poor satellite reception.

Pros: Bathrooms appeared to have been recently upgraded and are nicely tiled and clean. Good lighting with vanity mirror and hairdryer. Staff was accomodating and did not annoy with door knocking or calls. Complementary papers and bottled water were nice. Check in and out were very fast with no issues at all. Linens were very good quality with plenty of pillows on the king size bed and comfortable threat counts for sheets and towels. HVAC unit in the room worked well with a seperate wall-mounted thermostat. Windows can be opened about 4 inches to let in fresh air and the rolldown shades are light blocking - a very nice touch.

Probably a better business hotel or couple getaway than a family hotel. Three and half stars.

Situated within walking distance of most anything you'd want to see in center city Philly, except for the museums and historical things (Liberty Bell/Betsy Ross). Plenty of good restaurants close by although the in-house steak restaurant was pricy (did not dine).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear A F,
Thank you for your recent posting at Trip Advisor. Yes, finally the lobby has been completed and our front and main entrance to this grand building has been restored.

Yes, we are excited about our re-branding to Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia just recently on November 1st.. The last and final phase is lobby but as you saw all of our guest rooms are completed with stylish and contemporary décor and lots of conveniences.

Thank you also for your kind remarks about the staff me embers.

Missouri
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

I kept some notes for my review since I stayed here 4 nights. First of all, there is no indication on the website that one of the restaurants and the main lobby are totally closed. I consider this a little deceptive. You must enter through the side door access to Prime Rib Restaurant. The front desk is off to the side. The young lady that checked me in told me nothing. I later asked how I was supposed to know that they offer breakfast on the 3rd floor and what the wifi password is (even though the literature in the room says I was told the password at check in).
Here are some things that I call good:
New flooring
Pretty good bed
Electrical outlets by the night stands
Steve the doorman was outstanding
Elevators are fast
Housekeeping was responsive when called.

Here are the problems:
Loudest toilet water system Ive ever heard. Plus it had a leak so it would top off about every 45 minutes and wake you up all night long.
Water does not drain in the shower/tub. You will stand in water when finished.
1/4 roll of t.p.- seriously? Had to call the front desk
Paper thin walls. You can hear conversations in the next room.
Mildew in the supposedly newly refurbed shower.
Had to call and ask for wash clothes. They didn't reload them.
Not much personality at the front desk.
Extremely cold on the main floor.
Have to get a large number of people through a small side door.

I have watched this hotel on trip advisor the last few months. It was headed up but is going down and I predict it will go lower. The refurbishing going on is just a clean up, repaint, and new carpet. That is not a total refurbish job. I lean heavily on trip advisor when I book rooms. This one caught me off guard. I usually research and never have to give low ratings. That is not the case here. This hotel might be a 3 star when the lobby is done.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Kemper07
Joanne-1Hotel, General Manager at The Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Kemper07
Thank you for your comments.

As you did notice, our hotel is in the final few days of a major redesign and will be rebranded shortly as Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Radisson Blu is a brand that is focused on design, style.

I sincerely apologize for the issues that your reported and will review these as well as the positive feedback with the team to improve our service and product. I appreciate the time you took to let me know about your stay.

If your travels bring you back to Philadelphia, please reach out to me so I can pay particular attention to your reservation. Thank you.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We booked this hotel months in advance for a very well attended conference ( so we knew that rooms would be scarce if not booked early). There was no inkling on the website that there would be construction at the time of our stay, and it is unknown if it was actually scheduled then. And hard to say if the reduced rate was due to the convention-negotiated rate or due to the undisclosed construction looming. In any event, was happy with the price, but disappointed with the unavailability of what was certainly a classic 1928 lobby, restaurant bar and perceived "grand" entry. From the side entry by the still open Prime rib restaurant and coffee bar/interim cocktail area, curbside assistance is lightening fast and very courteous, with the doorman and bell staff literally johnny on the spot as your cab arrives. The front desk staff at the temp desk were very organized and speedy...a welcome change from some hotel check ins that seem interminable when are tired from traveling. We had a 7th floor room, removed from the elevators, and in the corner, but true to prior reviews, the ding-ding of the elevator arrival is most clearly and distinctly heard, even though we were several rooms removed. The room location, tho with no view, did not get any construction noise, thankfully, and the new windows tuned out the very loud factory type noise from the adjacent building ( remarkable soundproofing actually). However, surprisingly, the noise comes from within. it is like being on the receiving end of one of those historic "whispering" halls or benches in that in your room you can very clearly hear conversations( and more :( from the adjacent room. even normal-voiced conversations. One evening, there was a small gathering in the room next to ours--not a party at all, but the jumble of voices sounded like one. We turned on the window A/C so that its steady hum would drown out the patter. So if you are a light sleeper, or even a moderate one...bring ear plugs. Other than that, the room had been updated to that "city sleek" minimalist look of like big city hotels, and was very clean and comfortable. Due to no fans in the bathroom, opening the window was mandatory, and that let in street noise ( and really didnt vent all that well) but by that time you are awake, and ready to go and start your day. High point was the courteous service and location, reduced price at the time of the stay. Loved the portion of the entry level that we saw, classic marble and gilding...hope it stays that way.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Wdee2013:
Thank you for your recent posting on trip advisor.
I very much appreicate providing me with the opportunity to recognize our terrific team members who genuinely enjoy the hospitality industry. I apologize that our hotel was in a redesign phase and hope that your travels bring you back to Philadelphia to experience the hotel once again.
Baltimore, Md
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is the 2nd (and last unless under absolute duress) time I have stayed at this hotel and there is no way it is a 4* hotel. The room was nice and clean. But it does not warrant anything more than 3 stars. We got to listen to the pinging of the elevator that we were right across from all night and then a very rude wake-up call at 7a due to the construction right outside our window. As such, I do not believe that the windows are sound proofed at all because I could not sleep during my prior visit due to street noise. It would have been nice if the staff advised us upon check in that there may be construction in the morning. And when we told the manager upon check out, she claimed that they didn't know either. Really?!?! The equipment outside did not appear out of thin air over night. And I am ok with construction during the work week. But not on the weekend. And with that, had they at least told us, it would have been better than just getting jolted awake after already having a hard enough time sleeping due to the noise from the elevators.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear dc_girly_girl,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with me. Excellence is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and product to provide a memorable experience for our valued guests.

The redesign project for the hotel is within a few days of completion however there is no excuse for work having interrupted your visit with us. I apologize. Consider a return visit and reach out to me personally if you are so inclined. Thank you.