“First time stay while on business”

The Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square
Ranked #30 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Petawawa, Canada
“First time stay while on business”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The only reason I gave it a very good was because of it's location in downtown Philadelphia, great location. Personally for the price, the bang was NOT there. No room fridge, the TV was a basic flat screen and the remainder of the furniture in the room was just average. Check my helpful comments ref this hotel. The attempt to make it look modern and tasteful was there but really i think it was misspent money by the owners.
The attached restaurants at the hotel were good. I would recommend them.

Room Tip: Some rooms have extremely small bathrooms. I am not a large guy but when i say small i really mean s...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Joanne-1Hotel, General Manager at The Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Rick A,
Thank you for the feedback on your recent experience at the hotel. I appreciate the shout out about our location and I couldn't agree more! Rick, all our rooms do have refrigerators in the credenza and I am sorry that this was missed during your stay. Please reach out and let us know when your plans bring you back to Philadelphia.
Joanne Cunningham, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed at the hotel for two nights for business.

Pros:
-Great location! Was able to walk to everything, get a cab to other areas.
-The staff. Hazel checked me in on the first day and she was more than happy to take care of me and answer my questions. Every time I had questions about the city they were quickly answered.
-The evening reception: had great appetizers and drinks. Great for a pre-dinner drink.
-Lobby: I know a lot of people were concerned regarding the historical nature of the reno, but I loved it! It was modern and sleek. The lobby was a perfect place to sit and relax.
-Rooms: I stayed in a king bed room. The room was great and quiet (except I was near an elevator). The water bottles provided were a nice touch.
-Business center: easy to print off things at anytime.

Cons:
-Breakfast: as someone in the business world, 6:30 is late to begin breakfast. I suggest an earlier start time. Especially when there were several of us waiting at 6:30 on the dot to grab something and head off to our meetings. Both days I did that and the hostess inside gave us rude looks and said "we aren't ready yet." I had read somewhere that a "grab and go" breakfast would be available, but when I asked the front desk, they suggested I go across the street to the diner which is 24 hours.
-Valet: I understand this may be separate from the hotel. The first day I needed my car out by 7 am. I was told by the valet the previous day to just text my car ID number and it would be waiting. I received a response that there were no valets to retrieve my car! I was so anxious. I went downstairs to speak with the valet. There is only one man working at this time and he told me they aren't technically "open." What does this mean for a 24/7 valet? The second day, I was retrieving my car and did the texting service again. This time, it said that it couldn't find my car! I went downstairs once again to speak with valet and he had no idea where my car was! Eventually the problem was resolved but still!
-Bathroom: like others have mentioned, the sink is HUGE and there is no counter space. Additionally, the drain in my bathroom would not drain. And the toilet made me nervous because it was such a slow flush.

Overall, a great hotel. For the cost, I would have expected more to go above and beyond. But you can't beat location and the amenities of the hotel.

Added comment for Joanne - I appreciate that you take the time to respond to each and every comment. However, you don't seem to take into consideration the negative comments and what you would do rectify the situation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Amanda S
Dear Amanda S,
Thank you for your long review. This was a lot of feedback and it provided great insight for me so thank you for taking the time to write this. You are absolutely correct that one of our two restaurants, The Coffee Bar or Tavern 17 should be open for breakfast prior to 630am. I will address and make some change there. However, please note there is a Grab and Run offering that is available on a complimentary basis daily from 5:00am until 6:30am right in the midst of the lobby. I will refresh this service with the team. Regarding the valet operation I hear your comment. We just started the text for vehicle system and have found some faults that need to be corrected. The provider is aware of the issues and is working through to a resolution that will ultimately exceed our guest expectations for valet parking service.

Amanda, again, thank you for this great feed and for the opportunity to recognize a Hazel, a true gem on our team.
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I can't help but respond with that title to an earlier reviewer's shock and disappointment that Radisson had brought the elegant Warwick into the 21st century. My wife and I, both of us into our 70's so not exactly Millenials who might be expected to be more into the "mod" lobby decor, couldn't have been more pleased with the hotel...including the decor. (If you're ever here, do take the time to read the unattributed story of "brotherly love" which is on the walls at either end of the lobby.)

We were only at the hotel for a night after choosing it for price and location (perfect) so we certainly can't judge it on anything other than a brief first impression, but from that we can say that the staff who we encountered were always smiling and friendly, the check-in process was smooth and easy, the room was clean and large enough, if not commodious, the bed was firm (the way we like it), the bathroom was updated, the towels were plush, etc. etc. That is to say, for someone staying at the hotel and not just experiencing a remodeled lobby that didn't suit their taste, the hotel was all that we could ask for.

Well, not quite. The view from our sixth floor window was into a brick wall...but we were in the room so little (only to sleep) that it hardly mattered. We will admit to parking at the garage across the street for just $21 a day when we read that the hotel's rates were significantly higher. And when we realized that the hotel didn't have a vending machine for a late evening snack we were "forced" to cross the street to get to "Little Pete's", a diner/coffee shop that was so un-elegantly "retro" (they only take cash, how retro is that?!) that maybe the reviewer who was "shocked and disappointed" by the Radisson Blu would have found something to like about it. (But probably not!) The grilled swiss on rye with bacon and tomato was to die for...and since I really shouldn't be eating either cheese or bacon I just might. They even deliver so they could well be the hotel's room service.

Bottom line. Probably not a five star experience, but certainly not a one star experience, so I'll give them five stars just to balance that earlier review as best I can. Would we stay here again. Most definitely! If only to return to Little Pete's!

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view, ask for a higher floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stratford64
Dear Stratford64,
As a senior contributor with having visited over 108 cities, you certainly have a bit of experience! Thank you for your review of the Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel I very much appreciate your comments! And I hope that when you do return to Philadelphia it is for a combination visit: a grilled sandwich and a room with a great skyline view. I look forward to your visit.
Joanne Cunnignham, General Manager
Washington DC
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stay here over the thanksgiving weekend and the hotel can not have been any better (except maybe upgrade to a suite.. ; )... The room was spacious and quiet (8th floor), and the staff very friendly and knowledgable about the area. I would def stay here again..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Joanne-1Hotel, General Manager at The Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear swedenmd:
Well I certainly hope you had your fill of good food and great time in Philadelphia over Thanksgiving weekend! Let me know when you travel plans bring you back as we have to outdo ourselves for your next stay!
Happy Holiday Season,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We have lived in Philadelphia for 20 plus years and always loved going to the Warwick for drinks, dinner, etc. because it was one of the most beautiful old hotels in the city with gorgeous woodwork, classic detail and elegance. Had not been there in a while but was excited to hear about the multi million dollar renovation because the hotel could have used a little sprucing up. So we decided to go to the hotel for a drink before having dinner in the city. When we walked in we were shocked!!!!! Every single piece of molding, classical columns , chandeliers were removed replaced by stark straight walls, no detail and the blue neon lights in the lobby. I have never seen such a beautiful old hotel destroyed like this, it's ambiance, it's historic significance, it's beauty and charm! We left immediately never to return again. Even our two 20 something children were horrified. Neon lights instead of culture and beauty??? Not for me. I cannot tell you how horrible this place is, even if we're a brand new modern hotel. I am heart sick about this.

Room Tip: Do not go!
Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzanne D
Dear Suzanne D,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our lobby renovation. Many of the items that you point out were not original to the building. Much research was done on preserving and enhancing what was native to the building and some examples include: the columns on the exterior (which were hidden by a large canopy constructed in the early 70's), the plaster molding and details on the walls and ceilings and my favorite, bringing life back to the two fireplaces that grace this beautiful space. I do appreciate your opinion and wish you a happy holiday.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

As a first time visit to Philly, the location of this hotel was great. Walking distance to most attractions, shopping and restaurants. For the hotel itself, from the lobby you can tell this is a modernized hotel. Shiny, clean and upgraded.
The pros:
-The staff were always friendly right from check in which was early and they had the room ready, to the maids and the bell hops. Always a smile.
- Room was the superior king, the bed was nice and comfortable on the firm side. Stylish room decor with a good use of space and functional layout
- Bathroom was new as well, large shower head with good pressure and new fixtures
- added touches that made this a great stay - complimentary bottle of water, shower caps, sewing kit, ear buds and nail file, and cotton pads for makeup removal. Really appreciated these

Cons:
- Bathroom is on the small side. The sink area was the biggest problem. The sink takes up all the counter space so it was hard to manouvre around it. Also the sink did not drain fast enough so had to keep water flow slow to give it time to drain. Not a huge deal, just a bit annoying
- they could do with upgrading the toilet paper - that was some cheap rough stuff (sorry had to go there )

Overall it was a great stay, no big flags and I would stay here again. Keep it up Radisson Blu!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear swedenmd,
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I am sorry for the delay in my response - here you stayed over Thanksgiving and now it is almost New Year's! Your comments was well received and I shared it with our team. Thank you and enjoy your holiday season.
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Watch your belongings very carefully here. My fiancé and I stayed there this weekend for a single night and my notebook computer was stolen out of the room. We drove in from Doyelstown for the night, and drove back again to try and work with the supervising manager to find the computer. It seemed there was not much anyone could do. The computer was under the bed. The manager questioned the service personnel that cleaned the room and she informed him that she "did not look under the bed". We thought that was strange considering its SOP. Filed a police report and the officer was useless. He did not even question any staff member then informed me we had to pay for a copy of the police report. I guess that's city policy.. Oh and if got a nice parking ticket while I was filling out the police report with the officer.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Ethan401
Dear Ethan401,
I know that you and I have already spoken about your claim earlier this week. Please feel free to reach out to me at anytime to discuss this personally. Thank you.