“After 40 years, I walked down memory lane through the South Mountain Reservation”

South Mountain Reservation
Ranked #3 of 15 things to do in West Orange
Delray Beach, Florida
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
Reviewed 23 July 2014

It was 40 years since I visited the "reservation"...as we refer to it. It brought back wonderful memories from my early life. was just like going home. it was then as it is now. By the way, this is not an Indian reservation.

The hiking paths wind through this mountain reservation along beautiful and peaceful pathways. Believe it or not, I hiked back to "the cliff" as I had enjoyed when I was twenty. It is the same natural beauty as it always was. It was great to see that South Mountain Reservation stayed as pristine and enjoyable as always. A little nostalgia is nice every once in a while. By the way, don't forget to bring your picnic basket.

Visited July 2014

South Orange, New Jersey
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Beautiful location with so many options for families, singles, and couples!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

South Mountain Reservation is a great place to go to get outdoors for a bit. It is over 2,000 acres and is located in Millburn, South Orange, and West Orange. Depending on where you enter, you will have a different experience. I highly recommend looking up a map of the Reservation so that you can have a better idea of where you want to go. The Reservation hosts hiking trails, picnic locations, views of Manhattan, paved paths for walking, jogging, and biking, carriage roads for horseback riding and cross-country skiing, Hemlock Falls, fishing at Diamond Mill Pond, an archery range, wildlife (birds, deer, etc.), and much more. The South Mountain Reservation area also hosts the Turtle Back Zoo, the Codey Arena (where the NJ Devils play), Orange Reservoir (with paddle boats), and other attractions.

When I was young, my family often went to the Reservation for picnics. It has great outdoor spaces for family reunions, etc. Now, my husband and I often walk along the trails off of South Orange Avenue (entrance on the south side of the road). After you park and walk a little bit, the paved road becomes closed to cars. We see families walking together. We see parents teaching their children how to ride bicycles. We see many joggers. Our area has plenty of foot traffic, but it never feels too crowded. We also drive up to the Reservation in West Orange to see the great view of Manhattan. I highly recommend going to the Reservation for a few hours (or more) with the family. It is a wonderful local place to go and get some fresh air!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Mabel8
West Orange, New Jersey
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A beautiful place to spend the day”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

What a beautiful place to spend time. It's great for families, friends and romantics. Beautiful grounds, good restaurant, boat ride ,miniature golf and for the children the Turtleback Zoo.the scenery is beautiful.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank grandmamarlene5
New Jersey
327 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 310 helpful votes
“Bike,Hike, Boat, Golf, Walk and Enjoy Essex County New Jersey”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

There are many parts to South Mountain Reservation. Today we walked around the reservoir with it's newly completed paved trail. There are small boats for hire but the walk was terrific. Many times we hike through the woods, along streams or by the waterfalls. Trails will remind you of a National Park. There are guided walks on weekends, led by knowledgable South Mt. Conservancy volunteers. There are picnic tables and plain and fancy restaurants nearby on South Orange Avenue and in Millburn center. We like to park at Locust Grove or Tulip Springs. For a fee, there is a zoo to visit or a mini golf course.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank travelingrm
Millburn, New Jersey
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great place for hiking”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Please help save our reservation. The reservation is a terrific spot of nature in one of the most densely populated areas of New Jersey. The Army Corps of Engineers is proposing a 70 foot high dam at the botto on the reservation that will ruin it. also, our County Executive has been building private recreation spots throughout the reservation. These are expensive and encroach on the natural beauty of the reservation. I would rather he spent the money on keeping the forests and the bridle paths in good condition.

Visited March 2014