“Great food, atmosphere needs slight improvements”
Review of China Gourmet

China Gourmet
Ranked #32 of 100 Restaurants in West Orange
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The food at China Gourmet is excellent! Every dish that I have had there has been delicious. Most recently ate a dish they call "Amazing Chicken" (it was) and WonTon Soup, also had Tangerine Beef not too long ago (also excellent). My family has dined there often, and everyone has always been very pleased with their meal. The service is fast and friendly. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner, and also does take out. Pricing is reasonable.
This restaurant has been there for several decades, and it is starting to show its age. It could use some cosmetic improvements inside and out. Some exterior cement work is cracked and needs repairs. The interior dining room is very nice, but is clearly a little past its prime and could use some sprucing up. However, the food is so good, it is easy to overlook some minor defects. Still, it would be great to see this restaurant back in its prime form. It really is some of the very best Chinese food around... highly recommended for great food... Enjoy!

1  Thank Lester242

Reviewed 17 September 2013

China Gourmet was not bad. We went for dim sum. What we had was mostly quite good. However, the problem was, you neeed to sit there for over an hour to get the variety. Well after we finished our meal; waitreses suddenly changed their old carts to add new, fresh, different dishes after an hour of bringing around the same dishes.
Also, some of hte other dishes may have been good, but the waitress' English wasn't good enough to make you understand what they were offering. Everything, no matter how different they looked, no matter how many clarification questions you asked, were pork, chicken ... Unfortunately for me, I was not with a very adventurous group, so chicken feet (which i personally like) and anything slightly gelatinous were out!
They had too many anonymous bread offereing and almost no vegetables - tofu is NOT a vegetable!
Overall, I enjoyed my food, and think I would've enjoyed it more with a different crew, and also with waiters that could've explained to my less adventurous table guests what was on the cart.
I'd go back.

1  Thank Amnesty1
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Friends raved about the restaurant's dim sum but I don't agree. The selection was limited and menu requests took forever to be served. We asked for noodles that seemed to be at every table and were refused.....that was indicative of the service which was perfunctory at best. We practically had to plead for explanations of what was on the cart. Also overpriced when you add it all up. Some items were good but nothing was amazing.

2  Thank Nava1203
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Our lunch today was at China Gourmet in West Orange. It was a splendid dimsum restaurant and we were stuffed as usual. My favorite among the dimsum we ordered were the shrimp puffs. The dimsum was good but the salted fish fried rice and the Guangzhou fried noodles were a far cry from the ones of Sweet Dynasty back in Taipei. My sister N. claims, though, that this is already the best dimsum they have in that corner of NJ.

1  Thank Jeffrey L
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Some friends brought us to China Gourmet using a restaurant.com coupon. Right away they looked askance at us.

They serve some of the best Chinese food anywhere, including NYC. They have the best tasting ribs, excellent soups, and chow fun noodles that rival anything I've tasted in Chinatown. They also are among the few restaurants where you can get some really good Peking Duck.

While the food is great, the atmosphere is not. The service is not up to the quality of the food. They seem to be preoccupied with something else, I just don't know what that something else is.

Because the coupon required a certain amount of spending they kept reminding us how much more we had to go in order to use the coupon.

I've been back several times with different people and the results always seem the same. While the food is very good the overall experience of dining there leaves something to be desired.

1  Thank cheapcruiser