“Happy to be there”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
Sonoma, California
“Happy to be there”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I share the view of several other visitors, this is a nice hotel! The room was very comfortable and clean. The breakfast was quite good and the evening socials were likewise very nice. I enjoyed meeting the managers and the foot was well prepared. I was staying at the Residence Inn on business and the staff was very responsive to my needs. I do have to add that the wi-fi was sporatic and unpredictable. The only real nuisance in my stay was that I could hear everything that the visitor in the next suite said. To be fair, it sounded as if she had just left a bad relationship and had moved out but was still have conversations about it. A the top of her decibel range just under what could be termed as shouting. I know all htis because it sounded like she was in the same room with me. These things happen occasionally but it is a shame that such a beautiful property has some sound shielding issues. I did use the pool during my stay and it was very nice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
GMWestOrangeRIBM, General Manager at Residence Inn West Orange, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel! We take our guest's opinions very seriously and appreciate knowing what we do well and how we may improve. We hope to have the honor of being your host again in the future.

Cathy Hart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, UK
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived for our 9 day stay. The hotel presents very well, upscale and new inside and out. The stay were very helpful and courteous at all times. The room was the best hotel room we've had, very spacious with a kitchenette and a sofa bed for our son, two tvs and a dining table.
The cleaning staff were maybe a little too attentive, and there should be an option to not get the room cleaned everyday.
There is free wifi which worked great for me anywhere in the hotel, even the laundry room which also has a kids room. They could maybe get a few more toys there. The gym was great, perhaps the kids room could ajoin it as a suggestion. The pool was also great with a spa and was empty a lot of the time except weekends it got a little busier. It was never truly busy as with other hotels even on the weekend when the parking lot looked fuller. The rooms are private. Breakfast was excellent, buffet style with many choices. One additional thing we had never seen before was dinner served in the dining room for guests on three week nights, probably their quieter nights but it was an outstanding free perk, meant we didn't need to go to the grocery store as much. Which I admit the main downfall is location with this hotel, there is no bus down prospect ave and no footpaths some of the way. So if you don't have a car its a bit isolating. If you have a car its no problem as Montclair and West Orange shops are minutes away. Would definetely recommend this hotel, especially if you need a longer stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank UKCathy
GMWestOrangeRIBM, General Manager at Residence Inn West Orange, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel. I am delighted you stayed with us for over a week and that you were happy with your stay. As you probably realize, we are more of a "long term" hotel deisigned for those folks staying 5 or more nights. I am glad we were able to meet your needs during your extended stay.

Please know we are always here to be your "home away from home" should you have the need again!

Pittsburgh
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel, the property is well maintained and has an upscale look. The breakfast area is super! The breakfast is above average with a good selection. The service is outstanding. If visiting NYC ask John for help, his recommendations are spot on!! The only bad part is the WiFi. It's awful, I mean really bad. It's so bad that it may deter any further stays at the hotel. When it does connect , it's slower than slow!

• Stayed August 2013
While we always love hearing favorable comments about our hotel, we certainly appreciate you sharing the things you were not satisfied with too. We try our best to learn from our mistakes.

Our Wifi is indeed in need of an upgrade. We are in the process of taking bids for this and will have implemented no later than the end of the year. I hope if your travels bring you back to West Orange you will try us out again.

Arlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Four of us stayed here for two nights. Carol at the front desk spent a lot of time making sure that we got a room with two separate beds so my kids could be comfortable. The kids ended up in an enormous one bedroom suite (kitchen, bathroom, living room, large bedroom) and we had a studio suite down the hall -- all on the third floor.The rooms were very clean and the hotel staff was great. The breakfast was expansive but not exactly delicious. The hotel staff at breakfast did everything they could for you. I recommend the make-your-own waffles or yogurt. The view from our window was grass and trees. There's a golf course next door. The indoor pool is nice. The hotel is in a good location -- near Montclair and several stores and restaurants. You do hear noise from the rooms next to you but the hotel has a strict policy against partying and they enforce it.

Room Tip: I liked the view facing the golf course.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor! I am delighted Carol was able to accommodate your family the way you wanted. She is indeed an important part of our team and truly cares about each and every guest! We hope we have the opportunity to e your host again.

Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I just returned from a three-night stay in one of the larger rooms there (not a studio suite). A full-size refrigerator-freezer, a microwave, a small dishwasher, 4 burners, and a wine rack were in the kitchen, as well as enough utensils, glasses, plates, and bowls for four; there were even a few different pots and pans and other useful items (vegetable peeler, corkscrew, etc.). There was plenty of space for two people (I think four would be a tight fit, but I don't like close quarters at any time). A table tucked into a corner had two chairs. The furniture was comfortable, though not always brand-new in appearance, but then this hotel has been open for some years. The bed was firm but not excessively so, and I appreciated the desk in the bedroom. There was a large closet between the bedroom and the bathroom. Water pressure was excellent in my third-floor room, as was the air conditioning. Breakfast was far more extensive than most hotel offerings I've seen recently. There were always a few hot entrees (scrambled eggs, biscuit-sausage-egg sandwiches, and turkey Canadian bacon seemed popular). There was also oatmeal, several cold cereals, make-your-own mini waffles, yogurt, fruit (fresh as well as canned/frozen), bagels, pastries, bread for toasting, coffee, and a choice of quite a number of different types of tea bags.

This hotel is pet-friendly; I've never seen so many dogs in one hotel before, but most were well-behaved. Note that this place is much larger than it appears at first, and it's easy to get a bit lost initially. Because it is next door to an event hall and not far from a second one, the hotel is very popular with event guests (there is a "no party" policy in the hotel, thank goodness!). Located just off busy Prospect Avenue, this Residence Inn is very convenient to a Whole Foods Market, and many other local businesses are a short hop. Every member of the staff I encountered was polite, with one exception.

The sole problem I encountered was in trying to extend my stay. I was not at the hotel when I tried to do this. I called and got a woman at the front desk. I was asked to hold for a minute, as the front desk agent was helping another customer. I waited ten minutes and was then disconnected. I called again and got someone else, who was very abrupt with me. With this exception, I can find no fault with my stay. If you are staying in the area, I can recommend this Residence Inn.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet room, ask for one at the back of the hotel (facing away from Prospect...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
GMWestOrangeRIBM, General Manager at Residence Inn West Orange, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you so very much for staying at our hotel while you were in West Orange! There are many other choices so we feel lucky you selected us. I am happy that most of your experience with us was a good one. I certainly apologize that when you were calling our Front Desk we did not interact with you in the best of ways. We take pride in having a proven record for high guest satisfaction but obviously missed that mark with you.

I hope the next time you are in our area you will again choose us. We would love the opportunity to show you we know how to do it right from start to finish.

Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed one night on our long drive back from DC to NH. We were greeted with great customer service. Our room was on the second floor not far from the lobby and was impeccable. Like other reviewers, this hotel if gorgeous like a country club. The center courtyard has wonderful tables to sit and relax at as well as there is a pool, hot tub, exercise room, laundry and kids playroom inside the hotel. There is a bar on the first level available the second half of the week.

Free wifi and breakfast included, breakfast was excellent with a great variety of hot and cold items and the hearth room is beautiful. Very clean room, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel. As you can imagine, customer feedback is vital for us to know how we are doing and how we need to improve.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sharing your comments with the rest of our team.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This place was beautiful inside and out. The rooms were extremely spacisous, clean and comfortable. I had a 1 bedroom suite on the first floor. The staff were always friendly when they saw me and extremely helpful and curteous. My only issue during my stay was there were noisey children outside of my room (1st floor facing the courtyard) who kept playing right near my window. They totally destroyed the flower bed SMH but that was of no fault of the hotel. A small but great thing about this hotel was the heater in the bathroom. OMG after a dip in the pool or a shower the heater became my best friend. There was a strip mall about two minutes up the street and Essex Green shopping center is about five minutes away (by car). I have loved ones in the area so this is going to be my hotel of choice whenever I go visit. Keep up the good work guys. I'll see you soon.

Room Tip: Just a heads up, I did not get good cell phone reception on the first floor near the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Thank you so very much for your terrific comments and constructive feedback about your stay at our hotel. I am sorry that you experienced some noise issues! We actually did have to replace several flowers in the courtyard. We hope you will choose us again should you have a need in West Orange in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Orange
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk

Been to Residence Inn West Orange? Share your experiences!