“Good Local Place that is Nice to Tourists.”

SuzyQue's BBQ & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
SuzyQue's BBQ & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 97 Restaurants in West Orange
Price range: US$10 - US$29
Cuisines: Bar, Grill, American, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: SuzyQue’s offers a unique blend of southern BBQ. We draw from the flavors of Tennessee, Texas and North Carolina to create our own special delicacies. We use only the finest premium meats slow smoked in our state-of-the-art smoker with our own exclusive blend of rubs made in house. All our BBQ is available dry rubbed, simply seasoned, and smoked, or with one of our homemade sauces. We are committed to using only the best ingredients and cooking low and slow with real hickory, apple, cherry and oak. In the world of BBQ the pink smoke ring is one of the most sought after properties of smoked meats and the pit masters sign of excellence.
Basking Ridge, New Jersey, United States
“Good Local Place that is Nice to Tourists.”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Nice local place for the residents to go and have a great meal. Everyone is in jeans and shorts. Just a good hang out for a seafood meal.

The New England Clam Chowder was thick and very good. The fried clams were delicious but there were only 9 on my plate. The clam strips my wife had were much better. The cole slaw was creamy and delicious.

All in all, nice place to stop in for a meal with the family. The shark coming out of the front of the restaurant adds to the theme!

To my followers:

BYOB
Some of the best New England Clam Chowder I've had in a long time.
Watch the locals driving around the parking lot. If they drive crazy, just let them go.

New Jersey
“Had a great meal!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We went on a Wednesday night with a Groupon. First off, when you get out of your car, you smell the wonderful fragrance of the meat being smoked! We were greeted immediately at the door and were seated at a nice table in the solarium area of the restaurant. The tables are simple, with a spindle holding a roll of paper towels - very handy! Our waitress came right over, and instead of the beer or wine offered with the Groupon, we both had diet sodas, which she kept refilling whenever our glasses were empty. We also asked for water with lemon, and she brought over a cup full of lemon slices, in case we wanted some for our sodas, as well. Very thoughtful.

We started with the "potato chips" appetizer, which is really potato skins, but loaded with cheese and bacon - really good! For my meal, I ordered the combo platter, and I can honestly say it was wonderful. I know some people complained that their brisket was dry, but mine was perfect. And the flavor of each of the different meats was so good, you didn't even need to add any of the bar-b-que sauces. I did try all four of the sauces, though, and I liked the molasses and vinegar one the best. For sides, I had the beans (very good), and the mac n' cheese, which was probably the best mac n' cheese I've ever had, and I would go back just to be able to eat it again! My husband ordered his meal with sweet potato fries, and asked for them well done, and they came out super-crispy. Surprisingly, the only thing that was so-so was the corn muffin - it was quite dry.

We had arrived around 6:30, and they hold poker games there at 7:30 on Wednesdays, so by the time we left, it had gotten crowded. The restaurant itself is like your basic neighborhood sports bar. But I went there not to see a pretty decorations, but to eat good bar-b-que, and my mission was accomplished. One caveat - the portions are huge, so you'll probably end up bringing home leftovers - enough for another meal. We'll definitely be going again soon.

1 Thank swinsonm1
Livingston, NJ
“Pleasant Surprise in Area without Many Restaurant Options”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We attend the Luna Theater In West Orange often and have not been able to find a restaurant we liked in the area. When we saw this restaurant listed on GROUPON, I checked the reviews and although they were mixed, I took a chance. It turned out to be one of the best purchases I have made on GROUPON. The service was excellent. Not only did the hostess immediately seat us in a lovely room with large windows, our server, Linda, could not have been more pleasant and eager for us to have an excellent dining experience. My husband's beef ribs were very good and the quality of my salmon was really amazing, especially since this is a barbecue place. The portions were extremely large and nicely presented, Some of the reviews said the place was not that nicely decorated, but we felt it was attractive, clean and in very well-kept up. The people at the table next to us ordered the ribs. raved about them and wound up having to take almost half home, giving them an additional delicious dinner the next night.
There is no doubt that we will be having all our dinners at SuzyQue's whenever we attend a performance at the nearby theater.

Ridgewood, NJ
“True smoke aroma and flavor in NJ”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We decided to visit SusyQue for some BBQ but were not expecting true smoked goodness. As we exited the car in the parking lot, we got the first indication of a good experience. We could smell the pit BBQ and anticipated the smoky goodness of slow cooked meat.

I ordered the combo platter of two types of ribs, a little brisket, some pulled pork and smoked chicken wings. My wife order the 1/2 rack of baby backs. We were told before ordering that there is no sauce on the meat and that there is a dry rub followed by slowing cooking.

All the meat had a crust of dry rub and everything had the true take of smoke. There are 4 sauces available to add back some of the juicy that has been removed by the cooking process. There is a slighlty sweet, slightly spicy sauce with the emphasis on slightly, there was a Kansas stype tomato based sauce that was good, a molasses based sauce that is an acquire taste and a Vinegar base sauce.

The St. Louis ribs and baby backs were tender and filled with the smokey taste of the cooking. A bit dry but could be revived with the right sauce. The brisket was similar being slightly dry but moist enough and tender enough to have it pass the grade. The two stars were the pulled pork which was outstanding and the smoked chicken wings, Both were moist and pack with flavor. My sides were collards and coleslaw. The collards were slow cooked and tender but very salty having but treated to a large handful of the salty rub on the meat. The coleslaw was of the creamy type and okay.

My wife's sides were the sweet potato fries and baked beans. The fries were limp not appealing, so much so, that we sent them back as unacceptable. The replacement white potato fries arrived hot and were better. The baked beans on the other hand were excellent and warrant inclusion with all future meals.

There was enough food so that dessert was not in sight but there looked like there were some good choices.

The interior is part bar/part restaurant and has a very neighborly friendly atmosphere. Service was friendly and added to the atmosphere of the place.

• Visited June 2014
New Bedford, Massachusetts
“Awful!!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I can say, without hesitation or reservation, this was the worst dining experience I have ever had in a restaurant - or anywhere else for that matter. I hardly know where to begin....

The atmosphere - In a word, dingy. I had a bad feeling the moment I walked in. The place felt uninviting and it was very worn and unkempt. The wooden part of the walls were marred. The whole place needs a redo. The menus were old and worn. With wooden covers that had clearly seen better days, the paper pages were covered in plastic - they were disgusting. You'd want to wash your hands after touching them!

The service - it was slow and at the same time hurried. Our waitress was eager to take our order. We ordered an appetizer and martinis (more on the cocktails later) and explained that we'd like to enjoy those before placing our dinner order. Nonetheless, she kept coming to the table to ask, "Are you ready yet?" Once our order was placed, she just disappeared. I might add, we were the only table she was waiting on. We asked for small plates for our shared appetizer. They arrived after we finished the appetizer. Once the meal arrived, we never saw her again 'til we were just about done with our meal. (For me, that was about 30 seconds after it arrived.)

The food - Gross. I cannot think of a positive thing to say about the meal. My husband and I decided to share a wild mushroom quesadilla as appetizer. That was probably the best part of the food we were served. It was heavy on cheese and light on mushrooms. It was supposed to come with salsa. We never got any but we also couldn't get the waitress's attention to ask for what was missing.
On the recommendation of the waitress, my husband and I both ordered combination platters. It consisted of various barbequed meats and two sides - we both opted for macaroni and cheese and sweet potato fries. The "meals" arrived on what looked to be old aluminum pizza pans. There was a puddle of grease in the bottom of the pan. All of the meat was tough, dried out and tasted like it had been reheated repeatedly. The macaroni was also swimming in grease and it seemed like the "cook" threw a lot of shredded cheese on old macaroni and reheated it. Blah! The fries had to have been made earlier in the day. Cold, dry and inedible! The cornbread was a mini-muffin that was dried out and stale. I guess I had one bite of everything and declared my meal over.

The beverages - As I mentioned, we ordered martinis when we arrived. It took a very long time for them to arrive at the table and the waitress came back to the table twice to ask how we wanted them prepared (up, dry, lemon, rocks on the side... not hard) When the martinis finally arrived, what a disappointment. Despite the fact that they have a number of martini drinks on their drink menu, they only had one martini glass. (Keep in mind, there were only a few people in the restaurant and two men drinking beer at the bar.) My husband's martini was served in a wine glass. When I pointed out to our waitress that there was HAIR on the rim of my husband's glass, she picked it off and began to walk away. I had to ask her to please bring a fresh glass. The second glass was a margarita glass ...whatever. The martinis were watered down and not cold. The lemon was clearly not fresh. At this point in time I asked my husband if he wanted to leave and go elsewhere. Since we'd not ordered our entrees I was ready to cut our losses but he opted to stay. We both had beer with the meal. I ordered a second since I wasn't eating very much.

The bill - This was the final shock of a pretty shocking meal. We went to this restaurant because we had a Groupon for which we paid $29 - for 2 entrees and 2 glasses of beer or wine - that seemed like a very good deal! I believe the price on the menu for the meals we ordered was $29 each. When the bill came we owed a whopping $40 for the app ($10), 2 very small watered-down martinis ($8 each) and almost $6 for a small draft beer. They noted on the bill, the total for the meal had we not had the Groupon would have been $99 and change - plus tip, of course. Seriously?? We could have gone to the Highlawn Pavillion for the special dinner in the bar, spent less and had good food and drinks.

In conclusion - I derive absolutely no pleasure from writing negative reviews. I do so to alert others so they won't waste money and have an unpleasant dining experience. This restaurant needs to be avoided. Don't bother buying the Groupon and for goodness sake, don't eat there! I'm just grateful that I didn't get sick.

• Visited May 2014