“Not as outstanding as expected, but still very good~”

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
West Orange, NJ
“Not as outstanding as expected, but still very good~”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here with a gift certificate for one night. We have family members that raved about the place, so we were excited to stay here. Check in was no problem, but,when we got to our room, it was very warm, over 80 degrees, and every drawer in the room was open, the fridge open, etc... it was a weird welcome. What I did like was that the hotel tries to reduce their carbon footprint by using ecologically minded products. The bathroom products were a nice touch. There were two weddings going on, but it was not too noisy for the amount of people in the hotel. The one thing that was very annoying, but hopefully has been fixed is that the TV service was being worked on the entire time we were there,(at least that is what we were told was the reason our TV service was so poor) so we could not watch TV at all. At breakfast there was a staff member who was a little rude to us as well. There is no swimming pool, which we were kind of disappointed about. Upon checking out, I did inform the clerk of my concerns when she asked how our stay was. I waited a week or so to post this review, hoping that the manager might call, but did not. Overall, it is still a very good hotel in West Orange, reasonably priced and mostly friendly staff. We are locals and it is nice to have a successful, classy business in town, I am just really picky.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sondra P
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear SondraP,

I am afraid that I am actually more disappointed than you regarding your stay. Suffice it to say I owe you a free night in the future. I ask that you contact me directly to take advantage of this offer. You clearly did not get an inspected guestroom. I will investigate why, in the meantime I'd like to explain the reason for the open drawers & refrigerator: you see as part of our housekeeping process, our housekeepers leave the drawers, cabinet, & refrigerator doors open once cleaned. As the room is inspected to be "guest ready" the inspector insures the drawers etc. are clean and then shuts them. This insures we're truly inspecting every nook & cranny of space. This is an old north Jersey trick many are not aware of except for the folks I've worked with elsewhere.

I'm glad to see our eco-friendly amenities made you feel good about us. We feel good about our strides to reduce our carbon foot print as well and there's more to come!

Regarding our TV issues, in the last two weeks we have undergone the integration of state of the art High Def Software that was supposed to take three days to install. It took two solid weeks. I am so sorry. The good news is that we're now up & running. Featuring more than 55 Hi Def channels and another 25 analog that are not broadcast in HD and No Repeats. We also now have free on demand HI DEF TV as well as first run Pay Movies & Free HBO in HD. I'm happy to announce that we are in fact the first hotel in our market to offer the Lodgenet HD Envision Smart TV Service where one can check their email as well surf the net all done with the remote control OR by your very own smartphone. All this and no additional charge to our guest!

Sondra, please accept my apologies for not getting back to you and DO please call me to take advantage of my free night offer. As far as I'm concerned, we did miss the mark this time and we owe you one.

Most Sincerely,

Ed Reagoso - General Manager & Ownership Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel last night with my parents in one of the hotel's 'suites...' a seperate room with a lovely queen bed and a pull out couch in the 'living' area for me...

not only was the mattress paper thin but the bed sheets hadn't been changed! There were a few long black pubic hairs under the top sheet (aparently the maid made the bed but couldn't be bothered to change the sheets).

The bathroom was a mess and the decor was cheap cheap cheap...do not stay here, you'll get more for your money, plus clean sheets @ Howard Johnson...

• Stayed August 2012
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear afkm122480,

I personally apologize for your alleged experience with us. I am a bit miffed however since we have no record of this complaint at all, by anyone. It's a serious allegation that we don't take lightly but I've exhausted my research. I could not find any record of a name with any similarity to your initials and your review was a private mobil posting complicating my communication with you even further. Normally we would hear of such a serious complaint immediately. Clearly this is not the case with you. Please have either one of your parents contact me directly to discuss the matter and if justified I will gladly consider some type of compensation but at this time I don't know who, when, or even what room you might have stayed in.

Please feel free to contact me in regards to this issue,

Most appreciated,

Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Normally stay at the courtyard. Never again. This little hotel lives up to its Grand name. It is lovely. The beds are comfortable, the food was fresh, the place was clean. The staff are friendly. We just had one incident where an over zealous desk clerk became animated on the phone to a colleague. He began raising his voice while reiterating a story about a guest who had been rude. The guest was out of order but using foul language in front of children was not the right thing for the desk clerk to do. He did apologise but then started to justify his behavior. There was no excuse he could have given that would make me condone that language. He was very nice and friendly though as we're the rest of the staff.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor. I will update you as I stay more.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SuMellor24
Dear SuMellor24,

Thank you for this wonderful review. Yes, I said wonderful! I would like you to know that prior to the posting of this review the team member in question held himself completely accountable and owned up to his strident behavior and threw himself on the proverbial sword. I believe we all agree about his poor judgement. Believe me, it created bad feelings for all of us and especially for him, before I even spoke with him. He has been held accountable and I can assure you this was a one-time incident. In light of everything else going so well, I hope that you will let me know the next time you're in so I can either upgrade you to a suite or allow me to offer you dinner? You have given ten reviews on TripAdvisor. Your word is golden to my team & I and we thank you for your candor & your loyalty to our own brand.

Most sincerely,
Niceville, Florida, United States
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My family and I very much enjoyed our stay at the Wilshire Grand! We booked a double superior room and a king superior room for our party, and both were spectacular. The beds were a dream, very soft pillow top mattress and amazingly comfortable pillows. The rooms were clean and spacious, and the amenities were great! One thing I really loved about the room were the heavy curtains, making it possible for us to sleep in after a long week of traveling without the morning light keeping us up. A number of toiletries were provided, free WiFi and cable was offered, and the breakfast was amazing! There was a great selection of breakfast foods, including sausage, eggs, waffles, biscuits, oatmeal, fruit, cereal, and a number of juices. The hotel was very beautiful: the lobby, breakfast area, and the patio were aesthetically pleasing. The customer service was mostly perfect, the reservations were very easy to make and the agent was very helpful in making sure we had everything we need (in our case a crib was provided that proved very sturdy and comfortable for our little one). Check in was very easy, and the staff was very friendly. The restaurant Primavera was one of the highlights of our stay. The restaurant is not scheduled to open until 12, but when we called at 11:20 to ask if we would be able to be seated immediately so we could eat before heading to our flight (which left at 2) we were told they could go ahead and take us over half an hour early for lunch! They were very accommodating and helpful! The restaurant was very nice, and the food WAS AMAZING. Between the four of us we enjoyed two different types of ravioli, the pizza, and the tortelloni. The entrees were spectacular, as was the bread and the salads we were served with the meal. The wait staff was very friendly and helpful, and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole dining experience. I would highly recommend both this hotel as well as the restaurant Primavera.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kymberli R
Dear Kymberli R,

Wow...I am so thrilled with your review. Reviews like yours make it all worthwhile! My team and I take TripAdvisor Reviews very seriously. And to get one like this from a seasoned traveler and TripAdvisor Senior Reviewer just solidifies our posture in caring about our guests and our business. We don't profess to be perfect . We do profess to be better than our brand name competitors and reading this review in your words makes me truly happy with my teams effort and our resolve to do things well and to make our guests truly feel at home.

Thank you Kindly for letting us know how we measured up!

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

My family and I are always looking for new places to see within a few hours drive of our home. When I saw an offer for a midweek deal for this hotel, I checked the reviews here, then looked to see if there were any attractions nearby that we might enjoy. First of all, our stay was perfect. Everything was immaculate, from the room itself, to the lobby and hallways. Staff was friendly and helpful. There was a nice variety of items available for breakfast, for our 2 days there were pastries, bagels (warm and fresh!), cereal, waffles, breakfast sandwiches and more. What we had was very good. And we loved coming back in the late afternoon to freshly popped popcorn! We also enjoyed a nice dinner at the adjoining Italian restaurant, which was reasonable for fine dining, plus when we were there they had Smithwicks and Blue Moon on tap among others. As far as the attractions that we visited, Thomas Edison National Park was only a short drive and was awesome. We were able to visit his home as well. Also, the hotel is located in a nice area which has some of the most beautiful parks I have ever seen, especially Verona Park (which is just up the street). Great for bird watching, nature photography and hiking. I understand there is also a zoo nearby. We hope to return next year and possibly add a ferry trip to Ellis Island and Liberty Island.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NWKW
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear NWKW,

My team and I so appreciate your wonderful review. It's no secret around here - we strive to always be the best in the market and have succeeded since February 2008 as our TripAdvisor guests have testified! I'd say, based on the traveling you did while here you got to know the area pretty darn well. You do have to get to Turtle Back Zoo and Ellis Island. The Statue of Liberty is and Liberty Science Center are both just minutes away. Please contact me directly on your next visit so I may have an opportunity to thank you in person for your friendship & loyalty.

East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We recently stayed three nights at the Wilshire Grand for our son's wedding which was also held at the adjoining banquet facility. Everything was wonderful although I have two minor complaints. The air conditioning was not turned on in our room upon check in and it was a sweltering 85 degrees in the room. We had a number of guests (we had blocked 30+ rooms) checking in on Saturday and most of their rooms were not cooled either although we did mention it to the front desk early that morning to be sure that the rooms were cooled. Also, the breakfast on Friday and Saturday morning was wonderful. Sunday morning it was not good at all. You would think that with the hotel sold out Saturday night the breakfast would have been something a bit better than bisquits and gravy, waffles (Which are available every day), bananas and oranges and cereal and some bagels and pastries. No cut up fruit, no yogurt. On Thursday morning we had scrambled eggs and bacon and cut up fruit, yogurts and the baked goodies, on Friday morning, there was french toast and sausage and the fresh fruit and yogurt. It was very disappointing to our guests the lack of selection for breakfast. All in all it was a wonderful stay and the wedding at the adjacent banquet hall was fabulous. I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear Tcmel,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We much appreciate it. We have been rated # 1 in West Orange since February 2008 and we are always interested in what our guests have to say. We appreciate the wonderful rating you gave us. I would like to comment on the two minor issues that you have noted. First, regarding the room being 85 degrees when you arrived: As a reminder, we were right in the middle of a pretty horrific summer heatwave. I don't doubt that your room was warm though I might participate in a friendly challenge that perhaps it wasn't quite 85 degrees. For energy conservation reasons our guestrooms when vacant, are automatically programmed with a preset temperature based on the season and ambient outside temperature. We do not pre-cool any rooms as we have all electric air conditioning in all of our guestrooms and each room is individually controlled by thermostats with controls that change the temperature after int's been vacant for about a half hour. We rarely get complaints about this energy conservation program. Typically, in summer months we keep the thermostats set at 78 degrees, the rooms cool very quickly as you personally experienced once you changed the temperature setting yourself. I do of course apologize for any inconvenience this caused. I do want to remind any reader however that it was 96 degrees that afternoon. In this day & age I feel it might be a bit irresponsible of us to keep vacant rooms cooler than really needed, especially if a room is vacant for more than 24 hours. Regarding our breakfast, we do in fact have a daily, rotating, breakfast menu. Some items such as cereals, waffles, bagels, pastries, & muffins are on every day. We also rotate fruit choices daily which is why you saw only oranges & bananas on Sunday morning. Our southern biscuits & gravy are usually a home run so I apologize that the Sunday breakfast menu was a disappointment for you. I do agree with you that Yogurt should be available every day and thanks to your comments I have re-geared our breakfast to insure yogurts are in fact available each and every day now. I thank you for reaching out to us on TripAdvisor. Finally, I would like to offer best wishes to your son & his wife on their new life together! We really do appreciate being part of it and when you come back to revisit family or friends in West Orange, I hope you will contact me personally so I may do something special for helping us continue to improve our product & service offering!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel truly lives up to it's #1 status on this website. My wife and I were recently married at the Wilshire Grand Hotel and had the BEST time of our lives.
Our wedding was absolutely amazing and the staff at the Wilshire Grand made everything greater than we could have ever imagined. Going above and beyond is the culture at this hotel and the staff treated us and our guests like we were family- by the time we left we actually felt as though we were! Ed, the General Manager, was extremely attentive and ensured that our stay was beyond perfect.
Entering our room, we were pleasantly surprised to find a trail of rose petals leading to a multi-jet jacuzzi complete with rubber duckies and iced champagne waiting for us! We couldn't believe it! Everything was spotless and clean, the amenities and bed were top notched and we slept like babies after a long night of partying.
Our guests were also very happy with their rooms and especially mentioned how cheerful and caring the hotel staff was in tending to all of their needs. Like us, they too felt as though they were in a warm, welcoming home rather than a hotel. The patio in the back was PERFECT for relaxing together with drinks and there's even a fenced in dog run for guests with dogs (though no one brought theirs).
Though we didn't wake up in time, we heard the hotel's breakfast was delicious with fresh fruit, pastries, oatmeal, and even Belgian Waffles! We did get to enjoy the juice and coffee machines in the lobby though. Our little cousins loved watching the turtles and fish in the giant tank behind the front desk too (as well as eating all the goodies in the snack shop). The hotel also offered bicycles for anyone who wanted to ride them, though we didn't have the time to do so. We will definitely try them next time!
I highly recommend this AMAZING hotel and we cannot wait to re-visit our extended family in West Orange!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the Suites or a room toward the back on the hotel that looks out on the beautiful gar...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bruce63
, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2012
Dear Bruce63,

Thank you so very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. My team & I are so happy to have been part of such an important event of yours. We work diligently to insure that every guests stay is better than they expected it to be whether it's one single room or a large group like yours. It is great to hear from you again and I thank you for letting us know how much it means to you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Orange
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!