“Wonderful Time”

GreenLeadersGold level
So. NJ
“Wonderful Time”
Reviewed 7 April 2008

Stayed here with wedding party and guests. Couldn't be happier.
Spotless, dedicated staff, wonderful accommodations.
Wedding Eve dinner at Primavera, morning brunch in Regency Room. All to perfection!!!

Thank you Wilshire Grand!!!

Stayed April 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
New Jersey
Reviewed 26 March 2008

What was supposed to be a nice overnight stay last weekend to celebrate my Anniversary, was anything but.

First upon check-in, my wife and I ended being switched to three (3) different rooms because the first two were not ready for occupation. This was despite the fact the front desk indicated they were. In fact, when we went into the first room, another guests things were still there!!!

Because of the second room mess up, we were upgraded to a suite. Great you may say???...fat chance!!! The things my wife and I discovered between that evening and the next morning was ridiculous. People may ask, why I didn't call the front desk again? I told the front desk the next morning that if I had to call them again (and probably moved to a 4th room as a result), my wife and I would have left the night we arrived. I wanted to give my wife as nice as Anniversary as possible and I wanted to try and make the best of things despite being upset.

In essence of not being long winded as to what we found, these are the additional problems my wife and I encountered:

1) Heating system inefficient and very loud (kept us up)
2) Heat did not work in bathroom or jacuzzi area
3) Heard footsteps from guest above us and other noises (thin walls)
4) Heard people in the middle of the night arguing and making other commotion
5) Room didn't have CD player despite it was supposed to have one
6) Hotel was always cold
7) Room was cold upon arrival (all rooms)
8) Drain stopper in bathroom didn't work
9) Very poor lighting in room
10) Toilet stuffed up
11) Breakfast was cold (even though items were in a "heated" tray) and not a single fork was available
........and last but least and the most disturbing............................................
12) The next morning, I found dried urine on the back of the toilet seat...that's right folks, you heard right.

Obviously, we were so disgusted and left early that morning. We received 1/2 off our bill and we will never set foot in the Wilshire Grand "Hood" Hotel again!!!

Disgusted and Grossed Out in New Jersey

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank savedntime
service1, Managing Partner & General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2008
Dear Traveler,

Even with the finest tuned of machinery there is an occasional misfire and attention needed to continue running at 100%. My staff as well as myself, offer our most sincere apologies to any traveler - ever, that has issues regarding a stay with us, regardless of how big or small. Whether it is a stay for one night or a stay of thirty nights our apologies are genuine and heartfelt. This is our business and we take every guests comments constructively.

I have credited the credit card for the balance remaining that was charged and as well, I have personally sent a "Complimentary Gift Certificate" for another free night in hopes that you & your wife will give us another opportunity to show that this was in fact, not a typical stay at The Wilshire Grand Hotel. Every item of concern noted has been addressed with my management staff.

As the operating partner in our business, I take every service concern brought to my attention seriously and actively to prevent any said issues from ever happening again. We are the preferred hotel in West Orange, New Jersey and have been rated #1 in West Orange with TripAdvisor since October 2007.
The reason for this is our commitment to service. I trust your next stay with us will be very different - in fact, I'll stake my reputation of twenty plus years on it!

Ed Reagoso,
Managing Partner & General Manager

(Copy of letter sent directly on 3/31/2008)
Boston
Reviewed 15 March 2008

This hotel could teach the chains a thing or two. Management clearly sweats the details and delivers quality and value. My family stayed only one night, but found our experience most satisfactory.

Room: Larger than expected, with very comfortable double beds, large bathroom, and usual TV/safe/small desk/coffeemaker. The room was immaculate. The furnishings, particularly the mattresses, were one step above the norm in quality. The room was large enough to accommodate another chair or a small settee. Small quibbles - room did not have the extra towel and extra glass for our third person.

Services: We made good use of the free internet and exercise room, complimentary apples, cookies and breakfast buffet. The breakfast included egg patties, sausage, cook-yourself-waffles, high quality preserves, fresh croissant, bagels, muffins, coffee, juices. Staff were unusually attentive - replenishing the buffet, cleaning tables, and generally making sure things worked. Front desk was efficient and courteous on check in and check out. I did not make use of any business services on this visit.

Banquet facilities: I was there as part of a special event in a banquet room. Room was well appointed and well maintained, with a nice secondary lobby feeding into several surprisingly large function rooms. This facility would do well for conferences, weddings, or small high school reunions and the like.

Location: On a road with schools and businesses one mile off of I-280 and a $46 plus tolls and tip cab ride from delay plagued Newark Airport. The location requires a car.... definitely go with a rental instead of a cab.

Value: We paid $222 through hotels.com for a family of three, including a 10 buck extra person charge and all taxes and fees. This struck us as a reasonable price for what the hotel provided.

Bottom Line: This family run enterprise does a fine job of filling a niche that most of us feel comfortable in. This is not a Four Seasons or Ritz or true European Grand hotel in terms of service, quality of amenities, price, or location. It is a suburban American place that delivers what most guests value -- decent rooms, basic services as needed, and a fair price. And it does so very well. I would shave a half star off of many of my other hotel reviews after seeing how this place was run. It defines the standard for a five star experience in a reasonably priced hotel.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 January 2008

I am having a wedding next year and went to the Bridal Showcase at the Wilshire Grand. I must say i had a great time. the drinks and food were delicious and my fiance and i really enjoyed checking out every station. the ballrooms were unreal. We were invited to tour a hotel room and found the room to be beautiful. There was a jacuzzi in the actual bedroom that i honestly felt like jumping into. Though we're still undecided on where we're having our wedding, i'm pretty sure it's going to be here.

Stayed January 2008
Michigan
Reviewed 29 November 2007

I was pleasantly suprised when i arrived at the Wilshire Grand Hotel- the place was beautifully decorated with marbled floors and fine molding. The staff was very friendly and my room exceeded all my expectations. Even the bathroom had marble throughout it and i especialy enjoyed the multi-jet shower. I found the bed to be more comfortable than even my own and felt like extending my trip just to sleep in it longer. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was also delicious. I travel a lot during the year and this stay was one of my best. I definitely made the right choice and will be back.

• Liked — Friendly staff, Comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank kfj04
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 November 2007

Very nice renovated hotel. Very luxurious rooms. Bath amenities were Aveda products which are top shelf. The shower with five jets was like having a steam shower...however, a few little amenities could have made it even better. Perhaps some nice fluffy bathrobes to put on? This bathroom was huge and needed some hooks to hang clothes or towels on which it did not have. The nightly cookies and punch in the lobby were a nice touch. However, the daily included breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. The donuts and croissants were at least a day old. It would have been nice to see some variety - maybe some danish and some wheat bread also. The malted waffle mix had an odd taste. It was nice to see this but please the mix left a strange taste...They have a nice fireplace in the lobby. It was never lit even though it was very chilly outside. Also, the upstairs hallways were freezing, evidently the a/c was on...I am comparing this to the Residence Inn which is located in the same vicinity...that hotel had a nice homey feel to it. The fireplaces were always lit and they had a nice lounge with pool tables which was ever so cozy.

• Liked — Luxury accomodations
  • Disliked — sub par breakfast
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mana49
Dublin
Reviewed 17 October 2007

We stayed at the Wilshire for a month, with our whole family (4 little children). The staff and everyone else was absolutely great. Friendly, pro active, helpful. We definitely will come back, and this is a hotel that I can (and will) recommend to everyone.
Superb

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — everything was great
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!